• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

the case for or against ramps to make roller aces possible

just pick a root on a nearby tree and hit it properly and it will jump in. I've called it and done it. No luck involved if you know what you are doing.

Chris Hysell, the Babe Ruth of disc golf!:thmbup:

i'm a clown. I sometimes throw shots for fun and the reaction I might get. The game is supposed to be fun.

I couldn't agree more. But how many other people have made a call shot roller ace? prob 0.

No. Rollers should NOT be any part of the Game. I've posted before and will here again, "Want to roll something, go Bowling"

No. Rollers should NOT be any part of the Game. I've posted before and will here again, "Want to roll something, go Bowling"

Rollers are a part of the game, and have been since day 1. Its a good throw to have in your arsenal, and can get you out of some jams.

First they came for the jump putters, and I didn't speak out because I didn't jump putt.
Then they came for the rollers...

If you need a ramp to get an ace on a roller, it's not an ace. Let's say a hole has a straight approach that beaks off sharply to a well tucked basket , such that it's tough to throw a shot that straight and turn so hard at the end. How about if I needed to use the ramp horizontally to guide my straight shot towards the basket. Ace, right?

gimmick - fun for certain events, but not as a serious part of the game.

Or, bury the baskets flush with the ground (à la Flyboy #22) to give rollers a legit chance.

Meh, maybe for a short hole or something where there is a long one too. My fave hole of all places is a basket thats up in a tree. Its the coolest thing ever and me and my friends have a blast chucking our discs at it over and over. I think worrying about getting Aces is kinda silly. So much fun just chucking discs.

They just did this to Hole 16 at HB in the last 2 weeks. I noticed it when out this weekend - it is in front of the short position. The berm is about 2 feet high and 15 feet across and has a sharp lip. After completing the hole I spent a few minutes throwing rollers trying to get one in from about 20 feet. The kids wanted to do that all day.

Disc golf courses are not natural. We modify nature to make a course. We cut down trees, plant baskets and make teepads. Discs are not natural ( we don't pick our discs out of a plastic tree). Our clothes, shoes and accoutrements are not natural.

There is nothing sacrosanct about a putting green or basket location or the height of a basket. If the terrain makes a skip ace or a roller ace easier (or harder for that matter) it is just a variation. Some variations are better than others, of course, depending how cleverly they are designed.

The mere fact that some challenge to the course is artificial doesn't make it illegitimate. A yellow rope can create artificial OB. A pond can be dug, a hill can be built up or a longer pole can be added to the basket. None of these modifications are inherently good or bad. They are good or bad depending on how well they are created. As a general rule a good design increases the skill factor needed for the hole. A bad design increases the luck factor.

It would be a rare hole where a roller ramp would be the favored shot. If a basket is sitting on a flat, open location why would anyone try the roller? An air shot is safer and easier for either an ace run or a attempted park job.

Rollers are the hardest shot in disc golf. This is why they are so rare and when done well so spectacular. Most of us choose a roller line only when nothing else is reasonably available. The true masters of rollers (like a Joe Mela) spend decades perfecting the shot.

In the proper location a ramp could be entertaining as heck.

For an Ace Race a few years back I created a roller ramp on a hole surrounded by low hanging tree branches. No one aced. The ramp was a last minute addition done with handy materials. If we spent some time testing and creating different ramp designs maybe we could have come up with an effective design.

Putting a ramp in front of a basket would make it more likely that regular throws that are short would skip off and go in. I vote nay.

MVP should work on making tire-like replaceable outer rims. If you want to throw a roller, place a stump jumper rim on the disc and let the magic happen.

just pick a root on a nearby tree and hit it properly and it will jump in. I've called it and done it. No luck involved if you know what you are doing.

+1

. . .

Rollers are the hardest shot in disc golf. This is why they are so rare and when done well so spectacular. Most of us choose a roller line only when nothing else is reasonably available. The true masters of rollers (like a Joe Mela) spend decades perfecting the shot.

. . .

At Melas home course you can roller into the basket (not all will be your first shot) on:

3.C - approach is uphill and there is a slight berm near the pin
6.C - after a dogleg left there's a large mulch pile in front of the basket
11.B - basket in a small trench, you can roll right off of it
12.C - basket is on a small [natural] anthill that can be rolled up
16.C - in a grove of small trees, roots are your "launchers"
19.A - bunker made of logs dead center with the basket behind it
23.A - short and steep uphill to level ground, basket is where the ground is level...this is the only one you would blow by if you miss and have a tough come back putt on

It was actually the 2012 Master's Cup that he aced ^^^^ it's all a blur lol

Significantly Barsbylike events in the Barsby Timeline (lulz):

2010: Roller Ace at Masters Cup
2011: Iron Leaf
2011: Wearing that cape/robe thing as they announced him at the memorial's first tee (and having his caddy remove it)...then birdieing the hole
2012: Dropping discraft

Get ready for more. One of my first tourneys was in Raleigh 20-25 years ago and Kentwood was one of the courses used.

Hole 2 tee was in a longer than usual location and as I was putting out on hole 1 I watched a guy, I believe Johnny Sias, throw the first roller I had ever seen. It rolled true and hit the exposed roots and deflected up for the first ace I have ever seen.

Forget trying it on hole 18, go to number 2

Wow. I'm going to assume that 20 years ago that log wasn't in the middle of the fairway (heck I'm not even sure if it still is today) but when I was there it would have made that shot a bit more difficult. Epic story though, roller ace from an awesome golfer.

Anything that makes our game that is already too easy even easier = bad idea.

Latest posts