• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

I have a star ranch that I used to really like but the more I threw it the more it got squirrelly on me, not the other way around. I generally opt for my flat top dx roc because it is a lot more predictable.

Yeah, I hear you. And I could see that.

I was honestly expecting the Roc to be more stable/os also (and to have less glide). It certainly wouldn't fill an OS mid slot. And my expectations may have been right, I just happened to find the flippier version of it, relatively speaking.

Funny that infinite lists the rancho as "The Rancho Roc is a mold of the Roc that was originally manufactured when Innova moved to Rancho Cucamonga California. This is said to be the most overstable of the Roc Family." Guess it just doesn't apply to the star.
Basically the Star Rancho's I have had were ridiculously domey. Not just "hey that's domey" domey, but huge pop-top domey to the point where there is a groove top effect where the flight plate dips a bit where the wing ends underneath it before popping up to a huge distorted dome. Really domey. Stupidly domey. All of that dome takes a lot of the HHS out of the disc so it's flippy, but it gives it some extra glide. So it flies, but not like a Rancho Roc.

I threw the first run of www Q Sentinels for a long time as a poor man's Champ Roc back when Champ Rocs sold for crazystupid $. As a Q Sentinel, it stinks. Not beefy enough, not fast enough. If doesn't fly like a Sentinel, so all the Sentinel throwers hate them. They kinda fly more like a Roc. Roc throwers didn't buy them, though. Why would they? They were Sentinels. So I get the whole idea of using a disc for what it's good for. I think I didn't do that with Star Rancho's because I didn't like how they felt in my hand.

I must have a relatively nice Star Rancho. A local store ordered a few for me to pick through a couple years ago; I just bought the one. (I was considering ordering online but the description of the disc said "Dome Patrol" LOL!) It doesn't have much dome at all. Really gummy though; I prefer a more rigid disc, so I have only thrown it for 5-6 rounds.

The DX Rocs I have gotten recently have a really nice feel: stiff rims with a nice, even dome, and plastic that feels somewhere between Classic Aviars and some KC Pros I picked up a while ago. Even found some swirly DX (light blue with swirls of darker blues and white) that look almost too pretty to throw.

What's with the star rancho roc hate? I have seen some domey ones, and also some board flat ones. I love them. both. Definitely OS enough for headwinds. They can be flipped over, but just don't try a 300 ft. anhyzer flex shot into a headwind and you won't have to worry about them flipping.

If you don't like the gummy ones I'd gladly swap you something for it.

I must have a relatively nice Star Rancho. A local store ordered a few for me to pick through a couple years ago; I just bought the one. (I was considering ordering online but the description of the disc said "Dome Patrol" LOL!) It doesn't have much dome at all. Really gummy though; I prefer a more rigid disc, so I have only thrown it for 5-6 rounds.

The DX Rocs I have gotten recently have a really nice feel: stiff rims with a nice, even dome, and plastic that feels somewhere between Classic Aviars and some KC Pros I picked up a while ago. Even found some swirly DX (light blue with swirls of darker blues and white) that look almost too pretty to throw.

I found a champ Ontario roc this weekend in a used bin, curious if these have any value? I can get some pictures of it later, but it has the two ring Ontario tooling. Are all the Ontario's tooled like that? Only got to throw it a handful of times, but it's a nice straight flyer.

I found a champ Ontario roc this weekend in a used bin, curious if these have any value? I can get some pictures of it later, but it has the two ring Ontario tooling. Are all the Ontario's tooled like that? Only got to throw it a handful of times, but it's a nice straight flyer.

I mean yeah they're all worth something, but it's not 2015 sexybird or CE Eagle range by any means.

I mean yeah they're all worth something, but it's not 2015 sexybird or CE Eagle range by any means.

True, it seems like a nice thrower anyways, plus I'm sure the ink on it would kill the value.

Pictures would help a lot.

I'll try to get some pictures tonight or tomorrow. I didn't mention that it's very flat, almost no dome to it.

The Ontarios are generally produced in lower numbers so they're more rare and generally more expensive than their Rancho counterparts, but it's not going to get you much with ink. It sounds like it should be a nice thrower.

True, it seems like a nice thrower anyways, plus I'm sure the ink on it would kill the value.

To me the greatest gain with a score like that is to slide it in the bag. Could still make you some money on a league night or at a tourney! :D

I have two max weight star rancho rocs that are more beefy than a fresh dx. I love them! Nice mild dome but nothing like a comet's dome. I use them both bh and fh.

I honestly didn't know they still made Star Rancho Rocs. I have not seen one in years, and the ones I did see had enough dome to hold a circus under. :|

The flat Star Ranchos are money -- very overstable and fast. The "'01 CE Remakes" fall into this category too, although those are gummy and silly expensive.

Unfortunately you're right. Being an X-Out like that doesn't help one bit. If I had to guess, I'd say it's from the 2007 run (has streaking like mine do). Being an X-Out doesn't help its value. If I were you I'd throw it. It'll add more value to your bag than the 20 or so dollars you may net from selling it.

Here's some pics, I don't know if these will help in identifying anything as far as the era.

Untitled by Sean Farrell, on Flickr

I think it's pretty neat.

Unfortunately you're right. Being an X-Out like that doesn't help one bit. If I had to guess, I'd say it's from the 2007 run (has streaking like mine do). Being an X-Out doesn't help its value. If I were you I'd throw it. It'll add more value to your bag than the 20 or so dollars you may net from selling it.
Ummm...I hate to be that guy, but that disc is a Cobra.

I mean I like Cobras and Champ Cobras are still cool. It's just, you know...Roc thread. :|

Latest posts