• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things that DGers do, but Why???

Mr. Anderson

Eagle Member
The first thing that I see many Disc Golfers do, but why??

Go heel to toe three times to measure out a meter. Good attempt at being accurate but I'm sure it is not. Drop your mini down "close enough", without the extra effort. If someone has a meter stick with them they can say something.

The Second thing I see..

Using a mini when it doesn't matter. 5-foot putt? Make sure you bend over twice as much because of "habit". Way to stick with your (meaningless) routine... from 5 feet.

Have any more?

Thanks for playing.

This is the one that I always notice:

The disc is under the basket, maybe he missed his putt, and the guy drops a mini in front of the disc, then picks up the disc and drops it in and then picks up his mini.
Why not just take another disc, drop it in the basket, then pick up the parked disc. Why would you bend over twice?

My own musings on DG life...

Go heel to toe three times to measure out a meter. Good attempt at being accurate but I'm sure it is not. Drop your mini down "close enough", without the extra effort. If someone has a meter stick with them they can say something.

I do 3 1/2 shoes. Because I measured it against a meter tape, once.

But only if that last little bit matters. Most of the time it doesn't, and I just estimate it, as many people do.

Why? Because pushing it, and letting someone object if they want to, is not in the spirit of rules compliance or a self-officiated game. People stepping it off are demonstrating compliance, even if they're doing it inaccurately and shorting themselves a little, so as to not put their opponents in that awkward position.

P.S. I have a meter tape with me, when I play. A company was handing out tiny measuring tapes, only 1 meter long, as a promotion. I thought, how useless.....to anyone but me. I've never used it---other than the aforementioned measuring of my shoes---but if there's ever a dispute in my group, I've still got it.

The three-shoe step-off seems so ubiquitous, there must be an origin story behind it.

Putting with two discs in hand

Throwing up grass at the slightest breeze detectable by human senses

Bag 25 discs and throw 4

Not review the course you just drove 2 hours to, after using a crowd sourced site to find it and making your decision based on the reviews.

I could go on and on. Interesting bunch, disc golfers.

it helps to play occasional rounds with normies from an outsider prospective having a cart that costs 300 to lug around 30 discs is a little excessive in multiple ways

bonus points for using a stool on every hole because its so exhausting throwing frisbees

If I'm not using my cart I carry a 12 disc Innova bag and a stool. I put my bag on my stool every time I throw. Saves on the back and I'm old.

Since Stork at 6' 6" was the 2-meter man, his pace or 3 of his shoes might also be one meter?

"Step". A "pace" is right heel strike to right heel strike.

(Before anyone quotes some website that says differently, those websites are just wrong. Probably promulgated by pistol duelists with bad aim.)

Shoes that are 13 1/8th inches long sounds plausible.

I dislike the "three shoes" lore, because it's not the rule and it has a weird effect on new female players who learn the "rules" from the guy or guys who introduced them to the sport. I am constantly telling new female players that they're entitled to a meter -- 39.37 inches -- relief, which is almost always at least four of their shoes, not three.

Even I take more than three shoes, and I"m 6'4" (1,93m) tall with a womens' size 14 US shoe (46,5 EUR). My foot is almost a foot long, and is a foot long in most athletic shoes. I take three shoes and a mini.

One thing that has always been odd to me is the way that it seems anyone who has been discing over a year or two seems to assume that they know more than whoever they are playing with.

Happens to me a lot when I'm playing and I'm a good player. Like I'll park a a 350 FH and an older player who has been playing 3 years was all, "oh yeah I used to throw a ton of forehands when I started playing. But I've really evolved my game and throw a turnover on that shot now".

Okay man, I've been playing longer than you... and you left your shot 100ft short. So maybe climb down off your high horse.

I just read NovaPs post and another thing that gets me is players automatically assuming they know more than women players. Or have to explain something that they already know, but are too polite to tell them to buzz off.

I've seen a dude try to explain an X step to a highly rated female player when he was rated like 840 too many times.

I just read NovaPs post and another thing that gets me is players automatically assuming they know more than women players. Or have to explain something that they already know, but are too polite to tell them to buzz off.

I've seen a dude try to explain an X step to a highly rated female player when he was rated like 840 too many times.

and oppression like that prevents "females" from frolfing

or they get hit on from the start and sexualized

"omf a female that dg she must be so wonderful and perfect"

The throwing up grass/leaves always gets me.

Like, don't your skin and eyes work? You can't feel the wind? Or see the movement of the trees and grass?

There's a reason they call twelve inches a foot. The foot is a close measure of 12 inches. Indeed, IIRC, a foot was determined by the size of some royal's foot, however it was at the time. Woe be to the guy who purchased forty feet of rope when the royal had short feet, and then found said royal had died, raising up someone who had long feet. Somewhere in there the peasants realized that God hadn't really made the royals, or their feet, special, so they codified the whole foot thing.

I grew up fishing with my dad. Day one, he took a ruler and measured the length of from the tip of my thumb to the tip of my pinky (stretched wide). He said, "see how that is almost nine inches? That is the size of a legal fish. If it comes out of the water you hold your hand up and wa la, you know whether it goes back, or in the creel."

My size nines are 11 inches. FYI, size nine seems to be a very common size, they are always the hardest to find in the shoe store. Either that, or it's so uncommon that the stores don't stock them?

People do the things they do because they build a routine. Why do the call Chris Dickerson the robot? And by the way, it seems to work. All the top players have routines. Look at Conrad. Look at Sexton. This isn't hard.

As for semi-rookies thinking they know more. That seems to be a human condition. I've seen too many politicians, businesspersons, academicians and family persons do this to think it has anything to do with disc golf.

Latest posts