• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Terms from Golf that Maybe Shouldn't Be?

Even in ball golf, the use of the word "tee" does not refer to the teeing area, it actually refers to the device holding the ball. A "tee box" is simply the area in which you can place your tee.

I saw one review on here that referred to the tee boxes as "launching pads".

That's simply not correct. "Tee" refers to both the device and the area from which you hit your first shot. "On the tee" is a commonly used phrase, as is "which tees are we playing?". The term "tee box" is rarely if ever used.

IMO the OP makes good points. There are terms that make sense regardless of which golf game is being played ("par", "tee", even "fairway"), and those that don't make sense ("hole", "green").

I've played ball golf for 40 years and disc golf for three, but my inclination to avoid the terms that to me don't make sense is based in logic rather than a need for disc golf to have its own identity or whatever.

"Hole 5" or "the 5th hole" just sounds dumb in disc golf. Why not just refer to it as "Number 5" or even "5" as in "I deuced 5 yesterday".

That's simply not correct. "Tee" refers to both the device and the area from which you hit your first shot. "On the tee" is a commonly used phrase, as is "which tees are we playing?". The term "tee box" is rarely if ever used.

Yes, but tee box is slang for "teeing ground" which is a defined word in the Rules of Golf. Most people, I agree, shorten it to "you're on the tee" or "who has the tee?" or "hitting three from the tee." :)

Teeing Ground

The "teeing ground'' is the starting place for the hole to be played. It is a rectangular area two club-lengths in depth, the front and the sides of which are defined by the outside limits of two tee-markers. A ball is outside the teeing ground when all of it lies outside the teeing ground.

I've played ball golf for 40 years and disc golf for three, but my inclination to avoid the terms that to me don't make sense is based in logic rather than a need for disc golf to have its own identity or whatever.

Well, that too. :D

"Hole 5" or "the 5th hole" just sounds dumb in disc golf. Why not just refer to it as "Number 5" or even "5" as in "I deuced 5 yesterday".

"Number" is definitely better than "Route!" Still think you could just call it "Basket 5". Obviously if someone says they "parred number five" or "parred basket 5" you'll know what they mean, the same way someone can "birdie the fifth hole" in golf.

We just played on an original pole hole Sunday. No, not the Steady Ed invention but a hole created on the ground with 15" high wicket fencing linked together to create a 24" circle on the ground. There was a pole or stake stuck in the ground in the middle so you could see it from a distance. These ground baskets as they were also called were some of the original targets before Ed's Pole Hole. Apparently the falling putt rule resulted from use of these early ground targets when Dan "Stork" Roddick would do a dead fall toward the ground basket and reach forward to tap in.. er, I mean drop in his putt.

There is no point in telling the original poster anything. Real golf sucks anyways.

Everytime someone tells you their opinion on a term you basically say no your wrong heres why and im not listening. That my friend makes you super cool. And I really do think ball golf sucks, its not my cup of tea. The guys who do it and are good I give them lots of credit it is a super hard sport. Basketball and football share the term field goal, soccer and hockey share gooooooaaaaaaalllll. Disc golf has the word golf in it how the hell is it not similar to golf. One swings clubs we swing our arms. One projects balls we project discs. One sinks a putt into a hole we sink a putt into a basket. I cant take this thread anymore, Im going to find a good johnny depth thread to read.

Steady Ed's patent was for the disc pole hole.

Thanks. I agree. (smiley here if I wasn't over my smiley limit for this post)

It doesn't apply to spin putters though. They're not so much pushing the disc.

Except disc golf isn't golf. It's like golf, it borrows heavily from golf, but I think it's fine to forge your own identity as a sport, and borrowing too heavily inhibits that, IMO.

Everyone's definition of "within putting distance" changes, though, so there's still no clearly defined "green." And you're still basing the use of the term "green" on another word that may or may not really apply (but asking to rename putters and "putting" isn't going to change, that one's TOO entrenched, and even I can see that :D).

Y'all have convinced me "fairway" is okay. You win on that one. :)

Not to change the subject, then, but what do you call a five footer in disc golf? A five footer is about the equivalent of a one-footer in golf, but you can't "tap" the chains. Is there a word for it?

I really don't hope you're calling me a "lexicon nazi." I like to think about these things from time to time. The way we use words interests me.

May strike a few people here as odd but I'm okay with "tee." Yes it's the plastic or wooden thing in golf, but it's also more generally the area from which you begin play. Not every course has a "pad" so I don't personally like "pad" as a replacement. "Tee" strikes me as okay.

