• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Valkyrie, a discussion.........

My Valk story

The one and only valkyrie I bag, came to me in a wild way.
In 2013-14 I was playing the College of the Redwoods course (now extinct; RIP), on the 18th hole there were redwood trees on the right side, with the first branches 40-50 feet off the ground, as redwood trees like to do.
I threw an errant drive up and to the right, in to said branches. My red disc disappeared into the lowest hanging branches, and at the same time, what I thought was a red disc popped out of the branches. When I got to what I thought was my disc, I found a new pink valkyrie on the ground. Not the disc I threw, I look up and there's my disc in the branches.
I had knocked a random disc out of a tree 50 feet in the air! When I called the number and explained how I found their disc they said to keep it. I still have that disc and bag it to this day.

That could be true but I don't think they glide like a Sidewinder. I go back and forth on which one to bag but right now it's Pro Valk for turn and Champ Valk for stable. I like the Valk grip more.
It's probably hit or miss depending on how you throw. For a long time there every other driver that Innova put out was kinda in that Valk ballpark, and the less stable ones like a Sidewinder or Roadrunner I just could never click with. The glide was never there for me. It wasn't until the Pro Starfire/Star SL that there was a driver that was longer for me than the Valk.

It's probably hit or miss depending on how you throw. For a long time there every other driver that Innova put out was kinda in that Valk ballpark, and the less stable ones like a Sidewinder or Roadrunner I just could never click with. The glide was never there for me. It wasn't until the Pro Starfire/Star SL that there was a driver that was longer for me than the Valk.

Definitely hit or miss. I've gotten more D with the Sidewinder but it doesn't feel as good in the hand as the Valk. And I can get my Pro Valk to do that sweet, slow drifting turn with almost no fade. Released flat the Sidewinder wants to turn more but then still fades back substantially and overall needs more space to do its thing. Maybe with more of a beating it will do the slow, subtle drift because it does hyzer flip to dead straight already. That would be sweet b/c I want that extra D. I know, I know that's what she said.

Initial run with the champ is positive. Parked a well-treed par 3 that's right at 300ft or so and got out with a birdie. I'm shaping all the same shots as the Ti Avenger SS.

I lost my valk. Purchased it on a whim, and went straight in the bag. It was a flat champ that was 175g. Straight kind of stable. Like a mellow thunderbird. I'm looking to replace it. How does dome affect flight? I'm seeing several domy and flat ones online.

Flat ones have less glide and often high wing (more stability)

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

I lost my valk. Purchased it on a whim, and went straight in the bag. It was a flat champ that was 175g. Straight kind of stable. Like a mellow thunderbird. I'm looking to replace it. How does dome affect flight? I'm seeing several domy and flat ones online.

Dome will often give you more glide and distance (up to a point if the dome is too big it can slow it down too much). Generally a little more fade as well. Given that the disc has more time to stay in the air, it's LSS has time to kick in.

Domey discs will also be more forgiving, less likely to turn as much, get squirrelly. Be more predictable.

In general, dome is good for most drivers. OS drivers you can get away with not having dome, like a Firebird for instance.

Now when you say it was flat, it just might not be board flat either. It might have had a shallow dome. Shallow dome is fine. I wouldn't want a board flat Valk or Wraith or other distance driver.

Over the years I've noticed domey Pros are more overstable than flat ones, but my Stars and Champs have been across the board. Last week I threw a brand new jollylauncher Champ I had in storage and it wasn't nearly as stable/overstable as I expected. Felt like beef in the hand all this time but nope.

YMMV, I'd say buy whichever feels more comfortable to you and roll with the punches. FWIW I've owned and thrown over 30 from CE to DX.

Dome will often give you more glide and distance (up to a point if the dome is too big it can slow it down too much). Generally a little more fade as well. Given that the disc has more time to stay in the air, it's LSS has time to kick in.

Domey discs will also be more forgiving, less likely to turn as much, get squirrelly. Be more predictable.

In general, dome is good for most drivers. OS drivers you can get away with not having dome, like a Firebird for instance.

Now when you say it was flat, it just might not be board flat either. It might have had a shallow dome. Shallow dome is fine. I wouldn't want a board flat Valk or Wraith or other distance driver.

It was board flat

It was board flat
There are some general conventions about what a flat driver flies like, and the Valk really doesn't follow them. Valks are...Valks. :| There is a lot of trial and error with them; about one in five is a complete dud. The other four will fly nice enough for you to put up with it.

All of the CE and 4X JK Valks I had were flat and they were not super beefy. They did have some healthy fade at the end, but they were not meathooks or anything. I used to get some nice drives with them.

I've had two meathook Valks that straight-up flew like Firebirds, but neither of them were flat. One was Star and one was Champ. I've looked at them several times trying to figure out parting line or dome or wing shape or SOMETHING as the tip off; I got nothing. They just look like a Valk and fly like a Firebird.

So I got nothing. Buy a flat one and roll the dice? You have a pretty good chance of getting what you want.

I picked up a couple of 2021 JK Wispy Wheel Champ Valkyrie from OTB Discs recently.. Both have a very slight dome. 170 gram weight.

They fly like the ratings, but when I look at the bottom of the disc, they are only stamped made in the USA, with no Innova markings / embossing. Not sure what's up with that.

Anyone else in love with the halo valks? I am surprised how far they go with much less lateral movement than champs.

Anyone else in love with the halo valks? I am surprised how far they go with much less lateral movement than champs.

I was about to buy one off eBay. Hoping it would fly like a Viking.

I was about to buy one off eBay. Hoping it would fly like a Viking.

9 speeds are my favorite discs. If I stopped my bag there I doubt I would lose any strokes.

I've never thrown a Viking but used to bag CD2s for my 9 speed slot. They were nice because you could find beefy and flippy ones. Then I fell in love with PDs and now use them and valks to cover 9 speed stabilities.

There was a little more gap than I liked between my beat C PD and my domey Champ valk. I tried the halo and it is my new favorite. Absolutely bombs on much tighter lines. I find myself reaching for it on throws where my star wraith may flip over on me and my champ wraith may have too much finish. I don't think I really lose any distance with it in that situation. Turns some at my power but mostly just pushes straight eating up distance.