• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are Spin Putts being misrepresented?

Well, Paul McB doesn't have the biggest hands and still is one of the best spin putters ever. I'm just guessing that he has to give the disc more speed to get the spin than guys like Eagle, Calvin or Simon.

I wasn't trying to dissuade you (or anyone) from spin putting, but more responding to the idea that some people seem to able to spin putt without as much velocity on the disc, "floating" it into the chains.

Spin and speed are two separate animals. It seems to me that speed relates to arm speed, where spin relates to snap - wrist and fore arm.

Well, Paul McB doesn't have the biggest hands and still is one of the best spin putters ever. I'm just guessing that he has to give the disc more speed to get the spin than guys like Eagle, Calvin or Simon.

I wasn't trying to dissuade you (or anyone) from spin putting, but more responding to the idea that some people seem to able to spin putt without as much velocity on the disc, "floating" it into the chains.

Paul is more splush I think. He has a good amount of up and down arm movement. When I think of spin I think of Orum and Lizotte or PP for the females.

Spin and speed are two separate animals. It seems to me that speed relates to arm speed, where spin relates to snap - wrist and fore arm.

Sure they aren't the same, but they are related, I would think

The more you need to use the motion of the forearm to help generate your spin, the more speed you are going to give the disc.

Paul can palm a roc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I've seen anyone in real life palm a disc like Paul, and I've played with some 6'3+ guys.

I don't think I've seen anyone in real life palm a disc like Paul, and I've played with some 6'3+ guys.

TIL.

I guess I was making an assumption based on what looks like his finger length relative to palm size. Or, I'm just completely off base.

Not off base. I think it's surprising based on his height. There's a gif that SW22 posts sometimes of PMB palming said roc. I'm 6'0 and no way I'm palming a wide diameter mid.

TIL.

I guess I was making an assumption based on what looks like his finger length relative to palm size. Or, I'm just completely off base.

If someone tells me I'll never be able to spin putt well because of my short ogre fingers, I'm ok with that.

You seem to be hung up on fingers for heaven knows what reason. Just work with what you have. This reminds me of the guys who beat themselves up for being 5'9" when Calvin is 6'5".

I already made a decent suggestion of hitting backhands using tennis or racquetball racquet to get a feel for it, but you gave me a one word response - fingers. Meaning you aren't open to any ideas that don't involve you magically getting longer fingers. Good luck to you and I hope you find the putting style that suits you.

You seem to be hung up on fingers for heaven knows what reason. Just work with what you have. This reminds me of the guys who beat themselves up for being 5'9" when Calvin is 6'5".

I already made a decent suggestion of hitting backhands using tennis or racquetball racquet to get a feel for it, but you gave me a one word response - fingers. Meaning you aren't open to any ideas that don't involve you magically getting longer fingers. Good luck to you and I hope you find the putting style that suits you.

Hey, I'm 5'9"! :D

Back on point, I cannot agree or disagree with the reason fingers are worth getting hung up on because I don't know. 'Finger pop' isn't talked about much in putting, except maybe by Barsby. I really appreciated Gannon's video because I feel that thumb and finger rotation exactly as he says. But… I'm not one to place my pinky on the plate or rim. When I do that, everything feels unnatural. What does feel natural is flicking my index and middle finger toward the target, which rotates the disc around the thumb on top. Enough rambling. :D

Does Emerson Keith spin putt? I think that's a spin putt.

If someone tells me he can palm a Roc, well ... I'll really question my sanity.

In any case, I was only saying that my specific biomechanical attributes are going to have an effect on the precise attributes of my spin putt, not that you have to have some specific attributes in order to be able to spin putt. This isn't Disney Land. Everyone is tall enough to get on the ride.

A tennis backhand is similar to a spin putt? This thread is whack!

lol. I can see why you might say that but it isn't as whack as you may think.

I'm a believer in cross training, most sports have some skill or movement that you can transfer to other sports.

Granted it isn't an exact match between tennis backhand and spin putt, especially when it comes to actually releasing the disc as has been mentioned previously. Although it would be hilarious to see someone trying to release the racquet with every swing.

For me it:

- gives good practice and feel for the elbow and wrist motion and timing
- gives good practice and feel for the weight transfer from back to front
- gives immediate feedback on the direction the ball / disc is going. If it goes straight you
know you're on the right track. If if goes off to the side you know you aren't.

Your mileage may vary of course, but hey I just wanted to throw this out there. If it helps someone great, if not, great. I'm definitely not an expert on form or training, but it works for me.

lol. I can see why you might say that but it isn't as whack as you may think.

I'm a believer in cross training, most sports have some skill or movement that you can transfer to other sports.

Granted it isn't an exact match between tennis backhand and spin putt, especially when it comes to actually releasing the disc as has been mentioned previously. Although it would be hilarious to see someone trying to release the racquet with every swing.

For me it:

- gives good practice and feel for the elbow and wrist motion and timing
- gives good practice and feel for the weight transfer from back to front
- gives immediate feedback on the direction the ball / disc is going. If it goes straight you
know you're on the right track. If if goes off to the side you know you aren't.

Your mileage may vary of course, but hey I just wanted to throw this out there. If it helps someone great, if not, great. I'm definitely not an expert on form or training, but it works for me.

Oh, I've been extolling the benefits of looking to tennis for disc golf form for 12 years. I played at the 4.5 - 5.0 level during my teenage years. Basically, since I moved from playing tennis and started disc golf.

Especially for forehand the motion is nearly identical minus the direction of the swing and wrist action. Backhand really sets the body up in tennis for a disc golf backhand. It also teaches proper motion on the hip.

It's just, a tennis backhand doesn't use any wrist either, really doesn't use any elbow either. So that's why I am finding it strange to say a tennis backhand is like a spin putt, because it isn't.

A spin putt is basically how Emac, Simon, KJ Nybo putt. From the sternum/belly and straight out with a wrist snap at the release point. Here the elbow moves to open up the arm leading to the snap.

Maybe a classical backhand, but that still doesn't use a lot of elbow/wrist. Plus it's focused to the side of the body.

Oh, I've been extolling the benefits of looking to tennis for disc golf form for 12 years. I played at the 4.5 - 5.0 level during my teenage years. Basically, since I moved from playing tennis and started disc golf.

Especially for forehand the motion is nearly identical minus the direction of the swing and wrist action. Backhand really sets the body up in tennis for a disc golf backhand. It also teaches proper motion on the hip.

It's just, a tennis backhand doesn't use any wrist either, really doesn't use any elbow either. So that's why I am finding it strange to say a tennis backhand is like a spin putt, because it isn't.

A spin putt is basically how Emac, Simon, KJ Nybo putt. From the sternum/belly and straight out with a wrist snap at the release point. Here the elbow moves to open up the arm leading to the snap.

Maybe a classical backhand, but that still doesn't use a lot of elbow/wrist. Plus it's focused to the side of the body.

All true! I may have been thinking more racquetball also.

I can see how a table tennis backhand, hitting the ball right at the solar plexus with topspin angle, is very similar to the spin putt motion.

The tip that really made the spin put click for me was that you should release the disc with your elbow still bent. Watch Eagle here: https://youtu.be/lQKfmR2hW_U?t=45

Maybe not all the spin putters do so, but it really has worked for me.