• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The anti-"wide-rimmed driver" thread.

Star Shark said:
In addition they learn that to throw these discs marginally straight they have to throw with anhyzer and then think that this is the proper way to throw the disc. They'd be much better off with Teebirds, Leopards, Rivers and XLs

This. I have a few buddies that started with higher speed stuff (one a Destroyer, the other a Wraith, which is not quite in the 'warp-speed' catagory but the point stands.) They release with huge amounts of anhyzer on every throw, and hope that it comes back where they want it.

Of course I'm still tweaking my form to get even better, rather than just making my current skills work, so they routinely beat me and refuse to listen to pretty much any tips I try to give them. Given the fact that they beat me, I don't make too much fuss about it, but I think if these two went out to a field and really hammered the drills from this board they could be fantastic. As it stands they only have one teeshot in their bag: Big ol' S-curve.

An odd sidenote, because they use such high speed drivers most of the time, they typically throw approches with Starfire-speed discs. I don't know that i've ever seen either of them throw a mid - much less a putter - on approaches. I think this is related to the form deficiency in their drives, that they have trouble finessing lower-speed discs.

DsmDisc said:
Star Shark said:
In addition they learn that to throw these discs marginally straight they have to throw with anhyzer and then think that this is the proper way to throw the disc. They'd be much better off with Teebirds, Leopards, Rivers and XLs

This. I have a few buddies that started with higher speed stuff (one a Destroyer, the other a Wraith, which is not quite in the 'warp-speed' catagory but the point stands.) They release with huge amounts of anhyzer on every throw, and hope that it comes back where they want it.

Of course I'm still tweaking my form to get even better, rather than just making my current skills work, so they routinely beat me and refuse to listen to pretty much any tips I try to give them. Given the fact that they beat me, I don't make too much fuss about it, but I think if these two went out to a field and really hammered the drills from this board they could be fantastic. As it stands they only have one teeshot in their bag: Big ol' S-curve.

An odd sidenote, because they use such high speed drivers most of the time, they typically throw approches with Starfire-speed discs. I don't know that i've ever seen either of them throw a mid - much less a putter - on approaches. I think this is related to the form deficiency in their drives, that they have trouble finessing lower-speed discs.
yesterday i was playing with a guy and I was working on lines with my eagles. He was throwing a Nuke and a boss and out driving me on most hole by maybe 20' feet. on the way up the 7th fairway he told me "i would never learn to throw right unless i started throwing a fast driver like a nuke". On th 8th tee I pulled out my z avenger and out drove him by 50'. He barely talked for the rest of the round.

The Nuke is a great disc, probably the longest disc currently out there. Don't judge the Nuke and other wide rimmed high speed discs by beginners or bad throwers using it as a crutch. This seems to be coming from people who learned on slower drivers or fairway drivers, and swear by them to this day. That's fine, but don't kid yourselves, there are much newer/better discs available.

The only knock I have against the Nuke is the excessive depth of the rim. It makes it feel a little cumbersome. I much prefer the wide, but shallow depth rim of the Halo. It makes for great releases...and it's just about as long as the Nuke.

FHthrower said:
The Nuke is a great disc, probably the longest disc currently out there. Don't judge the Nuke and other wide rimmed high speed discs by beginners or bad throwers using it as a crutch. This seems to be coming from people who learned on slower drivers or fairway drivers, and swear by them to this day. That's fine, but don't kid yourselves, there are much newer/better discs available

I've thrown plenty of wide rimmed drivers to be able to tell that they offer nothing new/better for me. If I wanted to throw for all out distance, sure I could squeak a Boss or Destroyer out 10' or 20' further than my Wraiths. The difference is, if I want my Wraith to fade hard on a throw, I can make it do that. If I want my Wraith to finish straight on a throw, I can do that. Without having to sacrifice distance on it. I'll take that kind of controlled distance any day over the extra 10' or 20' other wide rimmed drivers offer me.

