• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TD requirement for printed material?

Lazerface

Eagle Member
I have never ran an event, but am aware there are guidelines TDs must follow outlined in the competition manual. Is there anything that says a TD must hand out some sort of player guide, caddy book, etc when there are specific OB rules in place that are not documented on a sign or anywhere else? Is announcing the OB rules at the players meeting enough?

CASE: B-Tier this past weekend has a handful of holes on one course that have long grass areas that typically play as OB (regular OB rules). The grass was not necessarily as long as it typically is, but it is brown as opposed to green and very obvious standing on the tee, but they did not spray paint a line, so decided not to play them as traditional OB (which really ruins the course, but OK). Per the TD as of this year they are now allowed to do a distance only penalty for OB areas, so per his instruction players who landed in the long grass area were to place the disc where it was last in bounds (per normal OB rules), but without the stroke penalty.

One hole with long grass (18) actually has a roped area that is inside the long grass creating an island inside an island if you will. On that hole, we were told to play it where it lies, and DO take a stroke penalty (because the rope clearly marks an OB line).

OK, that's not too complicated...... On hole 16 there are two long grass areas on each side of the fairway. They are both brown and create a fairway of green grass between them. There is no reason to think that these two areas would be played differently. My card and all the open cards we saw, were playing as instructed - change the lie per regular OB rules but no penalty. Then we walk by an AM card and the guy says he called the TD and was gold the "left side" was "play where you land" no penalty, but the right side was the other rule "change lie, no penalty". Nobody on our card or any other person playing recalls this being said at the meeting. Apparently, it was decided we would have 3 different rules for the long grass on the course, none of which is reflected on tee signs or any material handed out to the player.

When we get back to tournament central the chaos begins. The main player who was arguing and the TD both handled it poorly (yelling, vulgar, etc), but again, ONLY the TD remembers clarifying this rule that applied only to the left side of hole 16 during the players meeting, not a single competitor I spoke to could verify this. However, 2 poor arguments were put forth by the TD 1) We have played that area that way for years now - that obviously means nothing for anyone not familiar with the course and 2) That grass is actually cut the same length as the fairway - even if that's true, that area is dark brown and it's the exact same type of grass in all other long grass areas, all of which are pretty short/matted down this time of year. But they are all brown, and a totally different type of grass (prairie type stuff) than the actual course. No person would ever assume it's any different than the other areas.

So, after much deliberation and realizing that so many players played it "wrong" the TD decides to negate the whole completely and throw out that score from each players total. All things considered, I think that was the correct call, but I was not playing for much. However, this negation actually changed the MPO top two players from being tied, to the the winner taking it down by one. Yea, 2nd place MPO guy was not happy, but kept his cool. He deserves some credit for that.

As far as the provisionals go - the TD did say, "why didn't you throw a provisional" and I tried to calmly explain to him that there would be no reason for anyone unfamiliar with the course to think that the exact grass on one side of the fairway played different from the other side. I referenced his poor arguments about what they "have done before" and the "different length". IT's a brown island for fack sake.

So, given that story, does the PDGA require materials be handed out or some other sort of reference (defined on tee sign) for rules that are outside of normal OB like sidewalks/roads, water, and clearly marked artificial OB? Even the single variance on hole 18 with the roped area inside of the long grass area was difficult for my card to remember. I told them what I recalled, but we had a player throw a provisional just in case.

There is no specific requirement that course rules and special conditions be distributed in writing. But it's a very good idea to have it documented somewhere. And also a very good practice to be sure that special areas, be they OB, hazard, or relief areas, are clearly demarcated so there is no question what is in/out or when rules apply and when they don't.

This TD sounds lazy and ill-prepared. But unfortunately, he didn't fail to do anything he's required to do if he went over the rules at the players' meeting (even if he did so poorly or unclearly).

There is no specific requirement that course rules and special conditions be distributed in writing. But it's a very good idea to have it documented somewhere. And also a very good practice to be sure that special areas, be they OB, hazard, or relief areas, are clearly demarcated so there is no question what is in/out or when rules apply and when they don't.

This TD sounds lazy and ill-prepared. But unfortunately, he didn't fail to do anything he's required to do if he went over the rules at the players' meeting (even if he did so poorly or unclearly).

I assumed this would be the response, but I think we are getting to a point where this should be required at least for A Tier and above. This was a B Tier. I'm like 90% sure he made no mention of the left side of 16 as I describe and probably did not think to because it's how they usually play it.

I should clarify that A-tiers, NTs, and Majors do have higher standards for those sorts of things, typically communicated directly to the TDs during the application process (which is more than just signing the sanctioning agreement and paying the fee). I've yet to play an event of that level that didn't have everything spelled out clearly in writing as well as clearly marked on the course, and I don't think that's entirely an accident.

Here are some "Best Practices" statements from the How to Plan a PDGA Event and How to Run a PDGA Event documents on the PDGA site:

"Quality scorecards list the hole lengths for each course layout to be played, have enough room for 5 players, feature tournament name, host club and sponsor logos across the top, course rules especially OB, TD contact information, and even have a course map on the back."

