• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Am I the only one who finds it weird that my DSG has Star Rancho Rocs? Awful weird to have a big box store stock OOP plastic, right?

Small hijack, but would you elaborate a bit on "pop-top garbage"? What does pop top mean and why is it not good?
The working theory when the Roc went from Sanny to Ontario to Rancho was that the problem with the Ontario's was that they had too much dome so they started out less HSS. Rancho Rocs are not supposed to be flat (sorry flat-top weirdos) but the dome is supposed to be mild.

Along into the mid '00's Rancho DX Rocs started to get domey. You had to be careful of the dome when you bought them. The easy test for that is the drumming test; you hold the disc in both hands with your thumbs on the dome and press down. If it makes an audible sound when the dome pops back, it's "drumming". Drummer Rocs are a matter of degree; a slight drum can be OK, but a loud "thwop" with a visual where you actually see the dome pop back is bad. Those Rocs are too domey, they are not going to start out HSS enough to be a good Roc.

So we already knew before Star Rancho Rocs were a thing that too much dome in a Roc was bad.

Star Rancho Rocs generally take drummer Rocs to the next level; the top is popped into a ridiculous pup tent of a dome to the point where the dome is distorted and there is a groove top-type appearance to the disc. Pop-top Rocs de facto are drummer Rocs; they are going to make a huge "thwop" sound. You don't have to do the drumming test to know, though. They are so domey that their cartoonish appearance tells you right away to steer clear. They are not good Rocs, they are nowhere near HSS enough to be a good Roc.

There have been Star Rancho's with the correct dome so it's not impossible to have one (USDGC Rocs generally are not garbage) that is a very good Roc. They are the exception in my experience; I've never actually seen a decent Star Rancho Roc in person.

The only Star Roc I personally have owned that was not hot garbage was ironically a Star Ontario Roc that had significantly less dome than any Star Rancho Roc I've seen and flies like butter. That Star Ontario Roc has made me continue to fondle the Star Rancho Rocs when I see them on the off chance that they are not garbage; I'm assuming if you had a Star Rancho that actually molded up correctly it would be amazeballz. I've never seen one, though.

Small hijack, but would you elaborate a bit on "pop-top garbage"? What does pop top mean and why is it not good?

Pop top basically just refers to a big dome.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to dome. For me it's mostly about the way it feels in my hand and when it comes to mids specifically I have better luck hitting my lines and angles if the disc is flatter.

I'm assuming if you had a Star Rancho that actually molded up correctly it would be amazeballz. I've never seen one, though.

I bag a Star Rancho I picked up from a used bin that has a very mild dome. It does not have the typical Roc glide and is extremely overstable. It is used pretty much exclusively for headwind drives or spike hyzers. I'll post a picture of the profile when I get the chance.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pop-top garbage in pictures: Disc on the left is what a good Roc looks like. The disc on the right is what most Rancho Rocs I've seen look like.

picture.php

picture.php

It's not even in the ballpark. The dome on the Star Rancho Roc is a cartoonish abomination.

EDIT: The Star Rancho Roc was the result of my mother in-law going into a disc golf store to buy me a Christmas gift and my wife talking to her on the phone reading the names of the discs in my bag. I got a freakish Star Valk that flies like a Firebird and this Roc. Bless their hearts, they tried.

Last edited:
I like the flat top DX Ranchos. In fact, my favorite Roc ATM is a super beat flat Rancho. Flies slightly understable. Amazing disc

Pop top basically just refers to a big dome.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to dome. For me it's mostly about the way it feels in my hand and when it comes to mids specifically I have better luck hitting my lines and angles if the disc is flatter.
Pop tops do a lot of weird thing. They create that groove in the top and the wing will have a plus rim feel to the grip. They also mess with where the parting line is. Basically the discs are distorted so all bets are off. There isn't a disc not made by QuestAT that is designed to have a pop top, so the Innova discs that have them 100% do not fly as advertised. Why Innova seems to think it's OK to sell them baffles me.

So, it's time to rethink my mids. I kinda hate to do this to myself but I am not using them so often anymore. The Star Roc3 I have is very domey, and I've lost some confidence in it. The DX flat top Rocs used to always fight back, but I'm throwing a little better now. Some one gave me a DX Roc3X, a Buzz and an Envy. Is there a good run of Star Roc3s?

I think I'll keep my 180g KC Pro. It's domey, but at that weight it kinda has it's own thing going. Reminds me of a city bus—very slow, likes to stop.

The tour series roc3s are a KCish blend and pretty reliably hold lines like I expect rocs to. Oh and they glow.

So, it's time to rethink my mids. I kinda hate to do this to myself but I am not using them so often anymore. The Star Roc3 I have is very domey, and I've lost some confidence in it. The DX flat top Rocs used to always fight back, but I'm throwing a little better now. Some one gave me a DX Roc3X, a Buzz and an Envy. Is there a good run of Star Roc3s?

I think I'll keep my 180g KC Pro. It's domey, but at that weight it kinda has it's own thing going. Reminds me of a city bus—very slow, likes to stop.

Email me your address to [email protected] or text 636-515-6960 and I'll send you a Gila for free as a fellow Roc Head.

It's the best compliment to a Roc cyle that is available. I designed it to be a faster, more OS Roc like an old Sentinel.

A nice beat DX Roc, fresher KC Roc & a Fossil or Armor Gila and you're set up a B. A. mid set up.

To comment on your actual post and not pimp a disc I designed... I used to have a killer Star Roc3 that was flat top, pink and I believe bottom stamped. Awesome flying mid but I found what you seem to have discovered... Star Roc3s are not consistent. No premium Roc seems to be consistent for that matter. The last several USDGC Rocs I picked up were all clunky, no glide yet not that OS flyers that just felt terrible in my hand.

In short... Rocs and Gilas FTW

I have a white team inmova stamped Star Roc3 that I need to give another chance now that the snow is gone. I usually bag 3-4 rocs but that one was just a little too squirrelly without actually being understable.

I was considering throwing the Envy this season, but then I did some field work with the Rocs. There's no way that I can drop the Roc from the bag, but could I squeeze in the Envy as well? Not so sure, I like to travel light

I was considering throwing the Envy this season, but then I did some field work with the Rocs. There's no way that I can drop the Roc from the bag, but could I squeeze in the Envy as well? Not so sure, I like to travel light

I carry only six discs most of the time. Could the Envy do double duty and also be your main putter? Rather than an Envy, I carry an Anode which is my main putter AND my understable upshot disc. It is very firm and the quality plastic stays fresh.

I have an Envy and Rocs in the bag. They can coexist. I get similar flights but the Roc goes farther. There can be some overlap in that a powered down Roc shot and a hard Envy shot are very similar so which disc I use depends on how froggy I'm feeling that day.

Here's my two Star Rocs, sorry I can't get the attachment thing to work

https://imgur.com/a/07CDiSm

The blue one does have a small but noticable "thwap" to it and I'd rate it's dominess at a 5 on the OTB scale. The pink one is "thwap"less and flies a bit more OS than the blue one. Been bagging the blue one with a Z-Glow Comet and Eclipse Reactor as my mids recently

Last edited:

I used to bag a couple Envies and think they're great discs but since I started playing around with Rocs I've found I don't really need them. That being said I can only get my putters out to around 215 max and mids around 250 so if you can actually throw well you may find they fly different enough to justify bagging both.

Latest posts