• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Tenacity vs. Vanish vs. Catalyst

alfonseski

Birdie Member
So I like to throw understable stuff, hyzerflip to flat that sort of thing. Come from an ultimate background. I can throw around 400. I have been throwing the Catalyst for a while, it bombs and is basically the same thing as a star Shryke. Mine is a bit more US than that but only because its more beat in. I also have a tenacity, the tenacity is interesting as it is less high speed stable than the catalyst but seems to have more fade. I use it for big long turnovers usually but I can hyzerflip it to straight though I do not seem to get the distance the catalyst will get on the same throw. I had bought a proton Vanish(usually get neutron) when I was excited to buy the mayhem and they did not have it bought the Vanish. I did not give it that much of a look at first. But I was out throwing it early and it flies beautifully, seems somewhere inbetween the tenacity and the catalyst. Thoughts on these discs anyone? I have not tried the relativity, which would add to the confusion.

I miss when golf discs were named after animals and "Moray" was about as weird as it got. :|

Sorry, drifting....

Never thrown the Tenacity or Catalyst, but I love the Vanish. For me its like a Tern, but slightly faster. Great glide and penetration. I'm a 400'ish thrower myself, and the Vanish was going over 400' on every throw. One good bomb went 450'.

I would love to try some of the other faster discs from MVP/Axiom. SERIOUS distance potential. The Vanish might be longer than any disc I own.... and I own a hell of a lot of them.

Never thrown the Tenacity or Catalyst, but I love the Vanish. For me its like a Tern, but slightly faster. Great glide and penetration. I'm a 400'ish thrower myself, and the Vanish was going over 400' on every throw. One good bomb went 450'.

I would love to try some of the other faster discs from MVP/Axiom. SERIOUS distance potential. The Vanish might be longer than any disc I own.... and I own a hell of a lot of them.

Catalyst is longer and faster

I miss when golf discs were named after animals and "Moray" was about as weird as it got. :|

Sorry, drifting....

There are still good animals left too. Lion and Tiger are still available. So is Giraffe. Donkey, Horse, Bull, Racoon - basically all the non-glide animals. Platipus glide though - so do Killer Whales. Flying Fish both glide and Fly - should have been a disc a long time ago. Albatross, Wahoo (oh, nevermind, Wahoo is taken...) I can think a few discs that could be renamed 'the Skunk'. That said, my favorite unused animal name is Sloth. Still think that would suit a lid.

So I like to throw understable stuff, hyzerflip to flat that sort of thing. Come from an ultimate background. I can throw around 400. I have been throwing the Catalyst for a while, it bombs and is basically the same thing as a star Shryke. Mine is a bit more US than that but only because its more beat in. I also have a tenacity, the tenacity is interesting as it is less high speed stable than the catalyst but seems to have more fade. I use it for big long turnovers usually but I can hyzerflip it to straight though I do not seem to get the distance the catalyst will get on the same throw. I had bought a proton Vanish(usually get neutron) when I was excited to buy the mayhem and they did not have it bought the Vanish. I did not give it that much of a look at first. But I was out throwing it early and it flies beautifully, seems somewhere inbetween the tenacity and the catalyst. Thoughts on these discs anyone? I have not tried the relativity, which would add to the confusion.

I'm at 1045 meters in Calgary, about 375 on drives and the Catalyst is my go to driver. On a full power rip from me it holds a turn for a long ways, but is easy to dial in the late, light fade. I don't worry about it flipping. It's been a while since I took the Vanish out, but I recall it not seeming very dissimilar to the Wave I'd been bagging before it. At similar power as my Catalyst, I find the Wave would hold the turn all the way over sometimes, a bit less stable for me and the Vanish is to be slightly less than that. So I'd agree Catalyst is above the Vanish in stability, but neither Vanish nor Wave stood out for notable fade in my recollections, which leaves the Tenacity in all this perhaps still a bit more stable. I'll field test again, I'm curious now.

Last edited:
I'm a huge, huge fan of the Mayhem. It's significantly outdrives any of the other MVP/Axiom discs i own (and i have a lot). My arm speeds puts me in the 165-169 range, but it fights wind like other brands 175g discs. FYI Proton seems to be a bit more stable than the Neutron.