• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

teaching a buddy how to play tomorrow...

kpc2004

Double Eagle Member
ok, my buddy has never played before and told me he needed to find some activity that he can do on weekends to help him keep his sanity while going through his first year of law school, so I am introducing him to disc golf. he has never thrown a disc before but he has played ultimate before in college. He is an athletic dude and usually picks up new sports pretty quick but i have no coaching experience in DG other than giving out free discs to kids on playgrounds and explaining the basic rules. With my buddy I want to be a little more helpful than that. Im giving him a variety of discs to get started so he can see which ones he like and what works for him and we can go from there. i want to know though, for a very first "lesson" in DG what should i tell him or what should i have him do? should i start with putting then work our way out further and further or just put him on the teebox and let him drive a couple and work our way in to the basket? any helpful comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Play a game using only mid-range discs, with no run-up. That's what I've been doing with new players lately. It lets them see how far you can get a mid, and lets them experience it, as well and keeping them from dislocating their shoulder trying to throw like gonad the barbarian ...

I'd agree with the one disc idea. If he's athletic and has played Ultimate he should be able to handle a Roc or Buzz. Stress that he throw low and straight and try to work a slight right to left line if it's available (asuming RHBH). If he's diving them too hard to the left substitute a Cobra or Stratus equivalent.

Regarding putting, I'd show him the push putt/pizza flip style just to keep the misses close. Also mention that he should just try to lay up and park anything beyond his putting comfort zone. This should keep his score reasonable and his frustration level down. If he's easy going and not worried about his score and he wants to push his putting distance or try a driver after awhile let him go for it. That's my general approach with newbies.

Yeah, you can't emphasize not to strong arm it enough. Show him some grips, show him what a smooth throw looks like and just have fun with it.

thanks for the suggestions keep em coming!!! and yes, he is RHBH (at least thats how he played ultimate so thats how im going to teach him)

here is a list of the stack i was gonna let him choose from:
1)170g Z Buzzz
2)178g dx cobra
3)172g champ valkyrie
4)150g champ leopard
5)175g pro leopard
6)175g champ beast
7)166g JLS
8)175g SS Wizard
9)175g r-pro dart

and then i have various higher speed drivers for him to use later down the road.

Cobra or the Buzz for starting out, maybe with the Wizard for putting. Then maybe one of the Leopards or the JLS. That's a nice lineup you have there that should keep him busy for good while.

i gave my sisters boyfriend (who just started playing this week, i gave him my ghetto basket, a broken in KC Pro Roc (170g) and a Warlock (174) and he's already addicted.

make sure they understand to STAND BEHIND the person throwing.

tell him when he gets to the tee to pretend he's on a deserted island. The disc in his hand is his only means of hunting for food. Throw the disc as if you were throwing it a small animal to kill it for survival.

My advice is pretty simple, give him an understable disc and let him go. Possibly change his disc to suit his throw. Just let him play and if he is interested he will ask for some advice. If you overwhelm him with different techniques and advice I can guarantee that you will lose him as a future player. Disc golf is about getting outside and having fun - that is what you should emphasize.

Driver -- DX Leopard or maybe faster to a DX Valkyrie
Midrange -- KC Pro Roc....or a buzz (yes, i said it)
Putter -- DX Rhyno

All are decently stable, but not to understable (in case he does have one of those..."damn, you sure u haven't played before"...arms) and all show signs of bad form, bad angles, and OAT. Especially the KC Roc.

Learn to get rid of those problems early with discs that show flaws and you're golden.

A bunch of overstable stuff wouldn't and -- from what I've seen -- usually doesn't make for a good nor fun first round.

--my $00.02--

:thmbup:

make sure their index finger is UNDER the disc, on the rim...not going on the outside of the rim

this is the first time i've heard this advice, and am curious if i've been throwing wrong for the last ten years or if i'm just misunderstanding....

for putts and control shots, i do put my index ON the rim, not the beveled edge under it.

is this what you're suggesting? (on the beveled edge, NOT the physically outer-most part of the disc?)

this is the first time i've heard this advice, and am curious if i've been throwing wrong for the last ten years or if i'm just misunderstanding....

for putts and control shots, i do put my index ON the rim, not the beveled edge under it.

is this what you're suggesting? (on the beveled edge, NOT the physically outer-most part of the disc?)

The only time my finger isn't under the disc is when I'm inside the 10 meter circle, and the 'pro' that's been giving me lessons lately told me to quit doing it even then. He recommends using a control grip with the rim of the disc right in the middle of the pad on your index finger, and a driving grip where the index finger is touching the flight plate. I'm still trying to get used to that.

if he plays ultimate then have him throw his first few rounds ultra class style, he'll know how the disc flies and he can pick up the basics. after that, give him a mid and putter and see how he does from there

Start with a warm up and let him empty your bag in an open area a couple of times. It's really discouraging to just step up to a tee box on your first throw and have no idea what the disc is going to do.

he means:
"correct"- pad of index pressed against the inside wall of the rim.
"incorrect"- on the beveled or slanted rim

I used "" because people still use both with sucess, just most will find the first to work better.

When I take a newb out for the first time we play a regular round on an easy course. (Usually a nine hole.) I provide said newb with discs that are dupes of what I'm carrying. I usually throw first and I describe the shot I intend to make. (Yeah this sometimes gets embarrassing.) I'll tell him why I'm using a particular disc and what I expect it to do. Then I ask him to call his shot. Mostly we use a fast mid, a slow mid and a putter. (Which is perfect on a short nine hole.) I avoid using my drivers unless the newb shows that he may be able to handle them. That's where I demonstrate over and under stable discs. Some people never get this far. HTH.