• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Battle of Stoney Hill (a team play event) - Oct. 29-30, 2016

DavidSauls

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
And now for something completely different.....

This year's Battle of Stoney Hill will once again be a 4-man team play tournament. Each team has a ratings cap of 3760---that's an average of 940 per player---so might consist of four players in the low- to mid-900s, or two stars and two duffers, or any other combination.

Formats are best disc doubles, singles and doubles match play, and 4-man best/alternate shot (hard to explain but take my word for it, it's fun), using all 3 overlapping layout on the Stoney Hill course.

A PDGA-sanctioned XC-tier event, raising at least $1,000 for The Children's Heart Foundation.

As always, you can camp on the course and make it a full weekend of disc golf.

More information, and the flyer, at www.saulsinsurance.com/stoneyhill.battle.htm.

Or if you're on Facebook, check out our event page there.

I'm not a tournament player,but this sounds like a blast...

There's always a couple of teams who say, Screw the players cap, screw being competitive, we're coming for the festivities. Matches in match play rounds are set by player rating, so they get a chance to notch a few individual wins, even if the team doesn't have a chance.

We had 6 teams in 2013, 12 in 2014, then a full 18 in 2015. Hoping to do the same this year.

Some clarifications on the ratings cap, and unrated players:

Unrated players are assigned a 940 rating for the sake of the cap. This can be modified with evidence---if you've played in PDGA tournaments but never been a member, we can look at those round ratings. If your membership is inactive, we can obtain your rating from the PDGA.

The original flyer indicated that only 1 unrated player would be allowed per team, but this has been corrected. There is no limit on unrated players.

The matchups in Rounds 2 and 3 are based on player ratings, and in the interest of fairness, we may assign a different rating for unrated players, for this purpose.

If you have any questions, please ask!

Wow, sounds like fun.

Personally, I think this format is a blast---and not because we run it. We copied and tweaked the format from the National Team Championship, where my brother and I played when we were contemplating changing from a standard stroke-play event to some sort of team play.

I also love match play, and think there's far too little of it available out there.

Of course, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Higher-rated pros don't have a near-guaranteed paycheck, for example. And you do have to go through the effort of putting together, or joining, a team.

I'd be a handicap for my team. I'm unrated and nowhere near good enough to be 940. But I always win because I get to throw the most discs and have the most fun. Lol

Yeah, but perhaps not as much as you think.

If you'd played any ratable rounds, you could petition for a lower rating (for this event)

In the doubles rounds, you can be carried by a better partner, and if you get off a handful of great shots, you can make the difference.

In the singles match play, matches are set by rating, so you'd draw someone else without a rating. Perhaps a worse player!

And some teams just come for the fun---they're way below the ratings cap, and don't care. You can't be handicap to a team like that (unless you're too serious).

One problem with having co-TDs is that we don't always consult before acting. So I found this surprise in my Facebook news feed today:

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!! THE WORLDS COOLEST CTP CONTEST COMING TO STONEY HILL!!!! I just got off the phone with my local hot air balloon enthusiast and we are working on having a hot air balloon tethered out in the pasture Saturday after the rounds. (weather permitting). 3 throws from outer space...Who's in??

Apparently, once you set out making an event a little different than the standard tournament fare, it's tough to find a stopping place.

What a weekend! Had an absolute blast playing this event. All the different formats were fun to play and the points system is very fair for all teams. Well run, great people, and a great course. 4 rds at Stoney will wear you out though! Whew...

If you're reading this you need to make it next year!

....And The Children's Heart Foundation has at least $1,100 more to help fund research!

Latest posts