• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Blockhouse is Closed

i heard from a pretty reliable source at yesterday's Faux Leap at senceca that blockhouse would be back as a members only course. i hope the news is true.

Even if this is the case.....I wonder if they would make a one time fee for a lifetime membership....say $350 for your lifetime membership....maybe a yearly pass for $25...the possibilities are endless.

I just dont understand why people just lack the basic respect that we were all taught (should've been taught by our parents) to act accordingly when you're on someone else's property....Mike and the entire crew are doing us a favor for opening the Blockhouse up and allowing us to use his land and facility for our enjoyment. Be gracious! Be thankful that someone has put in the hard work so that you can come and enjoy the atmosphere and the amazing courses. Don't be "that guy" or "group of guys" that are basically ruining it for those who respect the effort and genuine selfless acts of others.

/rant

Looking forward to seeing a new and improved blockhouse when they reopen.

A high fee to get in like Selah doesn't neccessarily eliminate the unsavory types...they are disc golfers after all. When we played Selah my wife threw in her driver on one of the holes but the disc was clearly visible from the shore (maybe 20 feet). The rules specifically say not to enter the water. We didn't have our golden retriever in our bag (left it in the car) so we decided to get the disc during the next rd of the day. By the time we got back to that hole the ONLY other group playing that day had already taken her disc by entering the water which is against course rules. Even when we confronted them it took lots of negotiating (threats) for them to give the disc back. Even people who are willing to pay a larger fee to play are capable of douchebaggery. I do imagine that a higher fee would cut down bad behavior but nothing will eliminate it.

The facebook post certainly speak with an awful lot of ambiguity. I would love for the owner to come out and specify the type of things that lead to this unfortunate decision. I would love to get the chance to play this course sometime. Rant as we may, we all know that the violators won't get it. Impossible to teach common sense, courtesy or decency to those who have none. Good luck to the owners of Blockhouse and all my best wishes for any furture version of the course.

This. Even if you spell it out explicitly, they'll still ignore it.

For sure tbird. Too many times standing there trying to reason with a knucklehead, whose response is eff off or looking to fight. "Just asking that you do not draw reproductive organs on the picnic table."

For sure tbird. Too many times standing there trying to reason with a knucklehead, whose response is eff off or looking to fight. "Just asking that you do not draw reproductive organs on the picnic table."

I've been looking for a piece of land to build a course on, and I always said that I would have a sign at the beginning of the course spelling out what will have the course be pulled (the offenses in ne1's post are some of my biggest pet peeves and would top the list). I've come to the conclusion that the course would be pulled faster than it would take to make the sign.

I stopped trying to reason with the graffiti artists...I pulled all the picnic tables and benches off the course. Graffiti is down, camp stool sales are up. :)

discgolfne1 basically has it covered. he is there a lot.

For the most part, I am only there on Friday nights, but I don't miss much.

I'm not fooled by the people that have a cigarette constantly burning, but are never seen disposing the butt...hmmmm.

I watched a certain Friday night glow REGULAR drop his glow trash right on the stage next to the TD table...right after everyone was told to pick their trash. He is a GREAT golfer, but obviously very self centered and lazy.

I called a guy out for throwing his empty can behind the 14 tee area during glow golf. He put it in his bag...and then threw it right back into the woods after I turned my head...I had to call him out again...really??? Multiply these of instances by 1000, and you can see Mike's frustration.

The previous statements that you can't do anything about these types of people is true ...they don't get it, and don't care...they're special!!!! They need to be called out, and banned. Mike's property is not a hotel for everyone to use at will to save money and time when other local events are happening. I know that statement will not be popular to a lot of folk, but sorry it is the truth. The large gatherings are where (IMO) most things get out of control. The mob mentality at its worst.

Last edited:
Biscoe -

I am extending my offer to help with course maintenance to you also. For the last three years, I have been down for the Mid-Atlantic Meet. It is an event I look forward to every year.

I know it takes a lot of work to get the course playable. Just let me know when and I will drive down.

i heard from a pretty reliable source at yesterday's Faux Leap at senceca that blockhouse would be back as a members only course. i hope the news is true.

^^^^^
I also heard this yesterday from someone that knows Mike and the gang at the Blockhouse pretty well

I am not on Facebook, but I just saw the pictures posted of the trashed campsite via jrawk's link. I am wondering about the exact date that happened because those jerks may (or may not) have been the same group of guys that stumbled their way into playing Glow Golf on a certain Friday night around that time. If that is the case...we have their names written in the glow book. I went to a Paw Paw function the very next morning (Blockhouse crew already at Paw Paw) and there was a group of fairly drunk and arrogant golfers that joined Friday glow golf 10 minutes after registration had closed. They held everything up immensely, and were confrontational to me when I tried to help them speed up. They didn't seem to care either. This shouldn't be a hard case to solve it it happened when the Blockhouse crew was away... a rare occurrence in itself.

Latest posts