• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tennis shoes okay for golf?

One of my friends plays in flip flops, and crushes most everyone. None of us know how he does it. I'd break an ankle if I tried to drive in those. In wintertime, we all laugh because he has to wear shoes like the rest of us, but as soon as it gets drier in the Spring, he's back in flip flops, throwing 400ft again.

Two weeks ago I went to our weekly straight after work and forgot my golf shoes. I was wearing cheapo Vans that day. Before I got to our first hole, the lateral sides of both of my knees were starting to ache. On my second drive of the day, my left knee tendons seized up on me and caused some weird cramping. After 16 ounces of some electrolytes that my buddy was carrying and 5 holes later I was able to walk normally. The next day my lateral tendons were extremely sore and it felt like I tore my acl again. Today the knees are just starting to feel somewhat normal again. I will never even just go for a walk in my Vans again.

Moral of the story/thread: Wear solid, comfortable shoes that have arch support when discing.

There are like 5 active shoe threads at the moment. The general consensus is use common sense. I see the problem already.

lol. 5 threads are necessary.

Ya need comfy driving shoes to get to the course. Then something grippy and supportive, yet not bulky for concrete tees. A boat shoe for wet tees. Hip boots or waders maybe required in some situations. A pair of comfortable hikers with just the right amount of lug... not too heavy if you're going multiple rounds. Spikeless footgear for delicate bent grass greens. Turf tees= indoor soccer shoes, winter rounds call for...

I like moccasins for just standing around waiting for players to change into the proper shoe.

Don't get me going on socks and laces.

I disc in tennis shoes. A lot of the strain that tennis puts on shoes is the same strain you put on shoes while discing. Although, to a much lesser extent in disc golf.

Shoes made for tennis are my preferred disc golf shoe. A good pair will offer reinforced sidewalls due to the general stopping motion that tennis players constantly use. This is a similar stopping motion to what we use when we plant for a backhand drive.

I've used other types of sneakers like basketball, running and cross-training and have blown out the sidewall fairly quick on all of them.

I must be getting old.

Shoes are the most important piece of equipment for me when discing. I need comfortable that provide support and won't slip.

Why stop at shoes?

51ARL-VyOzL._SY450_.jpg

I'd been wearing various outdoor/trail shoes for a few years, including Keen WPs, various goretex adidas, merrills, columbias, but lately, i've just been wearing mid-sole adidas basketball shoes. To me they're a little more comfortable, and I haven't had any issues with slipping or ankle support. It's worth noting I used to play in the wet woods of VA and NC, and now I mostly play park style courses in SoCal. I still keep the waterproof merrills in the trunk just in case. But as long as you aren't sliding around the course you should be fine.

Are "Tennis Shoes" a defined type of shoe? I always call any shoe not of a distinctive type as "tennis shoes". If it isn't a loafer, dress shoe, sandal, water shoe, docksider, hiking boot, snow boot, ski boot, cleats (of any variety), or slipper, it is a tennis shoe.

Are "Tennis Shoes" a defined type of shoe? I always call any shoe not of a distinctive type as "tennis shoes". If it isn't a loafer, dress shoe, sandal, water shoe, docksider, hiking boot, snow boot, ski boot, cleats (of any variety), or slipper, it is a tennis shoe.

Same. Tennis shoe just means generic non-dress shoe.

Yes, tennis shoes are not the best option if you want to play golf. They feel different, and you can also damage the grass, which can have significant consequences.

Alright, I'll bite. Please elaborate on how tennis shoes will damage the grass, and what "significant consequences" will occur as a result. :popcorn:

Back in August after another set of tennis shoes were destroyed, from playing out of creeks or just heavy dew in the morning and going thru a pair of tennis shoes about once every few months. I decided to do a search on amazon for "Disc Golf Shoes". There are a few listed for Disc Golf, but the rest are waterproof. I ended up ordering Nortiv 8 light weight hiking boots that have been outstanding keeping my feet dry and have held up structurally. There are heavier, so they have helped keep my feet low during my swing. I think the boots will be too hot to wear in the summer months, so I plan on picking up the high top Nortiv 8 tennis shoes which are waterproof as well.

Back in August after another set of tennis shoes were destroyed, from playing out of creeks or just heavy dew in the morning and going thru a pair of tennis shoes about once every few months. I decided to do a search on amazon for "Disc Golf Shoes". There are a few listed for Disc Golf, but the rest are waterproof. I ended up ordering Nortiv 8 light weight hiking boots that have been outstanding keeping my feet dry and have held up structurally. There are heavier, so they have helped keep my feet low during my swing. I think the boots will be too hot to wear in the summer months, so I plan on picking up the high top Nortiv 8 tennis shoes which are waterproof as well.

I got a pair of Adidas Terrex Swift this past summer and played over 180 rounds in all weather conditions. They are starting to show a little wear, but are still in really good shape.

In my experience tennis or basketball shoes would be falling apart after that much use.

Latest posts