• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Are any of you roc throwers out there familiar with the gateway karma? How does it
Compare?

Are any of you roc throwers out there familiar with the gateway karma? How does it
Compare?

I tried to switch to Gateway mids for a while and had 2 or 3 SureGrip Karmas. It's shallower than a Roc and has that curve where the rim meets that flight plate that some people hate (that part didn't bother me). The Karmas I had were all less high speed stable than a Roc. They either started out with some turn or else developed it very quickly. They're not bad mids at all, but I wouldn't say they fly that similarly to a Roc.

I tried some Warriors which are also interesting mids. They tended to fade harder than a Roc, but all but 1 of my Warriors also developed some turn pretty quickly so they ended up flipping over a bit and then biting back hard at the end of the flight. I had 1 Warrior that I really liked: it flew straight with a hard fade at the end. Honestly, it flew a lot like a Verdict though so if you really want that straight to hard fade flight, I think it's easier to buy a Verdict than look for a "good" Warrior.

Interesting. My verdict act d a lot like those warriors you're talking about. Started quite stable, but beat in quick. So it has some turn with a solid bite at the end.

My west side pine flys that straight to solid fade line you're talking about. And it seems to be wearing pretty slowly, I haven't noticed any change in it all summer.
I wonder if I got a strange verdict, or maybe the lucids best in quickly?

That's a sweet find! Not everyday someone casually uncovers a box of USDGC Rocs from 8 years ago. Haven't thrown that run, but I enjoy the stability of my 05 USDGC Champion Roc.

Somewhat related question: were USDGC Champ Rocs more valuable and sought after before Champion Roc3s came out? I played very casually up until the past couple of years and wasn't paying attention to that sort of thing. I'm always surprised when I see a never or barely thrown old USDGC Champ Roc go for less than $20 on the facebook auction sites.

That's a sweet find! Not everyday someone casually uncovers a box of USDGC Rocs from 8 years ago. Haven't thrown that run, but I enjoy the stability of my 05 USDGC Champion Roc.

Somewhat related question: were USDGC Champ Rocs more valuable and sought after before Champion Roc3s came out? I played very casually up until the past couple of years and wasn't paying attention to that sort of thing. I'm always surprised when I see a never or barely thrown old USDGC Champ Roc go for less than $20 on the facebook auction sites.
I'm not sure when USDGC Rocs stopped being the be-all end-all, but the USDGC Roc release date used to be a huge deal and the prices would spike up automatically. Somewhere along the line it just stopped being that big of a deal, not sure if it lined up with the Roc3 or not. I'm thinking it happened when they cancelled the Pro version one year and had Champ USDGC Roc+'s out for sale. Neither one of those ideas was really great for USDGC Rocs.

Not to derail the USDGC discussion, but has anyone tried the flat top KC rocs from Marshall St?

As for the USDGC ones. I picked up a few from marshall street. They feel and fly just like my 08 throwers.

Not to derail the USDGC discussion, but has anyone tried the flat top KC rocs from Marshall St?

Just picked one up. It's definitely flat and has a really nice feel to it. I have not thrown it, but I can't see why it won't fly great.

Awesome I'll have to grab some then. I am always hesitant to buy rocs offline but have no access to consistent flatties.

About 3ish months ago I found myself slowing throwing all rocs in my midranges. However, my overstable roc got a nasty kick off a tree into the depths of my local lake. After another week or two of playing I realized I was throwing my emac truth for nearly every shot. But recently I've notice how I don't like the speed of the emac, if a hole is in the 210-250 range I don't like throwing the emac, it just doesn't want to turnover or hold straight long enough at that distance, even a beat in one. I still have one mega flippy dx roc. I now find myself missing the roc, it's much more controlable than the emac and I can get it to go straight or turnover much easier. I can throw it smooth, unlike the emac where it doesn't like being powered down in my open. I think I'm going to go back to throwing rocs and keep an emac in the bag for those 260-290 range shots. My favorite rocs where slightly stiff dx ones that after getting a little dirt on them they have a nice tacky feel. My dream roc would be a roc with the classic aviar plastic. A nice stiff dx that beats in beautifully. I had a pink classic aviar that beat in to this smooth buttery feel, when I threw that disc in the lake I nearly cried.

They are stiff and the inner rim is much more like the one on older DX Rocs, more straight than slanted outwards. The plastic is also really stiff. How they beat in I dare not speak about.

My dream roc would be a roc with the classic aviar plastic. A nice stiff dx that beats in beautifully.

This sounds amazing. I have noticed the new DX Rocs that have "Roc" embossed on the bottom just don't feel right. Strange feeling floppy plastic. The embossed Classic Aviars I have tried seem to be fine.

Latest posts