• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This happened in Bowling Green on Sunday 2/24/13.

Looks like a pretty easy forehand with something like a zone going over/around the trees on the left without going ob in the pond. Probably an easier backhand but the shot selection alone shouldn't determine the safety on that hole.

Just FYI a ton of people fish in that spot the guy got hit in, so yes shot selection does kind of affect bystander safety.

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty easy forehand with something like a zone going over/around the trees on the left without going ob in the pond. Probably an easier backhand but the shot selection alone shouldn't determine the safety on that hole.

The trees aren't even there anymore, so it's a super easy forehand shot, but if you can't control it with a bystander, don't risk it.

The trees aren't even there anymore, so it's a super easy forehand shot, but if you can't control it with a bystander, don't risk it.

Agreed but you can't have holes like this in public parks without leaving too much possibility for these type of situations. This pin is too close to an area frequently used for fishing based on the little bit of info we have. You can't eliminate all risks but they need to be minimized if you want parks and disc golf courses to coexist.

This is a strange, compelling story, but was probably avoidable.

I'm of two minds here. In a casual round situation, I feel like there's more responsibility on the group/thrower to take the proper safety concerns. On local courses where other park activites come into play, I'll skip a hole rather than risk hitting someone, or going through the ordeal of trying to explain the game, what i'm doing there, could you please move, etc. Slightly different is, say, some tool standing by a basket with no other park stuff around, staring at me standing on the tee like I've got a d*** growing out of my forehead. In that case, I'll ask them to move and explain I'm throwing something that way. Hornet's Nest 7 is classic, with 2 picnic areas just off the fairway to the right. Solo round, Labor day weekend, and a huge family reuinion/bar-b-q going on, I'll defer to the planned event (skip the hole, or go putter/putter/putter or something.) Carolina Clash, and some dork parks his car on the left edge of same fairway (not a parking spot,) I'll do due diligence to try to give the guy a heads up (or the TD will,) but I'm playing the hole as I see fit. Bad example, maybe, since it's car vs. face. But I can't imagine a scenario where I intentionally throw into any clueless park goer.

In a tourney, there's more responsibility to spread around, IMO. If this hole is a known safety concern, maybe the TD could've done more w/r/t signage, etc? Not to throw any TD under the bus, here, in all seriousness, maybe this responsibility is also Parks/Rec? Also, safety should at times affect shot selection, but less so, I think, in a competitive situation.

When there's already a planned, scheduled event in the park, it's as much (in this case) about the fishermen respecting other park goers as it is the throwers. If properly informed that a golf tourney was going on, the guy should at least accept the risk of getting struck, or find something else to do. There's a fine line between being a victim of an errant throw, and willfully putting one's self in the situation, looking for the confrontation. I'm a tad suspicious of this here, since the OP, or somebody on the scene, posted that this Russian is a regular fisherman there, and has likely had DG issues in the past.

That being said, getting hit in the face, at any time, by anything, is instantly infuriating, so I understand the Russian's rage here. Especially if the player(s) handled the situation badly. It's hard to be a Judge Judy here, since I don't really know how this went down, how the players handled it, how serious the "assault" was, etc.

Still, if it was me, and the guy really did come after me, swinging and talking about shooting me dead, I'm defending myself, hard and dirty, then pressing charges.

I'd have pressed charges for his assault on the player. Unless the thrower was unapologetic that guy had every right to be mad, but no right to commit assault.

how does the guy who punched the other have the right? I truly would like you to explain your reasoning to me.

Your fishing next to an established disc golf course. of which typically has signs warning of flying discs (Park District should have these and if they don't I could see a lawsuit against them). So he is knowingly, even if he is ignorant to the sport, fishing in an area with flying discs. If anything the player that got punched has every right to charge the guy for assault for punching him.

how does the guy who punched the other have the right? I truly would like you to explain your reasoning to me.

Your fishing next to an established disc golf course. of which typically has signs warning of flying discs (Park District should have these and if they don't I could see a lawsuit against them). So he is knowingly, even if he is ignorant to the sport, fishing in an area with flying discs. If anything the player that got punched has every right to charge the guy for assault for punching him.

Read the part you quoted again, you just agreed with what you quoted. :hfive:

that sucks. i'm always stupid careful to not hit anyone, even walking up the whole hole to warn someone.

There are also plenty of spots on the lake to fish that aren't right next to a hole. Either way, the player didn't hit the fisherman back so that was good.

Course design, TD and Park all share some blame. Looking at that tee sign you have to know somebody is going to throw a FH that fades out down there.

Maybe they could make it a roller only hole. Then they would just annoy people, and not wound them.

This has been said before, but the blame here falls on Parks and Rec. I assume the TD, especially for as big as this event was, had to pay for a permit to use the property. In the agreement for the permit, there is usually legal verbiage stating what is the responisbility of Parks and Rec.

i can only speak on this because I just got a permit for my Birdie Bash. It's at a small course that gets a fair amount of traffic on the weekends. The permit cost 150 bucks, and luckily my local Parks and Rec is going above and beyond for us. They are mowing the fairways, moving the baskets to our preferred positions, emptying the trash cans the morning of AND after the event, and have agreed to post signs (that I will provide) on every hole as well as at the beggining of the course stating there is a pre-reserved Disc Golf Event going on that day. The course will not be closed for us, but they did allow us to put on the signs that players should respect the event and try not to interfere.

