• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

lol funny....does anyone have one of the new san marino champ roc's? i think im gonna buy one with the "west sayeed" stamp cause there are a lot on ebay, just wondering if anyone else had one and likes it

The Roc is too much disc for 100'. You should do like the top pro's and follow this basic rule of thumb.

over 400' throw a Teebird

300'-400' use the legendary Roc

200'-300' time to break out the putter

Anything under 200' If you can't hit it with your mini you have serious form issues. :D

I hope you're joking. :rolleyes:

lol funny....does anyone have one of the new san marino champ roc's? i think im gonna buy one with the "west sayeed" stamp cause there are a lot on ebay, just wondering if anyone else had one and likes it

I've got one of the new Champ San Marinos, mine is 176grms. It is a very nice workable disc. Using a combo of nose and release angles it can fly any line in its range. However, so can a dx rancho roc. If you buy a high end plastic roc go to the Zonedriven.com pro shop and support the USDGC. Support the tourny not the re-sellers, they update the inventory once a year and the new stuff sells fast.

Types of Rocs:

History of the different kinds of Rocs:[FONT=&quot][4][/FONT]

1) Original Roc 21.2 cm diameter - narrow rim, one of the first discs with a bead, and was basically a beaded version
of the XD. This disc was first released around 1987, and discontinued around 1992.

By the way... I don't know if anyone is interested but I could probably get my hands on a bunch of these. I have a friend who has probably 10 or 15 of them. Most new. I think there are a bunch with the "football" stamp as well. They probably wouldn't be cheap. But I do know someone with them and he would probably sell.

If the picture attaches... some of them look like this.

By the way... they fly great. You should try them out. :D

Attachments

• 200-eb30-medium.jpg
    200-eb30-medium.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
The original 21.2 cm diameter disc came back in '95 as the "Classic Roc." It has the "Roc" name, but it should be considered a completely different unrelated disc to the other Roc's. It is nothing like a Roc.

Why do you say the Classic Roc is nothing like a Roc? Because I was thinking of getting one for P&A since my tiny hands like the feel of a Roc.

Classics make great putters. I especially like them on head wind putts, but the Fort (Fort Wayne) is Classic crazy and most every guy throws them or an XD for every putt.

There is also the Ching roc or "full color" roc. This is a dx disc that has a stamp on top in full color and tends to have a slightly flatter top for this reason.

Oh yes, flat-top Roc! These tend to be more high-speed stable. You can put more on 'em when you throw and work great in a head-wind.

So for someone who has never thrown a ROC, but would like to try one out ... what is the best first ROC to get?

The guy who wrote Joe's Universal Flight Chart (Blake Takkunen) was in Dallas over the weekend and gave a little clinic for several of us, and one of the things we talked about were what makes a "good" Roc. I've always been a huge fan of the Ching (flat-top) Rocs, but he told me that they're the worst ones in terms of glide. He also explained that a Rancho Roc with a slight/gradual dome leading up to a flat center can still fly on a flat s-curve line even when well-used, whereas a well-used Ching will flip over and hold that line until it hits the ground.

Ching = fast and high-speed stable with very little glide, beats in very quickly (few months of constant use to become a turnover disc)

Rancho = still high-speed stable, not *quite* as fast, but with much more glide...takes MUCH longer to break in to a turnover (possibly a year or more)

What you want to look at is the disc's profile...on a Rancho you want the dome to be a gradual slope from the edge of the disc and the middle of the disc (where the circle is on the current DX stamp) to be flat, not domey. Blake said his personal favorites were from 2003...he said the DX Roc plastic from that year is best in terms of glide. Every run will be slightly different in terms of shape...this is caused by the how quickly the disc cools after it comes out of the injection mold, which is heavily affected by the outside temp and humidity at that given time.

Every run will be slightly different in terms of shape...this is caused by the how quickly the disc cools after it comes out of the injection mold, which is heavily affected by the outside temp and humidity at that given time.

Why can't Innova build an environment-controlled cooling booth to cool the discs properly instead of leaving it out in the open area where it can be exposes to unpredictable temp/humidity??

Makes no senses...:confused:

Why can't Innova build an environment-controlled cooling booth to cool the discs properly instead of leaving it out in the open area where it can be exposes to unpredictable temp/humidity??

Makes no senses...:confused:

probably because the number of disc golfers with this level of concern is extremely minimal.

no offense intended to anyone who has this level of concern.

my opinion is the first time you throw that disc it is going to hit something (ground counts) and no longer be in the exact same shape as it was when it was formed. heck, my discs sit in their bag all summer in the trunk on hot days. that must warp them at least slightly. and then all winter as well. every champ innova disc i've seen so far once it gets to warm the top starts to cave in. just my opinion of course.

probably because the number of disc golfers with this level of concern is extremely minimal.

no offense intended to anyone who has this level of concern.

my opinion is the first time you throw that disc it is going to hit something (ground counts) and no longer be in the exact same shape as it was when it was formed. heck, my discs sit in their bag all summer in the trunk on hot days. that must warp them at least slightly. and then all winter as well. every champ innova disc i've seen so far once it gets to warm the top starts to cave in. just my opinion of course.

All that's true, but the differences in runs caused by temp/humidity can make almost an entirely new disc...much more of a drastic change than hitting some trees or warping a little. Great example...the Champion Sidewinder vs. DX Sidewinder. If you can find both of these in a store, hold them up side by side and look at the bottom wing of the disc...the Champions have a flat, almost convex bottom wing (like the SW is supposed to), but the new DX ones cooled differently, which caused a concave bottom wing (almost Orc-like). Granted, I haven't thrown a DX SW, but based on the wing shape it would probably fly more like an original mold Beast.

after reading about how good the roc seems to be i decided to give it another try...i just traded and got a brand new roc and im gonna see if it will take the place of my buzz

after reading about how good the roc seems to be i decided to give it another try...i just traded and got a brand new roc and im gonna see if it will take the place of my buzz
Well, if you are going to take a Roc and a Buzzz and expect the Roc to knock your socks off and be so much better than the Buzzz that you want to convert on the spot, I'm afraid you will be disappointed. The Buzzz is a very solid disc and should perform very well compared to the Roc.

Where the Roc really shines is when you get several Rocs in various stages of wear. A new Roc will start out more stable than a Buzzz and over time will beat into a straight flyer and then a predictable turnover disc. You will find that you only need Rocs for all your mid-range shots, whereas with the Buzzz you would need to combine it with the Wasp and Meteor to cover all of your shots. The main advantage to using just the Roc is the comfort and confidence you build. You only have to get a comfortable grip with one disc as opposed to three. That's the kind of effect that you will not see until you put the discs in your bag and use them over a long period of time.

Latest posts