• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Mother of All Disc and Other Abbreviations List

Trout

Hey all,

New here and have a rather new-ish question. I used to get out for a few rounds during college, but we only used a couple of beat-up discs that had been laying around. Now, I am returning and am a bit more interested in the different compositions, molds, etc of discs. But, when I go to look at disc-related thread (general or sale) there seems to be a bunch of abbreviations... some of which I have figured out, some of which still elude me. I know this is probably horribly remedial. Is there a thread that lists out the abbreviates for us neophytes? Or, can we compile one?

A few to get started (and I am willing to edit or add more):

#X - KC (Ken Climo) stamped discs which list the number of times the Champ has won it (e.g. current runs are 12x)
2FR - second first run
BB - Big Bead (as in the KC Aviar mold)
BH - back hand - combine with RH/LH for right/left hand e.g. RHBH = right hand backhand
BS - Barry Schultz, (and other non printable things)
CD - Control Driver (Discmania disc)
CE - Champion Edition Plastic
CFR - Champion fundraiser: Innova disc with purposely-limited availability in Champion plastic
CT - Cam Todd
CTP - Closest To Pin (usually a tiebreaker)
D, Pro-D - Discraft's baseline plastic
DGCR - that other place (Disc Golf Course Review)
DGR - this place (Disc Golf Review)
DROT - Disc Resting On Top - Drive lands on top of basket.
DX - Innova's standard plastic
ESP - Premium plastic from Discraft
EX - Eagle-X
F- Firm
F, FL, FX - Different Innova Firebird molds
FH - forehand, combine with RH/LH for right/left hand e.g. LHFH = left hand forehand
FLX - Discraft's flexible premium plastic
FR - First run
HSS - High speed stability: tendency to fade at high speeds
JLS - ? Long Straight
JK - Juliana Korver
KC - Ken Climo, the Champ
LSS - Low speed stability: tendency to fade at low speeds
M - Medium (flexibility) OR Millennium plastic
ND - Nate Doss
OAT - off axis torque
OB - out of bounds
OMB - Old Mold Beast
OOP - out of production
PD - Power Driver (Dismania disc)
PDGA - professional disc golf association
PLH - Parting Line Height
QOLS - Quantum Orion(?) Long Straight
R+ - Roc Plus (Also a TB+ now) characterized by a "relaxed angle of the bottom lip"
S- soft (mostly Gateway discs)
SE - Special Edition plastic
SEX - Star Eagle-X
SOLF - Sirrius Orion(?) Long Fade
SS- super soft (mostly Gateway discs)
SSS- Super stupid soft (mostly Gateway discs)
TB, tb - TeeBird
TD - Turning Driver (yet another Discmania disc with an abbreviated name) OR tournament director
TP - Tournament Pro
X - step up from base plastic from Discraft
Z - most durable plastic from Discraft

Thanks to JackMontana, garublador, zj1002, mark12b, what'shisname, Animix, marmoset... for assistance and additional abbreviations!

Trout said:
Hey all,

New here and have a rather new-ish question. I used to get out for a few rounds during college, but we only used a couple of beat-up discs that had been laying around. Now, I am returning and am a bit more interested in the different compositions, molds, etc of discs. But, when I go to look at disc-related thread (general or sale) there seems to be a bunch of abbreviations... some of which I have figured out, some of which still elude me. I know this is probably horribly remedial. Is there a thread that lists out the abbreviates for us neophytes? Or, can we compile one?

A few to get started (and I am willing to edit or add more):

#X (e.g., 9X, 12X) - Molds? Do these need to be split up to explain them fully?
BB -
CD -
CE - Champion Edition
DX - Innova's standard plastic
F -
FX -
KC -
M -
PD -
R+ - Some kind of mold for Rocs?
TB - TeeBird?
tb - (a different kind of TeeBird?)
TD -

Thanks for the help!

