• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts on Tee Sign Design?

TheBeardedFatGuy

Birdie Member
I've been tasked with designing the tee sign graphics for a new course in my area and I'd like to hear any thoughts you have on what makes a good tee sign, and what you hate about a bad tee sign. Bear in mind, I have no control over the hardware, just the content of the signs themselves. I also have no control over some of my personal pet peeves, like the practice of moving baskets to alternate positions without updating the sign and flagging it somehow so those familiar with the course who no longer even look at the signs know something has changed. My main complaint about tee signs is they sometimes don't portray the position of obstacles, especially trees, accurately. You can't always see a number plaque on a basket (if there even is one) from the tee pad, and on a tightly designed course you're unfamiliar with it's very easy to misread a sign and throw for another hole's basket by mistake if you can't accurately read tree positions on the sign to locate your basket.

So. Tee Signs. Any thoughts?

IMO, a good tee sign tells you:
- hole #
- distance from the tee you're at
- general shape of the fairway/ direction of basket
- any possible water or OB in play

Nice touches would be:
+ net change in elevation (difference from tee to pin) is a nice plus on courses where elevation is a significant factor.
+ arrow showing direction from basket to next tee

On courses with multiple tees: overhead view showing relative position of both tees, with distance to pin(s) for that tee.

On courses with multiple pins: overhead view showing all possible placements + mechanism to show current placement or both pins if dual baskets.

I don't see the point in showing trees or stands of bushes or other obstacles signs that provide an overhead view (the scale is neigh impossible to get right, unless doing so provides good landmark to help indicate where the basket is.

No sign can take the place of walking the fairway to find the pin on a blind placement, but it can tell you how far to go and what direction you need to look.

Quite honestly, tee signs are really only useful to people playing the course for first few times, or if they haven't played that course in years. The only thing locals might need would be distances and current pin placement.

So think of what the first time player needs to know for that course.

Last edited:
The most important thing is there is ample room for me to draw a gentleman's sausage over it with permanent marker. :|

Par (hopefully accurate), distance to basket (effective length is great), fairway shape, direction to next tee are all great features. The only thing I consider really bad tee sign design is if the fairway shape isn't even close to accurate, so that you throw to the wrong basket or something. I think Houck's tees usually have multiple routes illustrated to reflect FH/turnover lines, hyzer lines, etc. That's a nice touch that can help you read the fairway better if you haven't played there before.

If you are ever in the St Louis area many of the courses use a small removeable bolt to mark where the basket is on alternate pin locations. I found this to be quite helpful.

The most important thing is there is ample room for me to draw a gentleman's sausage over it with permanent marker.
Anyone can draw some dirtbag's Johnson on the Tee sign. A true artiste enhances it with a tasteful rendering of a gentleman's sausage.

Perhaps a series of vignettes on the back 9, depicting the entire progression, from completely flacid, to fully erect, climax, and refractory period.

The posts above are fantastic. Nice bnm. Some of same stuff.

I believe middle of fairway tree depictions and suggested lines should not be on the sign. It is too busy looking and often is not done well or relevant. Stick with the boarders of the fairways and green.
Next tee arrow near the basket on sign. Super great if by the arrow an approximate feet away the next long teepad.
Bolts and holes are easy and classy for pin position indication.

Latest posts