• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The League of Disappointment.

blackcatsmith

Double Eagle Member
I traveled to a nearby city with some buddies to play in their league, something I've done in the past a few times and enjoyed it throughly: Great course, perfect weather, a large turnout of a lot of talented players and a well run league were the reasons. Many of these attributes still existed, but they were overshadowed by a couple of bad decisions on the part of those running the league that day and a very small turnout. Specifically, the coordinator teamed up all of us from the same town with each other on the same card, and subsequently all of the locals(numbering 3), on another. No biggie, I enjoy playing this course regardless of with whom I'm playing, but then the local card proceeded to throw multiple shots on every drive, every up and every putt. When confronted with this fact after the round they said they were only using their first throw, but the last I checked throwing multiple shots is at best extra practice, and against the rules of the game, and at worst blatant cheating. We all left for home disappointed and somewhat maddened by the experience. We were all in agreement that this would be the last time we show up for league there. In hindsight I should've asked for my money back. Were they in the wrong? Am I being too fussy? Educate me.

Sounds shady to me.

I understand some league directors wanting to have people play with their buddies, but this is one reason that you try to put unfamiliar people together.

In hindsight I would have confronted them earlier. At least before the CTP hole anyway. In all actuality I was the least upset over their behavior. My mates were talking about violent repercussions, but they thought better of it and just left without talking to anyone. I suppose I let it fester until I felt I had to say something.

Can you mention what league so we can possibly get both sides of the story.....?

No offense, but its just hard to judge without knowing the league and their particular format. Not all leagues are ran the same across the board.

Can you mention what league so we can possibly get both sides of the story.....?

No offense, but its just hard to judge without knowing the league and their particular format. Not all leagues are ran the same across the board.

It doesn't sound right according to the OP but yeah this^^.

If it's their league, they can set the guidelines. If they set them as, "Throw your shot first and count it. Then you can throw as many extra practice shots as you want", that's their prerogative.

If you're worried that they might have played some of the mulligan shots, well, they could have just as easily cheated on the scorecard.

Your assumption is they would run it like other leagues you've played. I would have assumed that, too. But I think your best recourse is not to return.

Practice on your own time... not during league. We don't play full PDGA rules like calling stance violations and such at league, but we would never allow extra throws... just don't have time for that.

You were not in the wrong and I wouldn't go back either... and I'd tell them exactly why so they know why the turnout is small.

Throwing more than 1 shot is for practice or play with friends. Not for leagues! Format schmormat. They should be educated on the edicate of the game when it comes to formal league play.

It'd be an annoyance if we were following them and had to wait while they threw multiple shots. Since it was a very small league turn out, you guys plus three, I wouldn't sweat it. Larger turn out, then it starts affecting the flow, etc. There's also the chance someone might be tempted to play a "better" shot than their original. All in all, poor etiquette, but some leagues do it different than others. I wouldn't have asked for money back since I don't mind helping any club with my cash, but I would've expressed my opinions that's for sure :D

At our league it's casually competitive so if you want to throw an extra shot, go for it. But to do it on every hole is a bit much. Bummer it left a bad taste in your mouth. Hate leaving a course/tourney like that!

Ideally your group should have chalked it up and focused on having a good time, but I would have been a bit frustrated as well. I play leagues to find a bit of structure. I don't expect full PDGA tournament rules, but I do expect everyone to attempt to try. I would follow up and explain why four players will not be present again at their league.

Throwing more than 1 shot is for practice or play with friends. Not for leagues! Format schmormat. They should be educated on the edicate of the game when it comes to formal league play.
Except a lot of leagues aren't all that formal. They're nothing more than informal gatherings of local players with a basic set of rules (some of them house rules) with a small amount of cash on the line. They are a means for men (and a few women) to decompress for a few hours from the grind of their jobs and home lives. Throwing a few extra shots to test out a new disc isn't all that unusual, or out of line if time permits, and you remember that your first throw was the one that counts.

The part in blackcat's account that irks me is that these guys were throwing extra shots on everything, which I think can lead one to conclude that some of those extra shots were a little more than extra shots.

Your assumption is they would run it like other leagues you've played. I would have assumed that, too. But I think your best recourse is not to return.

this. it doesn't appear you play this league regularly and unless they say "pdga rules are in effect" then they can play whatever rules they want.

I actually played fairly well, or better than my average anyway on the course(and that always makes me happy). I stated how I felt, and I'd say that judging by their defensive retorts after I confronted them I believe they were fully aware they were being naughty or at least lazy... but I don't believe that they were fixing the game mind you, just not thinking. If they had said "throw as many as you like, but count the first" before the round I would have had no problem, but others as well as myself wondered that if we didn't know this rule or lack thereof, how many other rules are we not knowing? (Sorry for the Yoda speak)

I agree leagues can do anything they want and "you can't do anything about it na-na-na". But when they see new people there it would be considerate, and honest, to announce any "house rules" that might exist.

I agree leagues can do anything they want and "you can't do anything about it na-na-na". But when they see new people there it would be considerate, and honest, to announce any "house rules" that might exist.

that's really the crux right there. whatever rules you want to have are fine, as long as you tell new players what they are.

I would definitely suggest having a candid talk with their league director about it. If he is a reasonable guy he will probably find the feedback helpful. Obviously you want to approach with caution to avoid offending or putting him on the defensive.

In the leagues I play in we play by the PDGA rules, but with a little slack to keep things casual. Stance violations, falling putts, etc are all called. We mostly do this because the majority of our players participate in sanctioned tournaments, and it's good to practice the rules. We only throw extra shots rarely (and only if you ask your card mates for permission first) if someone wants to try out a different line, but it would be frowned upon if you did this more than a couple times during a round.

It's a sidebar issue, but I find grouping players by who they came with a bit odd. I mean, if you wanted to play the course with your carload of friends, you could have just driven to the course and played it casually amongst yourselves. One of the charms of league and tournament play is meeting and playing with different people.

If you mix the newcomers with the regulars, even if you don't announce the house rules in advance, or don't announce all of them, there'll be a regular in each group to fill the newcomers in.

Latest posts