• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Sol

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Now that the Sol has officially been released, I thought it might be worth making its own thread dedicated to this lovely disc.
Here's the link to the former discussion on the 2018 Ace Race Disc.

Anyway, one question I have is for people who have maybe played both the Ace Race version and the first run Sol and how similar they might be?
The AR version is ESP and the more I use it, the more I really dig it for delicate shots. But the first run Sol is only in Elite-Z and I was wondering what folks thought of it, especially those who have the ESP ace race version?

My first Z SOL dropped in yesterday, have not thrown it yet.

Kind of feels like a "domy Zone" it feels REALLY good in the hand and have no sharp edges

Had a few hours on the course with the Z SOL today.

Started to test it against some of my US mids. . .and then had a round 2 against a few US putters

Round 1. . SOL vs US Mids

The Mids rated from most stable to most US.
750 M4->Z COMET->Z METEOR->Z ARCHER

So all those discs are faster and "longer" than the SOL, and as far as understability i would place the SOL between the METEOR and ARCHER and i would rate the SOL 4, 4, -2, 0,5

The flight is very nice and "flat" for an US mid, the ARCHER flips up and turns right with the disc turning to the ground. . .the SOL more flips up and turns right but the disc more drifts right and stays flat and lands flat.
But as with most US disc you need to find the right "throw speed" , to much and its a roller, to little and it never turns
Speaking of rollers, i think the SOL works great for that. . the rim is very flat and that works great for rolling

Round2. . SOL vs US putters

The putters rated from most stable to most US. . .but all these are really close in stability

TUI->750 PA4->EVO MAGIC->FUZION DEPUTY

Now the SOL is faster than all the putters but it flies very similar to all of them, the SOL kind of feels like a "flat MAGIC" and flies like a longer DEPUTY

I took me some time to dial in how much power i could give the SOL but once i did i really like it, great feel and a nice controlled US flight. . it might make my bag

I finally got a round in with my 172 Z Sol. I need more time to evaluate but so far I would consider it a mini Meteor. I think I'm gonna like the Z a lot as a thrower but I am particularly interested in trying it in a jawbreaker blend. It could expand my putting range.

I never had the chance to check out the AR ESP but I am curious how it compares to the Z.

Had a few hours on the course with the Z SOL today.

Started to test it against some of my US mids. . .and then had a round 2 against a few US putters

Round 1. . SOL vs US Mids

The Mids rated from most stable to most US.
750 M4->Z COMET->Z METEOR->Z ARCHER

So all those discs are faster and "longer" than the SOL, and as far as understability i would place the SOL between the METEOR and ARCHER and i would rate the SOL 4, 4, -2, 0,5

The flight is very nice and "flat" for an US mid, the ARCHER flips up and turns right with the disc turning to the ground. . .the SOL more flips up and turns right but the disc more drifts right and stays flat and lands flat.
But as with most US disc you need to find the right "throw speed" , to much and its a roller, to little and it never turns
Speaking of rollers, i think the SOL works great for that. . the rim is very flat and that works great for rolling

Round2. . SOL vs US putters

The putters rated from most stable to most US. . .but all these are really close in stability

TUI->750 PA4->EVO MAGIC->FUZION DEPUTY

Now the SOL is faster than all the putters but it flies very similar to all of them, the SOL kind of feels like a "flat MAGIC" and flies like a longer DEPUTY

I took me some time to dial in how much power i could give the SOL but once i did i really like it, great feel and a nice controlled US flight. . it might make my bag

So it's basically a tweener like the Zone, but a Zone SSSS? How does it feel for putting, if you've tried it for that?

Zone US or mini Meteor sounds about right.. .
for putting it´s close to a Deputy. . I´m not use to puttiing with Z plastics, but if the SOL ever gets out in JB that might work better

So I bit the bullet and bought one of these first run Z's. it feels like a zone, flies like a beat in comet, but less distance, but is smaller diameter.

Exactly how the zone is kind of a tweener putter/mid. If you give the sol some hyzer it flips up real nice, and If you put more power on it, it will hold the turnover and land flat. Interesting Disc.

Baby comet living in a zone shaped body? That's my take anyways!

Sounds like a good option similar to a Star Mirage. Mirage is nice and flippy, very long for a putter but does not quite encroach on mids. Bit of an odd profile though so I imagine a Zone SSS would be more comfy.

2c

Sounds like a good option similar to a Star Mirage. Mirage is nice and flippy, very long for a putter but does not quite encroach on mids. Bit of an odd profile though so I imagine a Zone SSS would be more comfy.

2c

Similar flight but very different feel. . The SOL is not quite as US as the MIRAGE

Really starting to like the SOL, it´s in my bag now. . US but still easy to control

I really liked the ESP run that they had for the Ace Race. Hope they release it in other plastic. Not the biggest fan of Z for mids.

I tried Sol indoors today, it was a bit touchy BH but very controllable FH. I think I've got enough use for it to end up in my bag.

I really liked the ESP run that they had for the Ace Race. Hope they release it in other plastic. Not the biggest fan of Z for mids.
I've been using an Ace Race one as a touch turnover approach disc, so I'm hoping the Z doesn't make it more overstable like Z tends to do.

Hopefully we will see a selection of plastics soon. Last year, the Sting was available in four different blends pretty quickly but the Paul McBeth fanfare may slow that down.

I picked up a Z Sol and threw it around this weekend, initial returns are positive. The Z Sols I saw were all quite a bit domier than the Ace Race versions. I was able to turn it at slow speeds without it hyzering back, so it was working for the touch turnover approach shots I wanted to get out of it.

My Z SOL flies very very similar to a Mako for me. Less stable than my Truth, more stable than my Warrant.

Latest posts