For the record, I do carry one wide-rimmed driver with me. A 175g Eco Star Xcalibur. The only time I have any use for it is when need to throw for distance and it is windy enough for me have to worry about turning my Wraith over too much. I've thrown Xcals, Destroyers, Bosses, Grooves, and Katanas. None have been close to offering me the combination of distance and control that I've had with my Wraith.

Although I agree that they "suck" (I do love my katana tho'...), I wonder if this argument happened back when the first beveled edge drivers hit the market. New tech eventually determines good technique in some respects. was there ever an overstable lid?

kern9787 said:
FHthrower said:
The Nuke is a great disc, probably the longest disc currently out there. Don't judge the Nuke and other wide rimmed high speed discs by beginners or bad throwers using it as a crutch. This seems to be coming from people who learned on slower drivers or fairway drivers, and swear by them to this day. That's fine, but don't kid yourselves, there are much newer/better discs available

I've thrown plenty of wide rimmed drivers to be able to tell that they offer nothing new/better for me. If I wanted to throw for all out distance, sure I could squeak a Boss or Destroyer out 10' or 20' further than my Wraiths. The difference is, if I want my Wraith to fade hard on a throw, I can make it do that. If I want my Wraith to finish straight on a throw, I can do that. Without having to sacrifice distance on it. I'll take that kind of controlled distance any day over the extra 10' or 20' other wide rimmed drivers offer me.

For the record, I do carry one wide-rimmed driver with me. A 175g Eco Star Xcalibur. The only time I have any use for it is when need to throw for distance and it is windy enough for me have to worry about turning my Wraith over too much. I've thrown Xcals, Destroyers, Bosses, Grooves, and Katanas. None have been close to offering me the combination of distance and control that I've had with my Wraith.

I like my Wraith too...alot! A close second to my Pro Destroyer. There are only a few long and wide open holes I'll throw the Nuke/Boss/Katana on. But they're fun to watch when they max out distance.

I both agree and disagree with the sentiment of the original post in this thread. Warp speed discs are definately not for everyone. In fact they are not for most. But like others have said, don't blame the discs. They are great discs. They just are not truly meant to be used by every Tom, Dick, and Harry. Yes, many noobs will have to have a bag full of them. But you know what? Who cares? Not everyone aspires to be a PDGA pro. Some people just enjoy playing, and for them the warp discs make the game enjoyable. Whatever happened to the old saying that "Whoever has the most fun, wins"? And if it truly causes you soooo much pain to see a beginner using a warp speed disc, then you are the one who needs help. If they are having a good time, that's all that really matters.

Then you have the case of people like me. Now on the one hand, I have no real aspirations of going pro. But I do want my game to improve and I at least want to be able to challenge for am tourney wins. When I started out, I didn't know sh*t about discs. The first disc I bought was a Pro Wraith. I couldn't throw that thing for sh*t. I also got a DX Cobra with it and almost threw it as far, which wasn't very far. In the search for something I could actually throw, I got a Star TL. That was slightly better, but I still couldn't throw it well. I was trying to get discs that were supposed to go straight. Then, I tried a Dragon. More because the disc looked cool than anything. Being lighter and less stable, I saw I could get more out of it and control it better. Then I tried a Valkyrie. It was good for me, but not consistent. But it got me thinking about trying more understable discs. I then went to the Archangel and found something that really worked for me. Then as I tried to go faster from there, I went to the Roadrunner and Sidewinder. I tried bumping up to the Monarch, but that disc just wasn't consistent for me. I had tried a Groove and it was worthless for me, so at least I just attributed it to being too fast for me. (More a sucky disc, but luckily it was a good thing to keep me away for a while). I stayed in the speed 9-10 range for a while until the R-pro boss came out. I got an ultralight R-pro Boss. It gave me extra D, so I fell in love. But it was highly inconsistent. So I only used it sparingly. When the Nuke came out, I really loved it. It gave me my first throws over 300. To me that was amazing. But again it was inconsistent. Luckily at that point I was on here enough to get bombarded with all the PD love. The PD's showed me I could get the same D but have more control. And now with the River, I'm really loving getting up in the 300's with discs in the speed 7-9 range. And I almost never throw a faster disc in a "real" round. I also now use midranges for more shots than I used to.

