• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tell me what looks wrong.

AirMcNair

Double Eagle Member
Here are three separate drives broken down. I want to see what you all think could be fixed. I know it is not a video but I am hoping you can still critique my run up on my drive. I use a mix of a x-step and a hop to plant.

DSC_0423.jpg

DSC_0424.jpg

DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0426.jpg

I'm probably the least experienced one who will reply, but 2 things jump right out. Take your left hand off the disc and get it out of the way, and let your weight come forward more on your follow-through. Oh, and your pull is inconsistent. On the 1st and 3rd throws, it's down around your chest, but in throw 2, it's up by your chin. Hope this helps. :)

I'm probably the least experienced one who will reply, but 2 things jump right out. Take your left hand off the disc and get it out of the way, and let your weight come forward more on your follow-through. Oh, and your pull is inconsistent. On the 1st and 3rd throws, it's down around your chest, but in throw 2, it's up by your chin. Hope this helps. :)

Ya I have always done the hand thing. I'm not really holding on to the disc just have my hand touching it.

On each of these throws there is another picture of more follow through but I didn't add them in not knowing how many pics I could do in one post.

I notice that the 2nd one is a little high. I think I was trying to throw the disc higher and I tend to do that when Im trying to get it some more loft.

Thanks for the info, any and every thing helps.

You can't be sure without a video, but you could increase the speed of you body turn by keeping your left arm closer to your body. It also would appear that your left arm is acting as a counter balance to your forward progress too. (It doesn't appear to be an issue on the third throw.)

Of course, without a video, there is no way of knowing if you bring your arm in before the body turn ala Dan Beto, but from the pics of the first two throws, it appears you're not.

So if I get more weight towards my pivot foot I could get more D? Its weird because I don't feel like I am strong arming it. When I do strong arm it I can tell immediately.

X-step looks pretty good and fairly consistent. If u have some pics of your reachback position that would help. Plant looks okay and you seem to plant before you start the pull, which is good. You could maybe get your upper body more over the plant foot to help get your weight into the shot. Watch some videos of the Champ, Ken Climo, and see how he really leans into the shot. This is exactly what I'm working on now and if ur gonna copy somebody, KC is a pretty good example to follow!

So if I get more weight towards my pivot foot I could get more D? Its weird because I don't feel like I am strong arming it. When I do strong arm it I can tell immediately.

Strong arming isn't a feeling. You aren't using energy from your torso effectively. Check out Dave Feldberg in this short video. He brings his left arm in before he throws and is leaning forward with all of his weight on the front foot on release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7nwnrYHFHI&feature=player_detailpage

X-step looks pretty good and fairly consistent. If u have some pics of your reachback position that would help.

Out of all the pics my wife took this is the only one she got of the reach back and its a little high but here it is.

DSC_0574.jpg

Strong arming isn't a feeling. You aren't using energy from your torso effectively. Check out Dave Feldberg in this short video. He brings his left arm in before he throws and is leaning forward with all of his weight on the front foot on release.

OK I see what you are talking about the left arm. He brings it in before he reaches back and how his weight is transferred to the front foot.

OK I see what you are talking about the left arm. He brings it in before he reaches back and how his weight is transferred to the front foot.

Moving the body forward during release is a good way to correct a lot of the problems at once.

Last edited:
You look fairly tall. I am almost 6'4'' and I always run out of teepad and it messes up my footing. It looks like you are ready to fall off that pad on each of those throws. Try to start a step behind and that may help you mentally give yourself room to transfer your weight at the end of your throw.

(that is if the teepads aren't raised?!?! Lame!)

Moving the body forward during release is a good way to correct a lot of the problems at once.

I will try that out today. Thanks.

You look fairly tall. I am almost 6'4'' and I always run out of teepad and it messes up my footing. It looks like you are ready to fall off that pad on each of those throws. Try to start a step behind and that may help you mentally give yourself room to transfer your weight at the end of your throw.

(that is if the teepads aren't raised?!?! Lame!)

I'm about 6'2 and I have tried that but like you said its a mental thing. My mental thing is stepping up on the teepads. When I try that it messes with my x step and then everything bad follows. I actually try to stop like 5 inches before the tee pad ends (if I think about it). Thanks for the tip. The place I've been playing lately has longer pads so I will try to start back further.

Out of all the pics my wife took this is the only one she got of the reach back and its a little high but here it is.

DSC_0574.jpg

looks like all the weight is on your back foot... i bet this throw went nose up.

LEAN forward. Bend at your waist and get your chin over the tips of your shoes.

Also, check out where your eyes are. They should be either on your disc (reach back) or looking at your target (pull through).

looks like all the weight is on your back foot... i bet this throw went nose up.

LEAN forward. Bend at your waist and get your chin over the tips of your shoes.

Also, check out where your eyes are. They should be either on your disc (reach back) or looking at your target (pull through).

It actually went pretty flat and was parked.

I do need to lean more forward. I think if I can get more over the disc I will get more distance.

The eyes thing is a little trick I have taught myself if I am pulling my drives. I look left so that my hips follow through the same time as my arm which makes me throw straighter. I know its weird but it works.

These two shots are my follow through after that reach back shot.

DSC_0575.jpg

DSC_0576.jpg