• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] The Obex

So a speed 9 based on rim width. It could fly like a slower disc but rim width is the only truly quantifiable measure of speed, so it's what I go by.

I view height as a quantifiable measure... secondary to rim width of course.

Threw an Obex in the Birdie Bash today (they were out of Ibex). Two other guys in my group had them, and we were all of an opinion that this ain't no OS mid. I liked mine better than the last one I had, but it is one odd duck. Considering that Ascent and Trak performed as advertised, at least for me, wonder why this disc wasn't redone/renamed....

It's OS but it just seems really speed (un)stable. It loses a lot of fade if you get it cruising on a good rip. Low power throws and it's decidedly OS. This doesn't really float most people's boats it seems. People like their mids straight or hard hooking. Vibram could probably use a Sobex.

I've been throwing an Obex for a good long while. It fills the "more overstable than a DX Roc" role in my bag, and being made of rubber, does not go through a beat-in cycle like my 2-3 Rocs do. It has a similar feel on the rim to a Roc or an Ibex, which I like. It flies straight for most of its flight, with no noticeable turn, assuming you throw it flat and cleanly, but it consistently fades at the end of its flight. I find it shows less glide than a Roc, and fades harder, so it doesn't travel as far for me. I've not had a Wasp, but the comparison sounds fairly accurate.

It's OS but it just seems really speed (un)stable. It loses a lot of fade if you get it cruising on a good rip. Low power throws and it's decidedly OS. This doesn't really float most people's boats it seems. People like their mids straight or hard hooking. Vibram could probably use a Sobex.

This. Also, the HSS is a bit lacking. Shows turn into a brisk or heavier headwind.

Vibram's own flight numbers for Obex (-6 turn, 12 fade)are for a 56 mph throw, same speed as the Ascent, and only 2 mph less than the O-Lace. Lace and Trak are 50.

So it looks to me like the disc is supposed to handle power.

I've found this to be true (though I won't try to explain why), but Vibram is fairly nose-angle sensitive.

I've encountered this with my Ibex, where I used to flip it over on longer throws, but that was because of OAT.

The Lace family is similar because of their wider rims.

I would also say that the Obex falls into this category. Works well for flicks, but a lot of people have OAT/wrist roll in their flick game, and then just assume it's the disc, when in reality it's showing bad form...

True with anyone else? Is it more true or less true with Vibram/rubber discs that OAT/wrist roll impacts flight?

Honest curiosity, how does height affect speed?

I could be completely wrong but I would think that a disc with a higher profile would be less aerodynamic than a disc of a lower profile (all other things being equal). There is just more surface area creating more resistance against the oncoming air.

Also, I have browsed through the inflight guide looking at fairway drivers of the same rim width. Fairways with more height (around 1.8 cm) tended to have shorter distances than fairways with less height (around 1.4 cm). I only looked at a handful though, so don't take this as fact. If I have time, I will put together a spreadsheet/scatterplot with more data.

I could be completely wrong but I would think that a disc with a higher profile would be less aerodynamic than a disc of a lower profile (all other things being equal). There is just more surface area creating more resistance against the oncoming air.

Also, I have browsed through the inflight guide looking at fairway drivers of the same rim width. Fairways with more height (around 1.8 cm) tended to have shorter distances than fairways with less height (around 1.4 cm). I only looked at a handful though, so don't take this as fact. If I have time, I will put together a spreadsheet/scatterplot with more data.

Taller=slower is my assumption too. Just never really knew.

Keep us posted! A lot of my drivers aren't as tall as my putters. Very general, vague yet insightful observation! :clap:

Been throwing an obex for about two weeks now. To me it feels like a new max weight roc. Doesn't have as much glide as roc on the same line but will get the same distance with a bit more height. I'm really digging the grip and the feel in the hand. It also powers down well.

Just picked up an ibex today and played a round with it. I think I like the obex better. I was looking for something similar to a buzz but the ibex seems to really lack glide.

I'm going to try to reset one of my Obexes, because my bag got stolen, and the one I used previously is missing, so I'll see if reseting an older one will be able to replace that one.