• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Flame Flannelkings Throw thread.

flannelking

Bogey Member
I'm new at this sport (about 2 months) but I honestly don't think flaws can be found in my throw. If there is one or two flaws in the throw, I'm guessing they won't be detected by viewing a video of it. Anyone is welcome to try and honest finds will be appreciated. Ive followed all the tips that seem best but I have no power on my throws. I've taken a break recently. These videos are from a month or so ago. The only differences (corrections) I made after the videos are: i corrected the x step and it's 4 steps, pointing my heal slightly away from the target with toes down first, leading with moving the hips and keeping a forward feet motion throughout the downward part of the throw. So if any of that shows up in the videos, it was fixed soon after. Sometimes I do notice myself throwing harder during the start of the throw instead of the end but that's an easy fix and my lack of power exists in throws that I don't make that error during.

RHFH:

http://youtu.be/GgO6Am3UynQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgO6Am3UynQ

RHBH:

http://youtu.be/QXCE5Z-5HNM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXCE5Z-5HNM

RHBH without steps. I was experimenting with trying to mimic a pro's throw, his name might have been Will.

http://youtu.be/XbdyDy8lZzk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbdyDy8lZzk

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

Last edited:
The simple fact that you dont get any power into your throws (your own words) should tell you that no, your throw is not perfect.

I could tell you about strong arming and toe turning and all that, but since you are so convinced that you are perfect, I'll let you figure it out for yourself.

Or maybe try the forum search and look at any of the 100'000 other form threads, you can probably learn something from each one of them.

Far from perfect.

One easy thing could be more athletic feet. You're too flat footed and you are pivoting through the hit, which in my opinion means your plant is weak.

Also, your backswing with steps is way more compact than when you stand still. Based on your perfect for it is likely on purpose, however I thought I'd point it out anyway.

Perhaps most importantly...change your attitude, seriously, there is not one single farcking activity/job/sport or otherwise that someone can attain perfection in two months. Come back down to earth flannelman.

First off, i take about every opportunity to not be serious. But if its more entertaining for anyone to think I'm not joking about things, that's fine too.

Toe turning? So I should wait til after the release to point my lead foot at the target? That's what I tried to do but maybe i didn't succeed?

I try to maintain plant though the hit, keeping it as a point where through coil momentum of my torso/shoukder/elbow/wrist can explode...it is my opinion (although others my have other ideas) that if thatbfron foot is slowly creeping around, that I'm not maximizing my hit.

Yes, good catch. The flat footed thing is something else i changed after that video cuz I saw the tip on a distance driving institutional video . I think it was a disc craft video.

Yes, you're exactly right. I tried pivoting through the hit around the time of that video cuz in my opinion it looked like that Will guy did it and I wanted to try everything. That caused strong arming for me, I think. So I quit doing it. I think my problem is like u say, about weight transfer. It's difficult for me to get and keep a full transfer. I hope the fix is as simple to figure out as having a stance too wide, though for me that isn't simple to fix because I've tried to adjust that already.

First off, i take about every opportunity to not be serious. But if its more entertaining for anyone to think I'm not joking about things, that's fine too.

Ok, sorry, that totally went over my head. I'll try and keep it nicer from now on.

I'll take a stab at what I think going wrong in the RHBH video. (I can't comment on the forehand, I have no experience there.) Keep in mind that I'm not any good at this game yet, but I have been trying to learn for about a year now. Progress has been slow. That said, as I find and fix my own problems it gets easier to see them in other folks swings.

Your backswing has you reaching well behind your body, forcing you to bring the disc around your body as you pull through, rather than pulling straight-through along the target line. This is one of the biggest issues I see. Check out this video from Will Schusterick. I believe he gives you a good run down on the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cUNsWOYSI

Also, you might consider losing the x-step for now. The way you're executing it I don't think it's doing anything for your throw. Consider throwing from a standstill for a while and work on your form. You can always work on the x-step later.

Thanks m. One of the main things I tried to accomplish during the time of that video was reaching straight back instead of behind my body. So I guess I failed during the video at least. After that video some days my bh had some spring. other days I felt none and had verry little D as a result. I think I did correct the x step after that video though.

I'm not a form expert as I prefer to play by feel more, but I'll try to help. On your FH it doesn't seem like you are getting your weight forward. When you take your initial stride your weight is way too far back. Try taking a shorter stride and I would eliminate the FH X step. I don't think its needed. You can try a foot to foot baseball type crow hop or a single (shorter) stride for momentum.

I also agree with the flat footed comments from above. Getting on the balls of your feet will put you into a more powerful athletic position across the board.

Hopefully sidewinder can chime in with some valuable insight.

You are strong arming the disc, and you are getting no benefit at all from your x step. You are missing the basic concept of where your power should be coming from. The arm needs to be a loose whip that is powered by the weight shift and rotation uncorking around your plant foot.

If you want to rebuild you should completely lose the X step, and try the half step/stand still like Will does in his instructional video. Watch all of Sidewinder22's videos. Then watch them again. Then throw in the field. Then watch them again. Post some video after you have done another dozen hours of field work.

Hazed, I've seen those already. I read those too.
Watch it again and read it again. After that, read it again and watch it again. Then watch all sidewinder22s videos. Then read and watch it again. If you are watching and reading them, you aren't utilizing it when practicing. Try and work on one aspect at a time. First thing I would do is fix your reach back. If you've read and watched those, you'd know it should be straight or out wide. If you watch your video you're clearly not doing that, you're rounding. Remember, what you do on one side of your body you will do on the other. Rounding will make you round your entire throw. You can't round your arm around your body and then pull straight through, your body is in the way. Practice reaching AWAY from your body. Watch videos of Nate Doss to see what I mean.

Where would I find these sidewinder22 videos the few of u speak of? I'm not saying I haven't accidentally allowed my arm to curl around my body on my backswing a time or two since those videos were taken but I think the 2 guys who mentioned not getting my weight transfered are right. Anyone know any other possible causes of that besides too wide of a step? Another question, which is supposed to be the first to happen at the start of the throw, the weight shift from back foot to front foot or snapping the hips forward?

Latest posts