At Player Meeting or before
"You can go over hole-specific rules briefly, or better yet, have a caddy book or rules sheet that explains everything for you."

"Players need proper printed information, proper explanations at player meetings and proper signage where needed on the courses."

Here are some "Best Practices" statements from the How to Plan a PDGA Event and How to Run a PDGA Event documents on the PDGA site:

"Quality scorecards list the hole lengths for each course layout to be played, have enough room for 5 players, feature tournament name, host club and sponsor logos across the top, course rules especially OB, TD contact information, and even have a course map on the back."

At Player Meeting or before
"You can go over hole-specific rules briefly, or better yet, have a caddy book or rules sheet that explains everything for you."

"Players need proper printed information, proper explanations at player meetings and proper signage where needed on the courses."

Just to expand on this topic a little, one of the things about the PDGA sanctioning agreement that has always irked me is that it does not allow for important things like players' guides or maps to come out of entry fees. Literally everything in the 'best practices' guide are supposed to be donated or paid for via sponsorships.

For reference, here is the exact language in the tour standards:

Net Entry Fees = Gross Entry Fees minus the pass-through fees ONLY. Pass through Fees are: PDGA Per-Player Fee, Greens Fee, Regional or Series Fee only, NOT expenses.

Source: https://www.pdga.com/files/2018_tour_standards.pdf

Just to expand on this topic a little, one of the things about the PDGA sanctioning agreement that has always irked me is that it does not allow for important things like players' guides or maps to come out of entry fees. Literally everything in the 'best practices' guide are supposed to be donated or paid for via sponsorships.

Net Entry Fees = Gross Entry Fees minus the pass-through fees ONLY. Pass through Fees are: PDGA Per-Player Fee, Greens Fee, Regional or Series Fee only, NOT expenses.

Assign a value to your caddy notes/book. Include it in the value of the player pack. Expense covered.

This is why I try to go a bit above and beyond a single sheet list. Make it a book you have to pay to bind and it has value.

Assign a value to your caddy notes/book. Include it in the value of the player pack. Expense covered.

This is why I try to go a bit above and beyond a single sheet list. Make it a book you have to pay to bind and it has value.

That's an interesting work-around, although it wouldn't help with on-the-course event expenses (e.g. signage, OB line marking, etc.). In the end, though, I don't think tournament expenses *should* be work-arounds. If the PDGA really cares about the quality of sanctioned events, then the specific expenses they advocate for in their best practices guide really need to be deductable expenses. :p

That's an interesting work-around, although it wouldn't help with on-the-course event expenses (e.g. signage, OB line marking, etc.). In the end, though, I don't think tournament expenses *should* be work-arounds. If the PDGA really cares about the quality of sanctioned events, then the specific expenses they advocate for in their best practices guide really need to be deductable expenses. :p

I agree 100%.

The snag is how to prevent abuse of expensing such things. Generally speaking, the PDGA doesn't ask for itemization of the budget outside of their biggest events (Majors/NTs). So there'd have to be requirements about financial record-keeping above and beyond what exists now. TDs are obligated to provide financials when asked, but it is so rare for the local B & C tier events I doubt there are many TDs who keep receipts or even crunch their numbers that closely. So long as the payouts meet requirements and fees get paid, everyone is pretty lax on the details.

Essentially, the tournament finance policies were initially written by pros in the 70s and 80s. Those of us who later got involved in tournament finances at the PDGA level have had a challenge tweaking these traditions partly because clubs and TDs, who for a long time have been mostly pros, have been running PDGA events with free choice (they're not PDGA employees). Amateurs have largely been the source of funds covering all tournament expenses except for fees which pros have at least been paying. I'd like to see a fee or percentage from pro entries going toward expenses putting their contribution roughly on the level of what Ams have been contributing through their prize value differential for the past 25+ years.

There are plenty of workarounds- I would include any cost of production of course specific materials as part of greens fees.

The way the PDGA vets TD's needs to change as well imo.

From the TD Report Instructions page: These sheets are provided to help TDs automatically calculate payouts. information is linked from the Cover sheet for each division being hosted. Note: Entry fee boxes must be filled in on the Cover sheet before going to the Pro.Payout & Am.Jr.Payout sheets. Then, just enter the amount of net cash added or subtracted (overhead allocation) for each division and the program will calculate both exact and rounded off payout values.i

From the TD Report Payout page: Enter Added Cash (or deduction) here* >

Put your expenses in the Added Cash cell.

Negative added cash is fine. I account for every penny of my tournaments in the Added Cash calculator. My latest tournament last month had deductions for: Players Packs ($1570.37), PDGA sanctioning fee ($50), Certificate of Insurance ($50), Trophies ($126), Printing ($29.87), Ice ($3), CTP Prizes ($180). Add all those numbers up, divide it by the number of players you're distributing them to, and stick that in the Added Cash calculation.

With those numbers, every player paid $3.14 in sanctioning/insurance/trophies, $2.96 in printing/ice/CTPs, and $21.81 in playerspacks. Stick a -$27.91*numplayers in the added cash calculator.

