• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Texas noob

mark996

Double Eagle Member
Fresh, zip, zilch, no experience what so ever other than throwing a frisbee around the college courtyard for 3 years. I'm an avid mountain bike racer and a group I ride with loves to go out and play disc golf, so I've been reading as much as I can, gonna buy some discs this week and head off to get some time in throwing. The only disc I know so far that I want, is a Buzzz, beyond that it's all gonna be some trial and error. I know I wanna start with 3, maybe 4 to begin with just to get my basics down and go from there.

My thoughts are...
Driver: Eclipse
Mid: Buzzz
Putter: Rattler

I'm fortunate to have some pretty decent courses around me here in the Dallas area, so looking forward to getting out during the weekday mornings and learning all I can. Should be fun.

Welcome to the wonderful world of disc golf! Dallas is a great area to be as there are a ton of great courses to play and tournaments seem to be going on almost every weekend. I don't need to tell you were to go because I'm sure you've already accessed the course database on DGCR but let me give you a few disc recommendations.

Surge, Buzzz, Comet and Challenger/Focus/Magnet <---- whichever feels better in the hand

Welcome to the sport! From a fellow Texan's perspective, you've picked the perfect time to get into the sport, the weather has been absolutely spectacular lately!!

Pick up a Challenger, a Buzz, and an Eagle and have at it.

Welcome from a fellow DFW Texan! :) Personally, I would just stick with a putter for a few weeks or so and just go throw and try to keep the disc level, flat, etc. When you're consistently able to achieve that combined with about 150-200ft distance, then perhaps move to your mid range discs. Don't make the mistake so many of us made, throwing discs they shouldn't be throwing so early on! ;) lol...

Welcome Mark. I'm in Rowlett too. The Buzzz was one of my first four discs that I started with, along with my putting putter (SS Omega), a Challenger for approaches and my first driver a JLS. Don't bother with Springfield park unless you're a course bagger like me and just want to check it off the list. The venerable Harry Myers in Rockwall is great and close by. It along with BB Owen and Paschall are my favorites that are nearby, but I try to play all over. Porter Elementary in Mesquite is a nice beginner 9 hole park that still has some character but is not too punishing.

Last edited:
Welcome Mark. I'm in Rowlett too. The Buzzz was one of my first four discs that I started with, along with my putting putter (SS Omega), a Challenger for approaches and my first driver a JLS. Don't bother with Springfield park unless you're a course bagger like me and just want to check it off the list. The venerable Harry Myers in Rockwall is great and close by. It along with BB Owen and Paschall are my favorites that are nearby, but I try to play all over. Porter Elementary in Mesquite is a nice beginner 9 hole park that still has some character but is not too punishing.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Curtis, yeah I've read (on here) about Springfield Park, not a good place to play, but I am like you, I may go out at least to see it, if nothing else there is a large field nearby I could practice my throws. I figured Harry Meyers will be my "home" course, I work in Mesquite so those of course will have to get played some as well. BB Owen is only about 20 minutes away so that's total doable as well. It'd be easy to go bike White Rock Lake and then go play 9 holes at BB Owen afterwards.

BB Owen is a very compact course and plays quickly, you should have time for all 18. Take a map the first time you go, the layout on the front nine can be frustrating.