• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Star Aero

chain-addicted

Banned
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I got a Star Aero last night and was wondering if anybody else here throws one for approach shots, or even putts with one.

Do you own one? If so tell me your thoughts on this disc.

I have a Champ Aero. I don't throw it, just keep it in the "extra bag".
I found that it was unpredictable...

Lots of differing views on the Aero around here.
It's a great all-around disc. I use it when playing a one-disc challenge.
However, it doesn't do any one thing particularly well for me.
I have a couple of Star Aeros, but I don't use them in my main bag.

My 9-year old bought me one for my birthday and I don't know what to do with it. I guess I have to keep it since it's from my daughter, but do I actually have to throw it?

My 9-year old bought me one for my birthday and I don't know what to do with it. I guess I have to keep it since it's from my daughter, but do I actually have to throw it?

Yes, yes you should throw it. One of my buddies loves the Aero, he uses it for approaches, and longer putts. You might like it, you never know.

Yes, you have to throw it; especially when that little girl is out with you on the DG course. Then tell her it's a great disc and how much you love it.
No other witty advice.

the main thing that the Aero brings to the table is it's intense glide! This can be a very good thing if you are able to put it on the proper line, without flipping it. Given a nice medium-power throw, the Aero will sail and sail forever in a perfectly straight line.

I have been reluctant to use mine as much recently due to a few things. First, this disc flips like crazy. This might be useful if you can lock it in to the anny line you want, but it prevents longer straight shots that might be accomplished with a Mako. Second, the Aero is almost completely at the mercy of the wind. Headwind putting is iffy at best, and a small headwind will flip it right over. Finally, its larger diameter and domed top throw me off a bit.

I have largely replaced it with my Omega SuperSoft and my Cobra. It's cool throwing old school, but there is a reason that newer technology sells better.

The best anhyzer approach disc around in my opinion. Throw it to a point (apex) with annie and watch it glide around the corner. The best part is they way they stick, at least for the DX ones (never thrown Champ or Star). It's my approach disc of choice for a sidehill pin, even over my Aviar.

Yes, yes you should throw it. One of my buddies loves the Aero, he uses it for approaches, and longer putts. You might like it, you never know.

Thats what I'm thinkin' bikin'....

I traded a champ Panther to my bro-in-law for it because I already have a champ Panther and I just wanted to try a new disc for my approaches. I dont think I will EVER use it (Star Aero) as a putter (due to the fact that my main go-to putter is a red Wizard SSS :D) but I do wanna see how it is for approach shots. I currently use my beat-in Pro-Rhyno for approaches but just thought I would start this thread to get some positive or negative input from other folks on here who have used one, to see if I should even put it in the bag.

My bro-in-law used it ALL the time for approaches from about 130 feet and on in, but he couldnt hit the broad side of a barn door with that thing. I almost felt sorry for him when seeing him constantly missing putts and getting lousy approaches with it, so if anything I did him a favor for taking it off his hands and giving him that Panther.

I used to throw Aeros for my putters until one day when I went to the disc store, I thought I was grabbing another Aero when in actuality it was an Aviar and well, you know, that is when my passion for Avairs started. Anyway though, I did learn to putt with the Aero and actually still have it. Might have to get that out and see what it can do for me in regards to approach shots.

Latest posts