• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Insider Show - USDGC 2015

I'd love to see the stats in a smaller overlay on top of footage of the player. Would make the whole segment more dynamic.

I'd love to see the stats in a smaller overlay on top of footage of the player. Would make the whole segment more dynamic.

I've been arguing this point too. It's like they have two great options, golf and stats, but they refuse to put the two together. It's like they're treating them like the Hatfields and McCoys instead of the peanut butter and jelly that they are.

I watched it today and I had to stop about halfway through the interviews. The professionalism is just horrendous. The main commentator sounds like he was reading from a Dr. Seuss book, the interviews were beyond awkward due to the questions asked, the show was clearly tailored towards Innova and Discmania and could have cared less about actual coverage, and the music was way to "PUMP YOU UP". To top it all off they only showed a handful of actual throws from the day, I want round coverage!

We, as sport, really need to look to the PGA coverage and figure out what we are trying to do with disc golf coverage. They have multiple cameras capturing multiple different shots and they are able to 'bounce' from card to card showing good or bad shots. We won't have as many cameras as ball golf does but it can't be that hard to have 2-3 cameras out there showing CONSTANT action. I would be nice for the PDGA to take some membership fees and put it towards hiring a professional camera crew to showcase larger tournaments. Hire Marty, Jomez, Disc Golf Monthly (Jimi and Cubby as commentators) and maybe a couple other guys to work in collaboration and I bet that we could have top notch coverage.

I've been thinking about this a lot, too, and I am sure a lot of the issue is budgetary. But, if it were up to me, here's what I'd do:

1) Divert budget from graphics/production
2) Use two teams of three people: Two cameramen and a story editor/producer

On each of these teams, I'd have one cameraman at the teepad and the other down the fairway trying to catch the approach, much like we've seen in a lot of coverage.

At the same time, the story editor/producer would follow the card, taking notes and time stamps as to where the key shots took place and how the round flowed.

One team would follow the lead card exclusively, while the second team could follow the chase card but be on call to leave that card and go track down any other excitement on the course (for example, if someone on the fourth card is shooting the hot round, you go over there and get coverage instead).

Right after the round, have the story editor and one cameraman do a couple interviews, while the other cameraman heads to post-production and starts pulling the highlights based off of the story editor's notes.

In post, all six members put the footage together and tell a story with the coverage, beginning of the round to the end of the round. Ideally, the two story editors are the "talent" who call the coverage, especially since they were the ones witnessing the action.

I fully acknowledge that I have no idea how much money this would take, or if a six-person team is realistic compared to the size of the team they have now. But if Jussi was able to secure six figures from Innova for the DGWT, I have to think this approach would be feasible. Instead of the current product being assembled, we'd have legitimate round coverage and wrap-ups. And it doesn't have to be long: 10 minutes of this style, I feel, would be much more well-received than the current 20-minute product. It would look much more like a regular sports program, which I think is what we need to prove some legitimacy.

welp, here we go again.. ITS WAY BETTER THIS TIME! :|

Someone else said it best that these feel like a high school media club product, and that's spot on. The audio is awful for Jamie walking around the pro shop, as is the lighting; both are easy fixes, with a good mic(good doesn't mean expensive) and some very simple, inexpensive lighting. Looks and sounds like it was filmed in a moldy basement.

More than that though, it's just not very intriguing. A couple minutes of "sights and sounds," which is mostly just warm-ups before the round. Then it's more talk about the metrix but not showing any footage to accompany it, which would make those numbers really mean something.

So far, we've only been able to watch one 3-man card from day one, and a foursome streaming from today. We're now just a few hours from the final round. Sorry if you think I'm a negative Nancy, but I feel it's more than fair to say that for the greatest annual contest in our sport, this just doesn't cut the mustard.

EDIT -- round two from a chase card is now up.

Last edited:
Seemed too long, too much with the slow-mo's, too much time spent with endless views of hole 17. Just too much, yet somehow not enough. I'll keep watching them though hoping for improvement.

I think the Insider Show concept isn't a bad idea. Like was said, there is no actual disc golf coverage. Maybe the format works better as a preview show?

Levels, lighting and energy are all missing. They spend way too long on the metrix, but after 20 seconds of looking, we don't need an in depth breakdown of what we can read.

As long as they get better tourney after tourney, we will have something good. I'm a little skeptical though because it's hard to get through the whole show.

Latest posts