Re-reading a little more closely, I see that my previous reply doesn't exactly answer your question. It's not about *how* to account for the regular expenses, but *why* those expenses have to be taken out of added cash instead of entry fees.

The TD report will calculate the Percent Value like so:
Rlz1EnX.jpg

Percent Value is (Purse+PP+Trophies+CTP)/(Net Entry). Net Entry is Gross Entry minus PDGA and Greens/Series fees. Therefore, tournament supplies (printing, ice, flags, rope, etc) are a net loss in the Percent Value calculation.

and at that point, yea, I have nothing else to say. Either the TD or the sponsors have to cover that in the form of added cash or lost cash.

I assumed this would be the response, but I think we are getting to a point where this should be required at least for A Tier and above. This was a B Tier. I'm like 90% sure he made no mention of the left side of 16 as I describe and probably did not think to because it's how they usually play it.

That tournament experience sounds awful. I wouldn't return.

Among the considerations in mandating printed rules are (1) Some courses have little or no OB, or its very simple ("all roads and beyond") and (2) even with printed material, sometimes things change at the last moment, after paperwork has been prepared, so announcements at the players meeting still have to be allowed.

But it's definitely a best practice. Not just for the players. As a TD, I don't want to be dealing with issues like you had; when there's a question, my first answer is always, "What does the paper say?"

O.B. defined by grass height, color, or type, is terrible. At a minimum, it could be marked by flags.

A good TD would provide both printed (tee sign or handout) and verbal delivery of these kinds of OB instructions, and here's why:

There are people who have visual impairments and can't read small print details on a map shrunk to fit on a scorecard. There are deaf people who are trying to lip read in the player meeting or get the instructions signed to them by a friend, or whatever, and may miss something in the translation. If the info is delivered both ways, it's better for all.

Excellent points.

Our course has a huge list of groundrules; I only discuss the trickiest ones at the meeting. If you have good enough written rules, you can dispense with them entirely in the announcements (and if I'm a player, I'll love you for it).

I had just that case with a last-minute change, and 3 deaf players, last event. Being unable to sign, I wrote it down, and showed all 3, before we started.

Printed maps, OB lists and general course assisting guidelines are a nice luxury. I am fine with the course "speaking" for itself. Clear demarcation of OB and a solid players meeting is fine with me. I played a tournament this weekend with a lot of OB. Paths, streams, rivers, ponds were all noted on a separate sheet and the course was well marked when it could be confusing. I had to consult the sheet only a couple times for other competitors, but even then, it was pretty clear without the sheet. Ideally, the TD is receptive to constructive criticism, if delivered via email or private IM. Else, don't play any more of his events. Around here, there is pretty decent competition for tournaments. Those running poor events would likely see a poor turn out after a while.

Printed maps, OB lists and general course assisting guidelines are a nice luxury. I am fine with the course "speaking" for itself. Clear demarcation of OB and a solid players meeting is fine with me. I played a tournament this weekend with a lot of OB. Paths, streams, rivers, ponds were all noted on a separate sheet and the course was well marked when it could be confusing. I had to consult the sheet only a couple times for other competitors, but even then, it was pretty clear without the sheet. Ideally, the TD is receptive to constructive criticism, if delivered via email or private IM. Else, don't play any more of his events. Around here, there is pretty decent competition for tournaments. Those running poor events would likely see a poor turn out after a while.

His blood pressure was high by the time we spoke after being screamed at by a guy on my card, so there was no getting through to him. They both handled it like children. He kept saying he said it at the players meeting and it's not his problem if people didn't listen, but on that particular spot that was in question, nobody was able to confirm what was actually said. Which is why it was played differently by so many cards and ultimately removed from scores entirely. It should be noted all these OB rules appeared to be decided on last minute and if you practiced the course before the tournament you would have no idea how to play the long grass. I told him that if you have 3 separate rules for the same long grass areas on a course I would recommend providing something in writing. His response was some gobaly gook about 12 hours of graphic design. That got a big laugh. Or just 17 minutes on a Word doc.....

I'm actually local to the area but we had some people travel in. I took the time to speak to some of the out of town MPO players who experienced the s#$t show and asked them to consider coming back to the area. I'm going to try and volunteer to help out next year.

I'm actually local to the area but we had some people travel in. I took the time to speak to some of the out of town MPO players who experienced the s#$t show and asked them to consider coming back to the area. I'm going to try and volunteer to help out next year.

Thats awesome of you. Don't let one iffy experience ruin the area for out-of towners and if you had issues this tourney, just find out what went wrong/could be avoided and be a part of a fix next year

Excellent points.

Our course has a huge list of groundrules; I only discuss the trickiest ones at the meeting. If you have good enough written rules, you can dispense with them entirely in the announcements (and if I'm a player, I'll love you for it).

this. one thousand times this.

I had just that case with a last-minute change, and 3 deaf players, last event. Being unable to sign, I wrote it down, and showed all 3, before we started.

In my experience about 1/3 of any given field of players may as well be deaf when you are discussing hole specific rules at a player's meeting.

Latest posts