• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts on Resellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Resellers get to pick only the biggest, ripest fruit. The manufacturers have to care for the whole tree, otherwise those nice juicy plums won't exist to be plucked.

The manufacturers are trying to grow their overall revenue, not maximize Firebird/Halo Destroyer, etc. profitability. And they need to do it in a way that maximizes the possibility that revenue will continue to grow over the long haul. Could they charge $100 per Nate Sexton Firebird and sell them all? Maybe. Would that be the best move for them? Unlikely. It would most likely be a long remembered negative for their reputation, and earning 5x more Sexy Bird revenue for 2021 isn't worth that.

And thus you have a big gap between the retail price and the market price. Resellers are then inevitable, no matter how hard you try to prevent it. The complaint in the OP basically just amounts to "how do you prevent the inevitable?"

While this may be true from a capitalistic perspective and indoctrination of one's thinking, it is actually not an inherent truth no matter how hard your assert the position that it is.

Resellers get to pick only the biggest, ripest fruit. The manufacturers have to care for the whole tree, otherwise those nice juicy plums won't exist to be plucked.

The manufacturers are trying to grow their overall revenue, not maximize Firebird/Halo Destroyer, etc. profitability. And they need to do it in a way that maximizes the possibility that revenue will continue to grow over the long haul. Could they charge $100 per Nate Sexton Firebird and sell them all? Maybe. Would that be the best move for them? Unlikely. It would most likely be a long remembered negative for their reputation, and earning 5x more Sexy Bird revenue for 2021 isn't worth that.

And thus you have a big gap between the retail price and the market price. Resellers are then inevitable, no matter how hard you try to prevent it. The complaint in the OP basically just amounts to "how do you prevent the inevitable?"

Honestly, I think signature discs are kind of lame.

I'd take a classic Star Destroyer over a Ricky MacMahon Lizotte signature one anyday.

Your namesake died a drunk coward's death.

Pretty fitting.

Well, at least Neal died doing what he loved. You'll die bitter, alone and with a sub-par disc golf average.

By the way, still waiting on the DM big guy ;)

Not even in the same state as the ballpark, friend.

However, that post did make me chuckle. So thanks for that.

Happy to bring a =)...and since you are not demon spawn then I can conclude you just may be A okay. Frisbees for all and to all a good night!

Not even in the same state as the ballpark, friend.

However, that post did make me chuckle. So thanks for that.

Plus I just realized you are a left hander living in right handers world...talk about unseen privilege's huh!?

I've been having quite the difficult time finding certain plastics such as Really Freakin' Flexible with Gateway putters. I see one on eBay every once in awhile but they always end up costing like $40+ due to all the bidding. I've heard that a lot of disc companies production facilities are being ran by skeleton crews and they only release MAYBE 100 discs every so often. They get sent to the online retailers like 1010, Infinitediscs, etc but you got people who'll buy 10-20 discs at once then resell them on eBay for twice as much. I really wish the websites that sell discs would limit people to like 5 discs per week but I'm sure people would easily find a way around that. Just wondering what the DGC community thinks about this topic.

People say all sorts of stuff. People spread misinformation all the time. Usually without even knowing they themselves are misinformed... but sadly, sometimes specifically with malfeasance in mind.

I've heard people say the earth is flat.
Doesn't make it so.

Smart people consider the source of information. Not all sources have the same credibility. But hey, if you want to believe what the collective "they" say, be my guest.

I'm sure they get it right every once in a while.

Last edited:
While this may be true from a capitalistic perspective and indoctrination of one's thinking, it is actually not an inherent truth no matter how hard your assert the position that it is.

You want to debate economic systems and national cultures? I'm sure that can be done somewhere else, probably by someone else. This thread sure ain't the place for it.

But, accepting that we are talking about the USA in the current day, I'm fairly confident you can't figure out how to prevent a piece of plastic from being resold.

Sure, a seller could try to require, say, SSN and birthdate to actually limit sales to one person, but a) that's not realistic, b) it's a cure worse than the disease, from a customer satisfaction perspective, c) that still doesn't prevent resale, d) straw buyers are a thing.

You want to debate economic systems and national cultures? I'm sure that can be done somewhere else, probably by someone else. This thread sure ain't the place for it.

But, accepting that we are talking about the USA in the current day, I'm fairly confident you can't figure out how to prevent a piece of plastic from being resold.

Sure, a seller could try to require, say, SSN and birthdate to actually limit sales to one person, but a) that's not realistic, b) it's a cure worse than the disease, from a customer satisfaction perspective, c) that still doesn't prevent resale, d) straw buyers are a thing.

Gotz to get mines yo...haha done trollin for the night...love yall

No need to keep it private. Let me know when you're in the area to play Caesar Ford Golds, pal.

Will do. Will also post the video of said encounter here because you seem to have a lot of people who don't like you and would love to see your head through a disc golf basket.

I am seriously willing to oblige you in that department because unlike most of the docile disc golf crowd, I'm not very docile nor have I ever dabbled in pacifism :)

Status
Not open for further replies.