• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"The Method" by Brian Weissman

So. I've just watched his "biomechanical leverage" and "standstill" videos he just put up.. aaand.

Those videos should've been his "teasing" videos. They actually brought something to the table.

I've had a little chat with him on reddit and even though it all seems a little too "fishy", he actually seems like a decent bloke.

My reddit comment still reflects my thought on the post itself, but I actually "liked" his two latest videos, compared to the others.

It might not be stuff that we didn't know and I might not like all of the stuff presented in the way he does, but it's a decent fucking video!

In the future, I won't be a keyboard warrior and dish out shit talk all the time 😂
He's probably genuine, most people are.
It's just the dunning kruger effect.

It might not be stuff that we didn't know and I might not like all of the stuff presented in the way he does, but it's a decent fucking video!
I dunno... His physics is still a bit out of whack, or at least his descriptions of it are. And as for "I'm throwing hard as hell here..." at the end. Well, yes, we can see that, it doesn't look at all healthy for the average guy!

I agree with bits of it, obviously, the importance of the brace and the loose upper body etc. But jeez, my neck would not survive that yeet. And his poor knee in those standstills...

But at least i think he's genuine now - i was convinced he was trolling with all that "a bow loses kinetic energy by vibrating the air around it" stuff. 😅

Crumbs, i just watched the leverage one. What is he talking about with excited atoms in the upper arm and then that energy transferring down the arm? That might be the most unhelpful scientific-sounding description of leverage i can imagine.

Crumbs, i just watched the leverage one. What is he talking about with excited atoms in the upper arm and then that energy transferring down the arm? That might be the most unhelpful scientific-sounding description of leverage i can imagine.
But keep watching, were going to talk in depth about the grip.

I know Trebuchet references him in some of his videos, I believe he helped him understand key concepts among other things if I am not mistaken.
That is correct! Brian helped nudge me away from dogmatically following front leg focused coaching. That was all I needed to lean into building more awareness of how the front hip clearing makes the back hip and leg want to move.

Lee, a coach you will get to see in the documentary is the best coach Ive ever worked with by a mile… very very clear understanding and explanation of subtleties in balance and structure. Dude is nuts…

The goal is to make youtube money and pull a sponsor if he can.

You, old friend, have never been more wrong. Dude does not need youtube money… he funded a professionally produced documentary about his coaching ideas just to give people the info. Youtube money is zero percent of his motivation.

You, old friend, have never been more wrong. Dude does not need youtube money… he funded a professionally produced documentary about his coaching ideas just to give people the info. Youtube money is zero percent of his motivation.

Well that's good.

It's pretty obvious from a lot of comments especially on reddit that there are some really bad mechanics there and.

If there is this really good coach involved.
Why are we trying to push a collapsed shoulder yeet to throw a frisbee?

Just to make sure everyone see's there is more.

I almost wanted to post this one as well but decided against it because not sure what good can come out of it. But im glad you posted it instead.

The guys form looks like he does the right movements with his lower body, then hammers his upper body around as fast as he can, making sure nothing gets transfered up his kinetic chain.

Going through the videos im not sure what he wants to teach. But I will believe that strong arming can get discs to 400 feet, I have tried it myself.
I saw Ken the tank Franks strong arm throw up to 600 feet in 2007. He was a former Linman for University of Nebraska and before a really bad helmet to helmet concussion took him out of playing in NCAA, he found disc golf and was playing pro due to his strength. He also overused his body and was one of the shorter lived top level pro players as by 2009 he was done and injured pulling muscles that took 10 years to recover.

Just to make sure everyone see's there is more.

What he demonstrates in the first half of the video looks a lot like teaching people to lock up their right knee.

When there is some great docu-series coming with knowledgeable coaches that is professionally produced I have no idea why they lead with him talking to the camera. Maybe the other guys starring in this are better coaches but for now this doesnt look good.

Without this turning into a shit galore, could someone explain me if what my "newbie" eyes sees is wrong?

