• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Most Difficult 1st hole you have ever played

Olorin

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
What is the most difficult hole 1 you have ever played? (Course, City, ST) Why?

Difficult as in takes a lot of strokes (really not difficulty imo) or difficult as in high strokes per foot (true difficulty imo)?

My vote goes to 1 at Inverness, Hoover AL, Long-Long. It is a steep uphill L-shaped par 4. Your drive must make it to the corner of the L while avoiding trickly OB on the steeply left to right shaped slope. Noodle arms like me are fortunate to make it to the short tee at the bend in the L. After that you still need to avoid going OB all on the right with your uphill 2nd shot to a tight green.

Difficult as in takes a lot of strokes (really not difficulty imo) or difficult as in high strokes per foot (true difficulty imo)?
How about Difficult as in "SSA - Par per 100 ft"?

Goyne Park Richmond Virginia #1 long tee less than 300 feet tunnel fairway on top of a Dam. Canopy, and heavy woods both sides. Tree kick left into the woods or right into the pond lost disc, best hope bogey both sides if dry. If you can get it all the way down fairway, basket hooks left need to hit the brakes for about a 15-foot window for birdie.

I was already aware the long tee's were missing or capture by overgrowth, so I decided to play shorts only, but when I picked up my disc from the basket and looked back up towards the long tee, I decided to play it after I finished my round, only long tee I played. The short tee #1 has a separate safe fairway. The water was high a little intimidating possibility of losing a disc. Decided Pig hit a tree solid on the water side and found it partially in the water on my way to a double.

Woodhenge in Smithville, MO. Par 4, doglegs left about 275ft down, then another 100 out into the open but the basket is set back against the trees to the right after you get into the open by another 60ft or so. Real tough opener to an excellent course.

Off the top of my head, I'd say hole 1 at Stafford Lake in Novato, CA.

It's 450' up a fairly steep hill, but that's not the only reason it's tough. You hike about a half mile from the parking lot, around the lake, and part of the way up the hill to get to that first tee. "First the hike, and now you want me to throw it way the hell up there?!?" Might as well have been 800'.

Hole 6 pays you back in spades for all the climbing though.

The 1033' #1 on the Big Brother course at Justin Trails in Sparta, WI. It's mostly a narrow corridor through the middle of a corn field which can be miserable about this time of year when the corn is at full height.

I suggested alternative designs for 1 & 2 in the early 2000s, but I think it's still there based on UDisc layouts.
Yep. It's still 1000'+ of fairly narrow fairway with farm field on one side and prairie grass on the other. Seems like the only reason to design it that way is to get you from point A (near the main cluster of buildings) to point B (the more interesting parts of the property). Like elmex said, it's a lousy way to start a great course.

The lady who owns the place is very proud of what they have built there. Approached the right way, I would think she might be receptive to changes. Especially because any of the b&b guests who aren't already dg'ers are likely to quit before they finish that hole. Beginners have no business on big brother period, but that hole is especially terrible for someone who can't throw far and in a consistent direction.

Yep. It's still 1000'+ of fairly narrow fairway with farm field on one side and prairie grass on the other. Seems like the only reason to design it that way is to get you from point A (near the main cluster of buildings) to point B (the more interesting parts of the property). Like elmex said, it's a lousy way to start a great course.

The lady who owns the place is very proud of what they have built there. Approached the right way, I would think she might be receptive to changes. Especially because any of the b&b guests who aren't already dg'ers are likely to quit before they finish that hole. Beginners have no business on big brother period, but that hole is especially terrible for someone who can't throw far and in a consistent direction.
The owners are the ones who asked me to suggest design tweaks but the original designer (basket provider) either didn't like the recommendations or wanted to retain "designership" of the course. My suggestion was for hole 1 to tee from about the same spot and angle towards or even tuck into woods if possible as a par 3. Hole 2 would continue along the woods line then dogleg right to the existing #2 basket. Seemed like a less brutal hole 1 then hole 2's a more interesting par 4 or 5 depending on how far back or forward the tee was located to need just one or two good throws to the dogleg corner.

Every first hole. Doesn't matter the course. For some reason I always 'choke' on the first hole of a round. Even if I practice beforehand...the first hole is going to be bad. It's a mental thing, but one I just have not found a solution for.

Hole #1 at Clark's Run.

Tight fairway for your first shot. Kick behind the hollies on the left and it almost a guarantee 5. Slightly raised basket with a sloping green makes approaches and putting touchy as well.

143788-8be50ef4.jpg

#1 Lake Iowa -- Tight fairway with OB road left and dense rough to the right.

#1 Wilderness -- Trees galore

The owners are the ones who asked me to suggest design tweaks but the original designer (basket provider) either didn't like the recommendations or wanted to retain "designership" of the course. My suggestion was for hole 1 to tee from about the same spot and angle towards or even tuck into woods if possible as a par 3. Hole 2 would continue along the woods line then dogleg right to the existing #2 basket. Seemed like a less brutal hole 1 then hole 2's a more interesting par 4 or 5 depending on how far back or forward the tee was located to need just one or two good throws to the dogleg corner.
I like your idea just fine, but it seems similar enough that I understand why the OG designer opted to keep his precious the same. Hole 2 is a pretty fun hole as it is, and while Hole 1 leaves something to be desired, it generates discussion which increases visibility.

Latest posts