So our Parks and Rec is awesome. But part of that 150 dollars is to pay for Parks and Rec insurance. There is a jogging trail going through the course...in the event that a jogger gets struck with a disc (God forbid!) Parks and Rec will handle the situation..it says so expressly on the permit.

I can't say so for every parks and rec department, because I've played Tourneys with less than ideal conditions...including one with a freaking cross-country meet going through the middle of the front nine! But in this case, for a bigger event with a paid permit, a Parks and Rec employee should at least be wandering the course, keeping mischief to a minimum and politely warning other park-goers of what is transpiring.

This is about all I have for you... a comment on the post from local Josh Dobelstein. Josh is a pretty big guy.

"Kenneth wicked forehand into 400lb crazy russian's face while he was fishing, breaking his sun glasses....he was twice my size and VERY upset. I blame it entirely on the tournament director for not posting "no fishing signs or no forehands into HUGE russian bears while they are fishing signs" Just kidding, thanks Shawn Sinclair!!"

We were practicing before the start of the 2nd round. The thrower was on hole three which is the hole that we were to start on. I was walking up from hole two basket and was about 30' from the tee when I saw the shot take off. It was a rh forehand shot and when he released it, I thought "that is so wet". I then saw the two men fishing and I knew there was going to be a chance for someone to be hit. I couldn't see the actual hit to the eye because there were alot of trees down the line of the lake but there was an immediate response from the "russian" dude that got hit (rdtgh). The thrower waived his arm and yelled fore but they couldn't have seen the wave and I barely heard fore myself. The rdtgh began cussing and walking down the fairway. I remained stopped about 30' short of the tee. The main thing he was saying was for the thrower to stay right there. The thrower was apologizing quite a bit at this time. When the rdtgh arrived at the thrower, I knew he was going to get hit. The rdtgh said the disc broke his glasses and hit him in his eye. He then hit the thrower. It looked kind of like a powerful smack to me but it rocked the throwers head who never raised his arms in any defensive way before or after the hit/slap. The thrower kept explaining his actions and apologizing but the rdtgh would have none of it. As the rdtgh began walking away, he stopped and said "you want me to call police for you?" The other two guys in our group had heard the commotion and were now arriving on the tee. They suggested the thrower call the police. I saw the rdtgh sitiing down at his fishing spot with his head bent over and his hand to his eye. I threw a rhbh putter warm up shot and it was right there for duece. I walked down there and threw a few putts. I then very calmly approached the two gentlemen and said "I know you guys have a right to fish here but I want to let you know that there is a disc golf tournament here today and there will be alot of people throwing on this hole". The rdtgh remained seated on the ground but quickly began cussing and saying how the frisbee hit him in the eye and if any of our frisbees land in a certain area around him (he drew an imaginary line with his hand) he would go home, get his gun and come back and shoot us. Just then, golfer #3 arrives and says how that statement was terroristic threatening. The rdtgh immediately jumps up and gets in golfer #3's face and cussing about how he got hit with a frisbee. Golfer #3 backs up and walks back to the thrower and has him call police. The rdtgh begins calling police. I throw 4 more putts and calmly walk back to the tee as I hear both calls to police going on simultaneously. Golfer #3 walks to the TD to tell him of the situation as the tee off horn sounds. The group behind us is on hole one. The two fisherman had no plans on relocating so we decided to wait on the TD instead of teeing off. The TD arrives just before the police and was made aware of the situation. The police talked to all parties involved separately. The head guy of county parks was called out. No charges were to be filed from the thrower. The TD had us skip hole 3 and start on 4 just before the group behind us came walking up. The TD redirected everyone around hole 3until the situation was resolved. Groups that skipped the hole had to go back and play it as their last hole. It didn't seem like the rdtgh was loud or irrate during conversations with authorities. I guess they banned him from the park for life and that is the last I heard about it. The rdtgh's elderly fishing partner never said a word and kept fishing the whole time.
Needless to say, it made for a shakey start to our round!

5 or 6 years ago I was playing the weekly Greenville SC club doubles when a dg'er got shot in the face by a BB gun from the crazy guy up on the hill where the old #15 was. Since I was not from there it really shocked me but after stories from locals this seemed consistent for the crazy guy's behavior. The 7 years I spent in collections years ago I learned the people that threaten others usually do not have the guts to do anything. The quiet one's were the ones that made me nervous but nowadays people are a lot more crazy it seems.

Last edited:
I don't know how it's the Park and Rec Dept's fault. In ball golf if you hit anything with your shot you are responsible. If this guy would not have thrown the shot the fisherman would not have been hit by his disc. The thrower and thrower alone is solely responsible, not matter whether the fisherman was warned or not. Not saying that things could have not been better planned by EVERYONE involved (TD, Parks, thrower, etc.), but it was the action of the thrower that is to blame. In fact the Russian guy could easily sue the thrower and have a legit case. He would have his own trouble because he punched the thrower, but his punching does not change the initial assault with the disc.

Latest posts