• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Mother of All Disc and Other Abbreviations List

EX = Eagle-X
SEX = Star Eagle-X

I think that's right... I don't think I've ever even seen an Eagle-X

J

The index for all the words the J in JLS stands for is actually hidden in the stamp, all sorts of DaVinci Code style. My favorite candidates are Jealous and Jiggle.

Updated.

I suppose a guy or gal would pick these up with time... but, right now, this list is incredible to me (in volume). Cheers to all you who have this stuff stored up in your gray matter.

Innova has this page which lists the most common abbreviations for their current molds. These are the 2 letter codes written in ballpoint pen on the back of your disc. I won't promise you that every variant is on there but most of them are.

I'm not sure if these qualify as abbreviations, but................

Anything that has a "+" (not including the Discraft Phantom+) after the name is a modified disc; so far every + mold has a noticeably slanted inner rim.
Innova has made the Roc+, Teebird+, and apparently an accidental run of Banshee+.

Innova's mold abbreviations followed by an "X" means more overstable than the usual mold.
WX=Whippet X
FX= Firebird X
MX= Monster X
etc.

Innova's mold abbreviations followed by an "L" means less overstable than the usual mold.
TL= Teebird L
SL= Starfire L
FL= Firebird L
etc.

Similarly, Discraft labels their less overstable mold variants as "SS" which stands for Super Straight.
Avenger SS
Buzzz SS
Surge SS

what'shisname said:
I don't think anyone really knows what the J in JLS stands for. Maybe Zam does but if he does, he's not telling.
i'll tell y'all this retarded bedtime story. got this from JH back when.

Dave D came to JH and said he had designed a disc that was easy to throw for beginners, AND had the glide of a Jaguar. That sounded like the Holy Grail. Being wordplay goofs they got Jail from Jaguar + Grail, and it ended up going through its test phases codenamed JLS. Dealer feedback was that people liked the name and it stuck. "Just Long Straight" was one of many bogus acronyms but it actually fit. The worst stamp ever soon followed.

Also EXP uses an Eagle-X wing so I believe EX to be the source for its name.

Related tidbit... all (base) model names are 3 syllables. Omega, Aurora, JLS, Polaris, Sentinel, Orion, EXP. Whooooaaaaaa

I bumped this because I found this thread after searching through around 20 pages.
Could this thread be made into a sticky?? I think that quite a lot of new and experienced players would appreciate this in a sticky.
I feel that when reading some of the threads by older more experienced players the terminology is real common. However for newer players some of the threads read like a foreign language.

So for the sake of the newer people and some of the older ones, I request that this thread be made into a sticky.
Thanks

Turbine712 said:
I bumped this because I found this thread after searching through around 20 pages.
Could this thread be made into a sticky?? I think that quite a lot of new and experienced players would appreciate this in a sticky.
I feel that when reading some of the threads by older more experienced players the terminology is real common. However for newer players some of the threads read like a foreign language.

So for the sake of the newer people and some of the older ones, I request that this thread be made into a sticky.
Thanks

+1

Latest posts