• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Terrewalks by Terrecon for Teepads

JeremyKShort

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Does anyone have any experience with the Terrewalks sold through Houck? We have a course going in and have to do some sort of non permanent tee pad, basically not concrete, something that can be easily removed if the plans for the property change. We had already budgeted for concrete tees, so cost isn't an issue, we are just curious what anyone who has used them think of them.

The Terrecon website has some info. Says they may be marginally more expensive than concrete (depending on various factors), but better in many ways (they claim).

I suspect disc golf is a new use, and there's very little experience as teepads.

Very intriguing, though, especially for ourselves, as we dream of better teepads than what we've got, and know that concrete would be difficult to install in some of our tee locations.

The Terrecon website has some info. Says they may be marginally more expensive than concrete (depending on various factors), but better in many ways (they claim).

I suspect disc golf is a new use, and there's very little experience as teepads.

Very intriguing, though, especially for ourselves, as we dream of better teepads than what we've got, and know that concrete would be difficult to install in some of our tee locations.

Thanks David. I've checked the website, does look intriguing. Hoping someone had some actual experience or got a quote. I guess we will wait for someone to take the plunge.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411146690.534023.jpg
This is from the Clay, AL course.
Pretty cheap if you can find some used AstroTurf like from a school or something

I wouldn't have expectations that Terrewalks is intended to be a
"All the benefits of a concrete tee at bargain cut rate cost!"
(or even really coming out even on cost if concrete labor or material donations are involved, as they often are)

rather, I see it as indicated when you want the quality use level of the gold standard (concrete tees),
When the usual is not possible or not permitted

Thats where the eco-babble stuff comes in from their website. It is being presented as a way to gain concrete outcomes in situations where one needs to fit within some green regulations or the like - whether those restrictions or stipulations make sense is beside the point. Or…also in our sports case, when the physical topography calls for the benefits of modular or long term, or solid transient installation.

Note how they have the LEED credits information so prominent even on their front page. To me… that does not mean cheaper, usually that means the opposite, dozen't it?. But good to have as a work around tool if a project runs into a wall of concrete resistance.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get a sample to test out. Could be perfect for our private course. Need ability to move tees over time.
This site may need a "Terrewalks" listing for tee type soon if they work out. Wouldn't want to put "other" and nobody shows up.

Has anyone heard more on this?

We have a new course going in soon and can't use concrete.

Right now we are looking at:

Rubber - Top choice just because we have used it before at our other course
Turf - Still need to compare costs to rubber
Terrewalk - First we are hearing of this and the club is intrigued. Did anyone ever get a quote?

We finally got a quote for these. It's going to be a bit over three grand for nine holes, so it's way out of our budget.

I'm trying to get a sample to test out. Could be perfect for our private course. Need ability to move tees over time.
This site may need a "Terrewalks" listing for tee type soon if they work out. Wouldn't want to put "other" and nobody shows up.

Doesn't seem like these are really that "easy" to move unless you went with the rubber ones?

Last edited:
Yupp, the price point seems to fit the Terrawalk usage role of a non concrete option when needed to meet some restrictions - when financial resources are not a major inhibitor.

Best matches would be when its municipal's money, grants, etc.

In that world, disc golf is still a really cheap line item compared to most. Compared to a parking lot, restroom facility, tennis court,anything where there is paid labor,... even a ADA compliant sidewalk, etc...
..or planning!

Case study: A much anticipated, much longed for skatepark went in to a community park near some of our courses. Sure, there had been some grassroots fundraising going on for decades which had gained a small amount. Small fundraisers, fundraising comps, etc.

Total costs as reported by local paper of about 1 million. The contract to actually build it was about 600k. And 400K went to... yupp... you guessed it - planning.

Last edited:
I'll add this addendum:

I love that disc golf is self made. I mean it. I really like that most clubs operate on shoestring budgets, watch every penny, and spend wisely and with much thought. We overdo it sometimes, end up cutting off our toes to save a few dollars, but I like it better than the alternative.

Another case example: I sat in representing disc golf at a regional closed panel strategic planning thing for an open space project. Trail groups, MTbs, birdwatchers, hikers, a pile of enviro engineers and conservationalists and so on and so on.

Aside from the MTbike group (who seemed pretty self made and grassrootsy - and zealous) I was taken back by how dependent all the other groups and individuals were on grants. Grant this..and Grant that.. and this special fund... and that special fund... the numbers were overwhelming. 1 million here, 2.5 there... with strategic talks about "how do we write our grant to beat someone elses", "how to we grab the cash?"

I had to share with those with me in breakout sessions how different this was from disc golf usual. If we want something... we fundraise for it ourselves. Or we make it. Or we do both. And sweat, or wait till we can. We might have to beg for stuff, or permission, but I like that on a local level we're not at the whims of a grant cycle.

I've always had an interest in that synthetic tennis court material, it is similar to AstroTurf/carpet. It is my understanding it is about 1.5 inches thick and a material similar to sand is worked down into it. It is suppose to hold up very well and does not get slick when wet, and does not wear your shoes out

Latest posts