• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Swain Resort, Western NY

duckychucky

Par Member
I just got the thumbs up for a 27 hole, lift access course at Swain Ski Resort in Western NY, one hour south of Rochester. Plans could change but as of now I'm working on the layout for a short 9 hole loop at the summit (so tourists and beginners could ride up, play 9 and ride lift back down) and a full length 18 hole course that zig zags from the summit to the base. We plan on installing the new DGA Mach X's and have 2 sets of crushed stone tees per hole.

I'm super pumped to design, install and manage my second course (first was Ausable Chasm in Northeast NY, 2011-2013).

I'm really pumped for this duckychucky, I'm in Corning, about an hour away. I saw the times will be 10am until 6pm, are those the lift times? Or do we have to be off the mountain by 6pm? Just wondering if it's going to be possible to catch a ride up the lift just before 6 and get a round in.

Any idea when the courses will be in the ground and playable?

Very cool. IMO you did a nice job with a bunch of planted trees in rows at Ausable. More courses in the Finger Lakes region is a very good thing. Look forward to playing it on one of my NY trips.

Course opens june 8th. Playing down after 6 shouldnt be a problem. Lifts run weekends in june, july, sept and oct. Course will be free to play if you want to hike when lifts are closed (no uphill traffic when lifts running). All day lift pass $8.

Design has changed since my last post. Still going with red and blue, crushed stone tees and the new DGA Mach X baskets. The par 65 course will be 18 holes (2 practice baskets and driving range field) with the front and back 9 each separately descending from the top of the lift. So you need to ride lift twice to play 18. Front 9 (par 30) will be a relatively easy walk compared to the hiking involved on back 9 (par 35). The course has many holes deep in the woods where you will forget you are at a ski resort, but each 9 finishes with long ski trail bomber holes. Hole 18 is a par 5 down Swain's widest trail, "Clark". This soon to be signature hole boasts over 550 ft of elevation drop with a length of 1,665 ft!!! (Is this the longest par 5 in the world?!?) Don't let the length fool you tho, with that much vertical drop it is reachable in 3 (if the wind is cooperating).

I'm currently finishing the work on the wooded holes and tees and we look to be on schedule for opening day, but I haved accepted a job at another establishment closer to my home, so I won't be involved in the running of the course maintenance, operations or tournaments. However, I am confident that I am leaving Swain with a top notch DGC that I am extremely excited to be able to play.

This is very exciting! Do you have an ETA on a course map?

Map of the course with hole lengths and pars...

Attachments

• dgc map w info.jpg
    dgc map w info.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 33
I'd say 4 "bombs". Holes 6, 9, 15 and 18 (which is more like 3 bombs in 1). Most of the course plays downhill but not as open as those 4.

Just out of curiosity, was that your call or did the Swain people want to sort of keep the course off the trails? I ask since I feel like the draw of ski hill courses (at least for me) is having a lot of amazing downhill shots (ie. Blue Mountain). It looks like a solid course though, I'll look forward to checking it out at some point this summer.

Being that Swain is only 600 vertical ft, I already had to do 2 9s from the top, to avoid lots of uphill holes in order to fit in 18 from the top. Also the trail "mile sweep", which front 9 follows, is the only green from the top, blue trails are really steep for hiking/dg'ing. I'll actually have a warning on scorecard that 15-18 are very steep and that you may skip them and play 2nd half of front 9 for an easier route down. The rest of the mountain is too steep at the top to have people walk down. I could have split up 18 into more holes but wanted a monster! Also I wanted a well rounded course with good woods holes, not just a novelty, every-shot-a-bomb-course that would get repetitive (not that there was room for that anyway).
I put a lot of thought into my designs and enjoy explaining why I did what I did so I hope that makes sense.

Gotcha, I haven't been to Swain in a while so I wasn't aware of the steep hill issues.

Man, that is great news.
Rochester is my hometown and I plan on visiting this Fall. Swain will definitely on my list of stops now. Can't wait to check it out.

I just saw a little blurb in our local paper about this but the website doesn't work (swain.com/discgolf/)

Is the course ready to go?