• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This is why I like private courses

At every P2P course I have ever played, I've heard the same thing. "It keeps the riff raff out". I, too, can't take the hordes of new golfers on public courses. They don't know the rules, they are clueless about golf etiquette, and too many of them are obnoxious, rude and very disrespectful, especially towards older players (I'm 62). I want a course where I don't have to deal with jerks, and I'm willing to pay for it. How much? Depends on the course. I think $5 to play Rollin Ridge is a steal, but some p2p courses I wouldn't pay a nickel to play. It all depends how much effort a course owner is willing to put into his course. If you build it, they WILL come, but will they come back again?

why is that if you don't mind sharing? I think you were on to something vs being on something.

I was hoping to get Milwaukee, 3 Rivers and The Valley/Kaposia to join. However, after careful consideration, they choose not to.

The reasons seem to be:

1) They are getting enough players without it, and any extra income would probably not be worth the added complication of another pass option.

2) There is always at least one staff member who can't get past "somebody else making money off of MY course" (without the vision to see how they are making money off of, not only other people's courses, but also the synergy of a multi-course pass, and the more attractive price point of a monthly pass).

I'm too busy putting in new courses for it to be worth my time to maintain the pass at only last year's levels. I will revisit it this winter.

So, as a course owner in Maine I may be able to answer a few questions as why Maine courses survive on Pay to Play.

1. We take pride in our courses and try to offer something for the almost everyday disc golfer. We offer trash cans, pick up trash, clean T-pads, and have interesting designs.

2. People in Maine love to go outside as my nephew from Florida observed and we have a lot of disc golfers, it's been around here for close to say 20 years.

3.We put the money back into the course, startup alone can be over $50k. baskets, parking lots, T-Pads, with Rubber mats, woodchips etc...
4. Operating costs... porta potty, 115$ a month, taxes, $3k plus per year, insurance $700 per year, scorecards, pencils etc.. are not cheap to run. So when someone shows up with a six pack of beer a pack of smokes and says $5 to play, we say yes, and that's for an entire day of enjoying the great outdoors while we continue to groom the course for you to enjoy.

5. You don't have to have someone always available, an honor box, with video camera, keeps 95% of the people honest. The other 5% or less probably weren't going to pay anyway. The true disc golfers that come to your place appreciate what we offer them and help to look out for you.

and last but not least we are good people so the next time you up this way come on over and enjoy one of the very many great places Maine like many other states has to offer for just five bucks.