• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Insider Show - USDGC 2015

More actual footage of disc golf would be great. They want it to look professional, but a single camera with a lense that makes the background blury is not enough. They had a few good shots of people throwing, but little context for the throw. More like promo than highlights. Who wants to see missed putts? And Nikko slamming his fist into the ground? I'm sure glad they will have full round coverage too.

It was terrible to watch.

JT is not a good host or writer if its his content which i assume is the case being the lame style he tries to put across. He tries to be like the riddler from batman or some ****

Interview was great. Stats are meh (need number of OB strokes taken or "pitch outs" required on a wooded course). I agree, his "host" times were too contrived.

3 different hats at my count I thought it was hallirious last night watching it

This stuff would've been great...mixed in with ACTUAL disc golf. By itself, it's awful. So and so hit 95% of his putts today, but we're not going to show any footage of his round. If this is DGWT's plan on a global scale, I think they need to change the strategy for the US. "Introducing people to disc golf...by not showing disc golf" is not going to get people excited to head to the course here. And, while I've enjoyed some of Jamie's commentary in the past (last year's Japan Open in particular), he needs to stay behind the camera. The eyebrow twitches, head cocks, and awkward speech patterns made it incredibly painful to watch. Then to have him arrogantly crap on Nate Sexton's round ("between him and McBeth, Nate's usually the loser, but he actually had the better round today" is what I heard) only cemented my belief that he should stick to the cameras. Bring Crazy back for pete's sake! He may be irreverent, but at least he respects the players.

All that said, I'm happy to see them trying a different format and testing the waters. The fact that people are trying to improve coverage and grow the sport at the top end is wonderful. I just don't think that cutting out what the people who are actually watching (right now) want to see is a good idea. If you lose us current viewers, who's going to watch a bunch of pointless (without footage to match) statistics to help grow the numbers next year? If this is what's in store for us actual FANS until actual round coverage begins, I won't be adding to the view counts.

Same criticisms apply as before...

A show about disc golf without footage is pretty dumb; missed putts montage to start it off??? Wtf.

Love PP, and a short piece on her attempt to qualify is warranted, but full interview about Worlds etc was way off topic.

Metrix is cool, but even more are needed as mentioned above, OB strokes, maybe some avg distance of drives to compare. (Distance prob hard to get with current level of sport tho. Not like ball golf where every inch of course is mapped and digitized.)

But again, metrix are kind of pointless without seeing the play its related to.

4,000 views is pretty good for less than 24 hours since it was posted...? Hmm

Metrix

I feel like Jamie was more relaxed during EO, he's probably got a lot of pressure from Jussi to make this extraordinarily professional. They'll keep refining the show and it'll get better, I hope. For now I'm just gonna consider these as growing pains.

Metrix is taking a good first stab at this, but the stats should also show us fairways hit and scramble saves in addition to what others said. Basically the same as ball golf, I want to see FW%, GIR, putting, and I like the outside the circle info.

They might also add stats (after day 1) to show how the holes themselves are playing compared to the par listed. If avg. score is 3.4 on a par 3, or 2.6 on a par 4, etc. it would be good to know how the players are stacking up against the course.

Last edited:
Not too bad honestly. The production quality is decent.

The interview was about 10 minutes too long, though. I support women in disc golf, but a 15 minute interview would have probably been too much even for the champ.

It was terrible to watch.

JT is not a good host or writer if its his content which i assume is the case being the lame style he tries to put across. He tries to be like the riddler from batman or some ****

I'm going to somewhat disagree with this. Jamie has some good, and some bad. First, when he is on camera, he is worse, during the analysis part, he seems more natural. During the direct camera time, where he is alone, he becomes stilted. What he is saying is fine, but he sounds like a frosh giving his first class presentation.

During his interviews, he seems pretty natural, but there are too many "you knows, so's," and other spacers. His questions aren't bad, but he's not having a conversation. He sets up for each question, it's like he is waiting for the person to stop talking so he can show he has the next question ready.

A little more comfort in what he is doing, and taking a second after the person finishes speaking will give a better flow. He should also slow down and enunciate.

Last, the guys who seem the most natural in their commentary are the CCDG guys. Sometimes they are a little too chippy, i.e. hey dude! But they're very comfortable. Also, Terry Miller is pretty good, he isn't perfect, but he's comfortable in his role.

^have you seen the EO stuff? Some of those intros were just outright funny. Yes this is an improvement but slightly at best.

I watched a little bit of this last night, and had a couple comments, since that's what we're here for:

-"Sights and Sounds" was just sights. Unless we are considering the background music the sounds. I was expecting some post-chain out groans, or some cheers, or something mixed in.

-"Hole of the Day" would have been nice if we got to see some throws on it, and maybe some commentary about the best approach to tackling it from a strategy perspective.

-Aren't metrics (yes I know they spell it with an X for stylistic purposes) generally a bit more advanced, like combinations of statistics almost? I think they could take it a bit further.

All that said, the production values are nice, as always. But I think being able to chop round coverage into a 30 minute package would be more pleasing. We want to see some disc golf in the disc golf coverage, right? Round highlights, much like a football game breakdown where the commentary runs on top of the footage, would be awesome. (Unless they had it and I didn't get that far.)

I think the production quality is still far from professional. I mean, what's with the underexposed view (the part where Jamie wears a tie), the lighting is off (he looks as if he is ill or something) and also skin tones seem off. And the video judder of PP throwing during her interview... I know Jussi wants this to be professional, "TV-quality", but this is still far from it. To me it seems that the crew is either not experienced enough, skilled enough or just don't give a rat's ass.

The episodes did get better at EO as days went by, I hope they can up the quality this time too.

Seems like they got caught up in all the production 'bells and whistles' and REALLY skimped on having actual solid content. The intro shot being woefully underexposed really sets the table for this thing...

Interview with Paige is nice... if she was playing Open.

Stats and graphics are great... when they are combined with actual footage.

Too much 'talking head' content and not enough disc golf.

You know why Sportscenter works? Because people have actually viewed sports and then Sportscenter gives "detailed" analysis. Detailed analysis, play-by-play, interviews, top 5s mean ABSOLUTELY nothing without context.