• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The elbow is evil...

mtgolfer

Whether a push putt or spin putt, my biggest error is letting the elbow get just a little too far ahead of everything else, creating a big, unreliable hinge.

Most days, I can tame it. But when I have rounds where the putting is off, I can guarantee it's the problem — elbow popping out just a bit. Enough for a miss.

Anyone else? Tips on locking it down?

Practice.

I don't think about my elbow when putting. Trace that memory path enough and I don't think you will either. Finding a helpful pre-putt routine, using it religiously, envision the shot and release. Pick your spot on the basket and put the disc on that spot. Elbow?.........what elbow?

^Agreed. Practice until it's automatic.

Hm i recently got other results actully thinking of the elbow instead of he disc. Thought i discovered a new aha moment but could be wrong.

Instead of actively moving disc in and out from body i move the elbow in and out and when disc is on the way to the basket i focus on the hand/fingers popping it into the basket. Feels more like a sling shot getting more effortless longer putts and barely missing right or left. Both spinn and spush putts

My instructor taught me that as my arm goes forward to make the putt, focus on the elbow opening up (unfolding). So instead of the focusing on the wrist/hand going forward and pulling the elbow open....focus on the elbow opening up and causing the wrist/hand to go forward. But he said that I should only be focusing on that during my putting practice. And if I was having issues during a round, I should focus on that during my pre-putt routine, but that the actual putt should be automatic.

Latest posts