The point of that long mess is that for people who maybe won't ever go pro, but still want to improve their games, the warp speed discs are fine because they will simply be a phase that is gone through. They will eventually learn better and will then find the discs that are really right for them.

So for those that don't care about being great DG'ers, they don't care so whay should you? For those "tweeners" like me, you shouldn't lament because they will eventually see the error of their ways, and seek out what's best, and go back to slower discs. So there's really no need to get one's panties in a bunch over the glut of warp speed driver use by the inexperienced. Your life will go on just fine, and so will their's. It's all good in the grand scheme.

ForeverBlue232 said:
I both agree and disagree with the sentiment of the original post in this thread. Warp speed discs are definately not for everyone. In fact they are not for most. But like others have said, don't blame the discs. They are great discs. They just are not truly meant to be used by every Tom, Dick, and Harry. Yes, many noobs will have to have a bag full of them. But you know what? Who cares? Not everyone aspires to be a PDGA pro. Some people just enjoy playing, and for them the warp discs make the game enjoyable. Whatever happened to the old saying that "Whoever has the most fun, wins"? And if it truly causes you soooo much pain to see a beginner using a warp speed disc, then you are the one who needs help. If they are having a good time, that's all that really matters.

Then you have the case of people like me. Now on the one hand, I have no real aspirations of going pro. But I do want my game to improve and I at least want to be able to challenge for am tourney wins. When I started out, I didn't know sh*t about discs. The first disc I bought was a Pro Wraith. I couldn't throw that thing for sh*t. I also got a DX Cobra with it and almost threw it as far, which wasn't very far. In the search for something I could actually throw, I got a Star TL. That was slightly better, but I still couldn't throw it well. I was trying to get discs that were supposed to go straight. Then, I tried a Dragon. More because the disc looked cool than anything. Being lighter and less stable, I saw I could get more out of it and control it better. Then I tried a Valkyrie. It was good for me, but not consistent. But it got me thinking about trying more understable discs. I then went to the Archangel and found something that really worked for me. Then as I tried to go faster from there, I went to the Roadrunner and Sidewinder. I tried bumping up to the Monarch, but that disc just wasn't consistent for me. I had tried a Groove and it was worthless for me, so at least I just attributed it to being too fast for me. (More a sucky disc, but luckily it was a good thing to keep me away for a while). I stayed in the speed 9-10 range for a while until the R-pro boss came out. I got an ultralight R-pro Boss. It gave me extra D, so I fell in love. But it was highly inconsistent. So I only used it sparingly. When the Nuke came out, I really loved it. It gave me my first throws over 300. To me that was amazing. But again it was inconsistent. Luckily at that point I was on here enough to get bombarded with all the PD love. The PD's showed me I could get the same D but have more control. And now with the River, I'm really loving getting up in the 300's with discs in the speed 7-9 range. And I almost never throw a faster disc in a "real" round. I also now use midranges for more shots than I used to.

The point of that long mess is that for people who maybe won't ever go pro, but still want to improve their games, the warp speed discs are fine because they will simply be a phase that is gone through. They will eventually learn better and will then find the discs that are really right for them.

So for those that don't care about being great DG'ers, they don't care so whay should you? For those "tweeners" like me, you shouldn't lament because they will eventually see the error of their ways, and seek out what's best, and go back to slower discs. So there's really no need to get one's panties in a bunch over the glut of warp speed driver use by the inexperienced. Your life will go on just fine, and so will their's. It's all good in the grand scheme.

Well said. I too moved towards understable discs as a beginner, and I still like them.

there is nothing wrong with the wide rim drivers if you have the arm. I would throw them if I had the arm but when i throw a Katana and it flies like a pred. I don't have the arm and would rather throw a disc that I can make do what it is designed to do. I can throw my z avenger on a slow hyzer 350' and that works great.

