• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Wow. Cool. That's around the time I started playing, but didn't know anything and proceeded to spend the next two years throwing just a Whippet mostly forehand. This is the Roc that I should've had from the start :)

Anywho, thanks for the quick reply!

Did you ever try an XT Roc? Flat top and really nice...

I hope that Nexus takes the better attributes of XT and adds some durability (I will likely pass out from holding my breath...).

Did you ever try an XT Roc? Flat top and really nice...

I hope that Nexus takes the better attributes of XT and adds some durability (I will likely pass out from holding my breath...).

I have only held them but never threw them. They are just too grippy for me to even throw.

Interesting... I think I might have been in the wrong about Nexus (from what I am seeing with the Weese BB Aviar). It seems firm but grippy. You might need a different cup of tea!

I hope that you bring back those awesome Panda stamps soon. I still have a few I purchased from you a couple years ago.

Brought out my family of 30 Year Rocs for a photo. Favorite Roc ever. I know this collection is small compared to a lot of you guys, but these should last me several years.

Attachments

• 705D593D-5A78-4CE8-8345-69AF025FD086.jpg
    705D593D-5A78-4CE8-8345-69AF025FD086.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 106
Brought out my family of 30 Year Rocs for a photo. Favorite Roc ever. I know this collection is small compared to a lot of you guys, but these should last me several years.

Those Rocs are great flyers. My only knock on them is that Innova used mostly all HORRIBLE foils.

Flag foil doesn't do that stamp justice.

Those Rocs are great flyers. My only knock on them is that Innova used mostly all HORRIBLE foils.

Flag foil doesn't do that stamp justice.

I've heard these fly great, but I can't bring myself to throw the one I have. It is a deep emerald green with blue-green swirls and a gold holofoil stamp. I actually framed it in a shadowbox and hung it up in my office.

I've heard these fly great, but I can't bring myself to throw the one I have. It is a deep emerald green with blue-green swirls and a gold holofoil stamp. I actually framed it in a shadowbox and hung it up in my office.

They fly amazing! They've got some stability to them. You can get the to skip pretty easily too.

I have one hanging on a wall too, it's orange with red swirls.

Looking at getting into rocs and am wondering what I should be looking for when I go to the store to buy them.

Very nice! I have a few of these and they do fly great. My only beef with them is this blend of champion plastic is super slippery for my grip. If it's not perfectly dry out, there's no way I can throw them. On the other hand, I think they're also nearly indestructible, so there's good and bad to the plastic.

Looking at getting into rocs and am wondering what I should be looking for when I go to the store to buy them.

Find a store with a used bin and find the most beat up, slashed, chipped, junky looking Roc you can and buy it. It will be magic. Then get a new one for a shorter, more stable compliment to that.

Honestly, if you want a more general consensus on a "good" Roc, look for plastic that doesn't feel waxy, a straight (not slanted) inner rim, and a mild dome (so that it doesn't make a "pop" when you press the top of the disc with both thumbs). Try DX or KC Pro plastic first (whichever feels better to you in the store). Don't get Star or Champ to start out with; the mold was made for baseline plastics.

The first couple times I tried a Roc, it didn't click with me and I didn't figure out what all the fuss was about. It took a few tries over the years before I threw one enough times to beat it into that magical sweet spot. Then I was hooked, and I've never been without one in the bag since.

Oh and please don't get a Roc3, VRoc, VRoc3, RocX3, etc. Those are not "Rocs," just Innova trying to profit off the name. If you want to see what made this mold famous, just buy a regular, old DX or KC Pro Roc.

I was in the same boat, didn't click with it initially, but that was a long time ago.

But yeah, go feel some up, your hands will tell you when you've found the right one. Best suggestion I'd have is I think the roc wants to be thrown like a putter. I was coming from the buzzz, which wants to be more thrown like a driver. Depending on what mid you've been using prior it might need a more smooth throw and a little more height but then the glide will kick in. The roc responds very well to being worked on angles.

Latest posts