• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tallest course? Nope...

Chiefstang

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
The new PDGA magazine states that a course in Sweden just claimed the title of "Tallest Course in the World". It sits at 7700 feet.

Ummmm.... I can rattle off twenty courses in Colorado higher than that. Hell, the foothill courses are above 8500 feet. Leadville sits at 10,600. Aspen is at 11,300 feet...

Not even kinda close.:doh:

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Maybe they meant tallest course in Europe, which is what it sounds like, but they should have edited that in.

Sky High is 7000+...not sure of the exact measurements.

Maybe they're thinking of "tall" as in latitude - "tallest" course (most northern) - as most world globes are positioned...although the Aussies and Kiwis with their "upsidedown" globes would debate that one big time!

Karl

Actually, the course (Torrent Disc Golf) is in Leukerbad, Switzerland. But it's still "only" at 7700 ft.

Maybe they're thinking of "tall" as in latitude - "tallest" course (most northern) - as most world globes are positioned...although the Aussies and Kiwis with their "upsidedown" globes would debate that one big time!

Karl

Even then we have a course on the north pole...

Tallest is simply a poor word to use in this context. I don't think of tall as meaning highest altitude or highest latitude. I get saying the tallest mountain, but stick a hotel on top of Everest ... does that make it the tallest hotel? Or just the hotel at the highest elevation?

When I think of tall, I think about verticality in human terms.
Could tallest imply greatest total elevation differences from tee to pin?

Jeez. There is even a more elevated course in ARIZONA!!!!
AZ Snowbowl in Flagstaff starts at 9200'.

sounds like elevation difference from tee to pin has to be it. or its a fail on the PDGA

Even then we have a course on the north pole...

I believe you're thinking of the other end of the earth, in Antarctica, at McMurdo base.

...because there is no land at the North Pole, only ice. And the way things are going, it'll soon all be water again.

I believe you're thinking of the other end of the earth, in Antarctica, at McMurdo base.

...because there is no land at the North Pole, only ice. And the way things are going, it'll soon all be water again.

You don't need land for a disc golf course. I played a tournament this past winter that put a couple temp holes out on a frozen lake. Throwing/putting from on ice is an interesting experience.

Latest posts