I definitely don't throw 500ft., but widerimmed drivers definitely increase my distance. My form is clean enough to throw ions 300ft. on fairly low lines without flipping. I may not generate insane armspeed, because I'm really more of a snap dominant thrower, but the new stable Z Nukes are the farthest flying discs for me, without a doubt. If someone is throwing a boss and it looks like they are bitch slapping the air, that isn't the fault of the Boss. They would look like that throwing a teebird, or a putter, for that matter.

FHthrower said:
The Nuke is a great disc, probably the longest disc currently out there. Don't judge the Nuke and other wide rimmed high speed discs by beginners or bad throwers using it as a crutch. This seems to be coming from people who learned on slower drivers or fairway drivers, and swear by them to this day. That's fine, but don't kid yourselves, there are much newer/better discs available.

The only knock I have against the Nuke is the excessive depth of the rim. It makes it feel a little cumbersome. I much prefer the wide, but shallow depth rim of the Halo. It makes for great releases...and it's just about as long as the Nuke.

I'm not sure someone who doesn't throw 500' can judge what the "longest disc currently out there" is.

Frank Delicious said:
FHthrower said:

I'm not sure someone who doesn't throw 500' can judge what the "longest disc currently out there" is.

Did you miss the word "probably'? Why don't you tell us what disc you think is longer than the Nuke, Frank? Come on, go ahead...it won't hurt a bit. Of course, someone who throws low speed 150's is in no position to answer the question, but really, go ahead and try.

How would you define the phrase "longest disc currently out there", I think I'll choose to define it as the disc that holds the world distance record so I'll say Valk.

Other discs longer than the nuke: any disc that a person throws farther.

My friend can only throw a nuke about 320' but can throw a wraith 350', so the wraith is longer.

Maybe you meant to say "currently the fastest disc out there".

Discs I can throw farther than a nuke:

SOLF, PD, Vak, Beast, Orc, Wraith, Destroyer, Surge, Surge SS, Avenger SS, Rogue, Illusion

So for me all those discs disqualify the nuke as the longest disc out there.

Maybe you meant to say "currently the disc I can OAT the most and still have it fly ok out there".

Frank Delicious said:

SOLF, PD, Vak, Beast, Orc, Wraith, Destroyer, Surge, Surge SS, Avenger SS, Rogue, Illusion

Maybe you meant to say "currently the disc I can OAT the most and still have it fly ok out there".

LOL, nice try(s). Now YOU are qualifying the longest disc out there based on your throws. How lame. Why don't you go to the 'Z Nuke' thread on this very board and disagree with all the people who say the Nuke is the farthest discs they've thrown. Or are you only interested in disagreeing with me?

You're not very bright, are you Frank?

fckn squid...

Please define "currently longest disc out there". What makes the nuke longer? speed? glide? newness?

p.s. please step up the level of your posting b/c I have gotten a decent amount of complaints about you and really don't like banning/warning people for trolling.

Frank Delicious said:

If you can't throw the Nuke further than the SOLF, PD, Beast, Orc, Avenger SS, and Illusion, you must have serious power/form issues.

Perhaps you'd like to explain why the Nuke is shorter than those discs...or better yet, why YOU can't throw the Nuke as far as those discs. I think the board would be interested in this explanation.

And you mention "trolling". A nice civil thread with a good back and forth and you come in late in the dicussion and pull this sh*t? Trolling indeed.

I know EXACTLY where you're coming from, Frank? And it's a pretty crummy place.

I can't throw the nuke farther than those b/c I don't throw 450'.

So now maybe you can explain to me how you define "currently longest disc out there" to prove you really aren't a dumb troll.

I think the longest disc should be defined as the disc that is longest for someone with like 400'-450' of backhand teebird-esque driver distance.

FHThrower,
I like your posts in general but Frank is definitely not the one trolling :D

Latest posts