• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Switching from spin to push putting...

Unlimited

I've been using dgcoursereview as a great resource for awhile now and figure I should stop lurking. I'm giving the switch a 100% effort for at least a week because the majority of the top players recommend it for mechanical reasons and I hope to move to finish higher in advanced tournaments. Inconsistent putting rounds are holding me back big time.

Planning on playing PP 360 every day this week and posting and re evaluating the switch at the end of the week. I just started my switch today (for the second time) and am a proficient spin putter. Threw a 93 at PP 360 which is about half of my average compared to spin putting( about 180 all conditions).My line is mostly good but my angle control on my release is wonky (up down not side to side).

I have been having trouble finding some info on switching and since it seems most people start with a spin putt was hoping some of you would be able to fill me in on your experiences. How long did it take? I throw a magnets should I go more stable? Do you still push putt in the wind? Other putting drills that helped you?

The above Feldberg putting video is full of great info. I've watched it a bunch of times. I think the putter you choose to putt with is very personal. I wouldn't recommend just dropping the Magnet for a new putter. There's a reason you like it. You may still choose to putt with it even though your switching putting styles. Not all push putters choose to use an overstable disc. Perfect example is Steve Brinster. He push putts with a Classic Aviar. With that said I push putt with a KC Aviar. When I was was a spin putter, I used a DX Aviar P&A. There's a few reasons I prefer the KC Aviar for push putting. When you spin putt your disc spins a lot more. So no matter what disc you choose to putt with it will be less effected by wind than with a push putt. So having the extra stability of the KC Aviar allows me to push putt more consistently in windy conditions. Plus I feel stiffer putters are better for push putting, while softer plastics are better for spin. For me, it was a hard transition from spin to push putting. It was completely worth it though. When I was a spin putter some days I would make ever putt inside of 40'. Other days I couldn't hit a 15' putt if my life depended on it. It took a month (maybe more) of putting 15-30 minutes every day on my practice basket to effectively make the switch. Though while your making the switch I recommend still spin putting during competitive rounds (tourneys/leagues). That way you don't play terribly during competition & possibly lower your PDGA rating. The hardest parts for me to learn were proper weight shift & how to properly aim while push putting. Is looked pretty pathetic when I first started. I air balled a lot of 20' putts. The key is generating power from your lower body with the weight shift. Another key is figuring out how the proper height. Most spin putters throw a laser straight shot into the basket. Most push putters give the disc more height & let in dive into the chains. If it's windy I personally give it less height than normal but putt "harder" (more exaggerated weight shift). After a few months I felt comfortable within the circle push putting. Now (a few years later) I push out to about 50'. After that I step putt & I incorporate more spin into my putts. Since making the switch I rarely have a comeback putt more than 10' from the basket. That alone has lowered my scores. When I was a spin putter if I missed a lot of times I'd have a long comeback putt. Not with push putting. My putting has gotten a lot more consistent overall. A big key to that is when I mess up I know exactly what I did wrong. When I was a spin putter it was WAY harder to try to fix my form & diagnosis what I did wrong on bad putts. I hope this helps. Just stick with it, so promise it's worth it.

Last edited:
About a year and a half ago I switched bc I was sick of missing 15-20 foot putts and then having about the same if not longer comeback putt. Now I'm usually money inside 20-25 feet and am usually around 50% on 30-40 footers. Even if I miss I know that I will have a fairly close putt which gives me greater confidence in running longer putts. I personally putt with JK Aviars but on windy days I will use either my Rhyno or my MF Gator. I also use a Birdie for spush putt for up to 80' or so. I prefer beaded putters bc it gives me a place to put my Index finger for greater accuracy and stability. I also have found that putters which are HSS are easier to push putt with as they have less of a chance of holding a line that I accidentally apply on them upon release.

Thanks for the info, have played 2 rounds push putting and pp360 in 15 mph winds (112 ouch). Getting 6 to 8 strokes higher then I average which sucks but keep telling my self its worth it. Thanks for the info on the 1 month timeline til being competitive round applicable. I'll probably start using push in handicapped leagues to make some money off improvement and get in some pressure situations with it even though I'm told i look like,"uncoordinated baby deer" to my buddies. Hoping to convince a couple to transition with me. Time to pp360 agian in the wind.

Latest posts