#X = KC stamped discs which list the number of times the Champ has won it (e.g. current runs are 12x)
BB = Big Bead (as in the KC Aviar mold)
CD = Control Driver (Discmania disc)
F, FX = Different Innova Firebird molds (also an FL)
KC = Ken Climo, the Champ
M = ?
PD = Power Driver (Dismania disc)
R+ = Roc Plus (Also a TB+ now) characterized by a "relaxed angle of the bottom lip"
TB = tb = TeeBird
TD = Turning Driver (yet another Discmania disc with an abbreviated name)

J

If the goal is to make a comprehensive list then we should add:

CE = Champion Edition plastic
SE = Special Edition plastic
FR = First run
2FR = second first run
JK = Juliana Korver
ESP = Premium plastic from Discraft
X = step up from base plastic from Discraft
Z = most durable plastic from Discraft
FLX = Discraft's flexible premium plastic
HSS = High speed stability: tendency to fade at high speeds
LSS = Low speed stability: tendency to fade at low speeds
BH = back hand, FH = forehand, combine with RH/LH for right/left hand e.g. RHBH = right hand backhand
OAT = off axis torque
DGR = this place
DGCR = that other place
PDGA = professional disc golf association

That's just what springs to mind

J

This is seriously helpful to my feeble mind... thanks!

I've added all the additional ones to the original post and alphabetized them (better than doing work)...

what'shisname said:
Is 2FR a joke? What the hell does that even mean?

Not a joke, you'll see it tossed around when talking about Buzzzards. It does seem an oxymoron, though.

My assumptions is that it refers to the first run of Buzzz's which did not have the Wasp wing (which has "WASP" on the inner rim)

Maybe someone will educate me.

J

D, Pro-D - Discraft's baseline plastic
CFR - Champion fundraiser: Innova disc with purposely-limited availability in Champion plastic
TD - can also stand for tournament director
OB - out of bounds
OOP - out of production

M = Medium most of the time on this board. as in M Ion or M Wizard. it is referring to the stiffness/flexibility of the plastic

the millennium junkies talk about a MOLS/MOLF but most of that chatter is restricted to the Millennium thread.

I would change your definition of M to Medium not Millennium

other common abbreviations for stiffness/flex/etc, pretty much only seen from Gateway discs.
F- Firm
S- soft
SS- super soft
SSS- Super stupid soft

DROT.. just witnessed one the other day, crazy rare I'd guess. (Disc Resting On Top). Drive lands on top of basket.

JackMontana said:
what'shisname said:
Is 2FR a joke? What the hell does that even mean?

Not a joke, you'll see it tossed around when talking about Buzzzards. It does seem an oxymoron, though.

My assumptions is that it refers to the first run of Buzzz's which did not have the Wasp wing (which has "WASP" on the inner rim)

Maybe someone will educate me.

J

2FR is indeed just a Buzzz thing. The first run Buzzzes had the WASP lettering on the inner rim but there were problems with the way it molded up (too many sunken flight plates I think) so they changed that piece in the mold to create the modern Buzzz. The new ones weren't as super flat as the first runs though and to I guess many people didn't fly quite as well. Later on Discraft did another run of Buzzzes (maybe as a fundraiser? Don't recall at the moment) using the WASP rim piece and called them 2nd First Runs since it's the famous first run Buzzz but a second run of it.

BS - Barry Schultz, (and other non printable things)
ND - Nate Doss
CT - Cam Todd
OMB - Old Mold Beast
CTP - Closest To Pin (usually a tiebreaker)

elitist= any dgr member with 1,000 + posts
gay= anybody with more than 2 posts in the "The guys over at Disc Golf Course Review" thread. http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15700

zj1002 said:
M = Medium most of the time on this board. as in M Ion or M Wizard. it is referring to the stiffness/flexibility of the plastic

the millennium junkies talk about a MOLS/MOLF but most of that chatter is restricted to the Millennium thread.

I would change your definition of M to Medium not Millennium
I forgot about medium. It could be either depending on the context.

More questions:

TP
JLS
QOLS
SOLF

And, I will update the original post later today...

Trout said:
More questions:

TP
JLS
QOLS
SOLF

And, I will update the original post later today...

TP = Tournament Pro
JLS = ? Long Straight
QOLS = Quantum Orion(?) Long Straight
SOLF = Sirrius Orion(?) Long Fade

I don't think anyone really knows what the J in JLS stands for. Maybe Zam does but if he does, he's not telling.

Latest posts