The only other way you could really go with this if you didn't want to use the word "tee" would be to call it a "line" or a box. Tennis has a defined area from which you're allowed to serve and it's all behind the service line and within the ends of it (from the middle to the outer edge). So you could call something the "Snap Line" or something like that in disc golf (snap coming from one of the other poster's suggestions). "Starting Line" sounds too much like a race.

So the way I see it you call it a "line" or a "box" or a "tee."

Soccer ("football" outside the U.S.) also uses the word "tackle."

I don't think I've ever seen that word used.

Yeah, I don't know. "Route" isn't a good replacement, nor is something like "Man, Test 15 was a brute today!" "Basket" would be the equivalent in golf (the specific hole in the ground can also refer to the entire region from tee to green inclusive, so the specific basket could also refer to the entire region as well). So "Basket 15 was a brute today" would be the likely equivalent. It seems okay to me. I know nobody here likes it though. :)

As in golf, you can say "the hole was tucked today" just as you can say "the basket was tucked today" and you can say "hole 13 was into the wind" just like you could say "basket 13 was into the wind" referring to the entirety.

"Snap" seems okay. But then would you rename "drivers" in disc golf to be "snappers" or "snap discs"?

Shank is another golf term I'm not terribly cool with using here. There's no hosel off which to hit a disc in disc golf. :)

No problem here with "approach" shot. That's general in golf and disc golf.

I'm okay with "par" too. It's become pretty general. We use the phrase "up to par," and golf gets the third definition of "par" on dictionary.com. And since we can use "par" I think "birdie" and "bogey" are okay. As a golfer, I don't have any problems with "par" being used.

Sounds like a double standard, and maybe it is, but I think rejecting the word "green" is not really the same as rejecting the word "par." :D

Anyway, thanks for the discussion guys. I appreciate it. And like I said you've convinced me that "fairway" is okay.

Steady Ed's patent was for the disc pole hole.

As many things as have been said by many, no one seems to have an argument for this one.

If you are in a sanctioned event and somone jumps your box the offender should be stroked......twice.

As many things as have been said by many, no one seems to have an argument for this one.

There's still no "hole." It's a basket. Or the annoying announcer who calls it a "bucket." :)

The "pole hole" isn't used anymore, is it? We've moved up to baskets in the air, not holes in the ground.

Why do we call the color green green? Why dont we call it blue? Because everyone else calls it green. That's how it started and I'm nostalgic.

Yes, but tee box is slang for "teeing ground" which is a defined word in the Rules of Golf. Most people, I agree, shorten it to "you're on the tee" or "who has the tee?" or "hitting three from the tee." :)

Frequently the term teebox is instead shortened to box as in "it's your box, shut up and throw", and last person to throw is called BOB (Back Of the Box), as in "dangit I'm BOB again, guess I'll hafta spot".

Why do we call the color green green? Why dont we call it blue? Because everyone else calls it green. That's how it started and I'm nostalgic.

Maybe the color that you call green actually looks like the color I call blue. Can you describe what green looks like to you?

Maybe the color that you call green actually looks like the color I call blue. Can you describe what green looks like to you?

That's what I'm talking about! Words are meaningless. It would be awesome to see thru others eyes. Imagine a field of blue hay or purple cows.

Back to the op. I have always wondered about the tee box. We could really call that something else. I like launching pad.

There's still no "hole." It's a basket. Or the annoying announcer who calls it a "bucket." :)

The "pole hole" isn't used anymore, is it? We've moved up to baskets in the air, not holes in the ground.

I'm not sure that's right. The basket, aka "flying disc entrapment device," USPTO 4039189, IS what's called the disc pole hole. Reading about Ed Headrick pretty much anywhere states this.

http://www.google.com/patents/US403...Pq3BOrU2AXq_IDQDA#v=onepage&q=4039189&f=false

I don't understand why anyone would care that much...and I say hole 5. Basket 5 sounds super corny.

It should sound corny....after all corn goes in bushel baskets.

Sorry for the corny joke.

You know, it sort of starts off with the name of the sport: disc GOLF.

If we're gonna go on and make up our own terminology, why don't we start by calling it disc BLERCH instead?

Why not? 'Cause it sounds STOOPID, that's why not!

Hey, it's disc golf! It's got fairways! It's got greens! It's got holes (some of 'em are A-holes)! Now STFU and throw! :D

Latest posts