- Collapsed shoulder/arm

- funky posture

- slight chickenwing off arm

- spinning out/opening up (couldn't get a frame of it, it's slightly after the still frame)

This isn't meant as a "dig", I'm literally just interested in his swing has any efficiencies or inefficiency that I'm not aware off.

He's believes that his throwing arm looks just fine and I'm looking at in the wrong way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240218-171617.png
    Screenshot_20240218-171617.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240218-172318.png
    Screenshot_20240218-172318.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240218-172233.png
    Screenshot_20240218-172233.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240218-171824.png
    Screenshot_20240218-171824.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Without this turning into a shit galore, could someone explain me if what my "newbie" eyes sees is wrong?

- Collapsed shoulder/arm

- funky posture

- slight chickenwing off arm

- spinning out/opening up (couldn't get a frame of it, it's slightly after the still frame)

This isn't meant as a "dig", I'm literally just interested in his swing has any efficiencies or inefficiency that I'm not aware off.

He's believes that his throwing arm looks just fine and I'm looking at in the wrong way.

But all that Kinetic energy he's making.
And how "powerful" his swing is.

It's nice that Treb jumped in here to defend something, but...

I learned nothing from his quick visit about this.

"Just watch the videos" doesn't fix the discussion that bad things are being taught.

The more and more I read responses from this guy, the more and more this feels like a joke/troll.

Such as this one.

Perhaps I'm just missing something here. I've had a number of people on this sub making "cult" accusations, which has kind of mystified me a bit. Perhaps Bradley Walker's ridiculous "Spin and Throw" community has poisoned the well. If so, that's a shame.

A lot of what you're presenting is "spin and throw."

I saw in another comment how he had spoken at length with Sidewinder over the years to develop this "method" and how its based off his teaching.

And how his "team" has been working on studying this for 'years' at this point.

So, this is feeling like a good elaborate troll.

[–]Trebuchet_DG

4 points 2 days ago
Ok, disclosure: I know Brian and was on set for part of the filming...

'The Method' is a reference to his work in competitive Magic: The Gathering. It's an in joke. Look it up...

We can reference treb here.. like "in joke?" well.
MTG has been a joke since like 7th edition, but... that's cause it got mainstreamed far to hard and turned into something I feel is dumb, but thats a different story.

But. Yeah. I'm feeling this is a well thought out troll at this point.

The responses from Brain are so wordy, so over the top and ignorant as to what is going on it has to be, because he's using 100's of words and saying nothing the whole time.

The community response has been really really negative as well. And I don't think its the bad car salesman stuff, its' just the info is bad.

Yeah, if this isn't an elaborate troll. And I outright bow to the level of effort put into selling the troll.. Yeah, if this "isn't" a troll. These guys need to all be taken out back and beaten as a team with rubber hoses. Cause good god.
You assembled a "team" and consulted with top coaches and came up with something we all know is not correct?
Yeah.

I watched all the videos. The rubber band two - argh. Not a single scientifically correct statement. Not one. My head still hurts. And no that's not how you shoot a bow.
Yeah, no kidding. "Inertial mass increases tremendously" had my eyes rolling through the back of my head. Elasticity being lost to air...

Vague language, big claims, a lot of hype before releasing their concrete media, questionable science, and a name to make it sound like one simple thing. Why does this have all the hallmarks of a fitness fad/rip-off when it's strictly unneccessary if they aren't looking to gain anything? They could have just waited until the free documentary was ready and dropped it.

Yeah, no kidding. "Inertial mass increases tremendously" had my eyes rolling through the back of my head. Elasticity being lost to air...

Vague language, big claims, a lot of hype before releasing their concrete media, questionable science, and a name to make it sound like one simple thing. Why does this have all the hallmarks of a fitness fad/rip-off when it's strictly unneccessary if they aren't looking to gain anything? They could have just waited until the free documentary was ready and dropped it.
but his team has been researching this for years.

What a bunch of horseshit.

I need to hear peoples opinion in his "back leg twist" take.

I'm out playing a round, gonna give it a closer look later on

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240429-162344.png
    Screenshot_20240429-162344.png
    877.5 KB · Views: 0