• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Thrasher

I could get about the same distance with a Thrasher as I could with a Tern. The Tern is very slightly faster, but the Thrasher glides a bit better. Stability-wise they're very similar. Both will flip in headwinds or if you get too aggressive with torque.

My sentiments exactly with Tern lil faster Thrasher bit more glidey.

I'll eventually have to get another Thrasher. My one sample was much closer to a Renegade than a Tern.

I hear you. I have small sample size too (1 each) and my Thrasher is more understable than my Star Tern but the comparisons and other comments make me want to try another, maybe max weight Thrasher.

My thrasher is weird. It's a z plastic 173g. I don't get that super understable flight out of it. It is understandable but where most of my understable plastic has an arcing flight this bad boy just draws to the right in a straight line. I'm not saying that I don't like it. Maybe I need to season it more, not real domey either. A little heart but pretty flat over all

I won't say the Thrasher I have (big Z) is understable, but it does have high speed turn. Unless I really torqued hard it would hold a line pretty well. It wouldn't be my first choice for any type of headwind, even a breeze. Glidiest speed 11 driver I've ever seen though. Easy bombs with what felt like moderate/normal effort throws.

In the bag the Thrasher would take the place of a Surge, Tern, or even a Wraith.

Your welcome. It would pair well with a CD3, for your power level. CD2/CD3 are more OS and a bit shorter, Thrasher is more like a Champ Tern, that I can actually get a good grip on, almost all Champs either flip too much or not enough. The Star Terns flip too much, the Thrasher is the perfect middle ground between the domey and flat Champ Terns, kinda like a fresh Champ Sidewinder, only longer.

I'm looking forward to getting the Thrasher, S-CD3, C-CD3, S-DDx, C-DDx, S-Tern, and C-Terns (157g and 167g) out to the range for some comparison work. The Thrasher may win the "normal winds" driver spot, and I'll need a "windy weather" driver to pair it with. The C-line CD3 or DDx might win if the Champ Terns can't handle the headwinds. Should be fun throwing discs while finding out. :) :popcorn:

Hey SD86, how does the thrasher compare to your CD3? Is is noticeable longer? More under stable than the the CD3? I throw the CD2 and CD3 right now, but can often throw my CD2 nearly as far as the CD3 (maybe 20 ft less), so Im looking for something a little longer.

The winds from the last two days died down some. Today was sunny, a bit cold, and pretty windless with the occasional leaf-stirring breeze.

The Thrasher flew really well today. It definitely can have that -3,2 turn/fade, and did so on a number of throws. Also had a couple that turned over and kept on going anny.

The Thrasher definitely has great glide, and this helps distance. I'd say the Thrasher is very close to the Star Tern in distance when thrown properly. As to the CD3,I would say that when both discs are thrown correctly, The Thrasher's glide is going to give it that extra bit of distance.

The only issue I had was on a downhill throw. The Thrasher turned, was fading, and got caught up in the wind and stalled out. Part of that was me not getting the nose down more, but I also think a more OS disc is indicated on that hole. The Thrasher is a straight-to-understable disc, and fresh out of the box is not unlike a flippy Star Tern.

I'll keep bagging and working with the Thrasher...

What are the general distances you are comparing these discs at?

My old, noodle arm gets 300 ft. on flat ground, and maybe more on downhills with the correct wind conditions, with a Tern.

On the first hole at my home course, my Thrasher drive was pin high with the 309 ft. basket, but the throw had drifted right. On the 17th, which curves left around a lake, I was within the circle of where the front basket position is, which is 350 ft. It's a slight downhill, and the basket itself was in the back position, another 200 ft. into the woods.

The Big Zs I have have a little dome, and are more stable than my FR Z of the same weight. They have more HSS but the LSS seems about the same. They can even handle some good power with a FH too.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I haven't thrown a Thrasher, but I keep getting confused by the Surge comparisons. I've thrown a few Surges in different plastics but they have basically no high speed turn when I throw them with enough arm speed to get over 350'. Then it gets compared to a Tern, which I also love throwing but which needs to be hyzer flipped and I can get around 380', sometimes longer. Are there just a bunch of different Thrashers out there? Or did someone get a flippy Surge? Or did you mean Surge SS? :confused:

I haven't thrown a Thrasher, but I keep getting confused by the Surge comparisons. I've thrown a few Surges in different plastics but they have basically no high speed turn when I throw them with enough arm speed to get over 350'. Then it gets compared to a Tern, which I also love throwing but which needs to be hyzer flipped and I can get around 380', sometimes longer. Are there just a bunch of different Thrashers out there? Or did someone get a flippy Surge? Or did you mean Surge SS? :confused:

The Thrasher I have (big Z) is fairly similar to a Surge in flight. For me, ESP Surges have some high speed turn on hard, flat throws. The Thrasher glides better than the Surge and has less low speed fade. I easily get better distance with it.

I don't think a Thrasher is a ton like a Tern. The Tern is slighly flippier and maybe a bit longer than a Thrasher. I could use them for the same purpose on the course if I had to though.

The Thrasher I have (big Z) is fairly similar to a Surge in flight. For me, ESP Surges have some high speed turn on hard, flat throws. The Thrasher glides better than the Surge and has less low speed fade. I easily get better distance with it.

I don't think a Thrasher is a ton like a Tern. The Tern is slighly flippier and maybe a bit longer than a Thrasher. I could use them for the same purpose on the course if I had to though.

I don't know anything about Surges, haven't tried them, but I was throwing my new Z-Thrasher (166g) on the range with my Champion Terns (157g and 167g) and Star Tern (167g). The Star Tern has seen a lot of use.

My Thrasher was between the Star and Champ Terns in terms of turn and fade, and pretty similar to me, based on my limited sample size. The Star Tern was definitely longer, and the Thrasher was about the same distance as the 157g Champ Tern.

I don't know anything about Surges, haven't tried them, but I was throwing my new Z-Thrasher (166g) on the range with my Champion Terns (157g and 167g) and Star Tern (167g). The Star Tern has seen a lot of use.

My Thrasher was between the Star and Champ Terns in terms of turn and fade, and pretty similar to me, based on my limited sample size. The Star Tern was definitely longer, and the Thrasher was about the same distance as the 157g Champ Tern.

You probably wouldn't find much use in a Surge. At 300' power it won't do much but hyzer out. I like Terns, but found them a little too finicky to bag. The Shryke does everything a Tern does, but better and with a hair more stability.

At your power you might really dig a heavy Mamba. Those will drag every inch out of a low powered arm.

You probably wouldn't find much use in a Surge. At 300' power it won't do much but hyzer out. I like Terns, but found them a little too finicky to bag. The Shryke does everything a Tern does, but better and with a hair more stability.

At your power you might really dig a heavy Mamba. Those will drag every inch out of a low powered arm.

Agreed on all points.

I'm not intending to try a Surge. And for your arm, the Shryke will will be good. I've had trouble with the Shryke while Terns usually do me well, so I'll stick with the Terns.

I have four Mambas, two Star, two Champion. One of the Stars is deep red, the kind of red I can't find after I throw it. The other Star is 170g, light green, an F2 disc... and may well be the most overstable Mamba in the history of DG. Not a bad disc, but it just doesn't do Mamba things.

The Champ discs are 165g and one I found (with no ink to contact anyone) that is a full 175g. Both do Mamba things, and are (much) more understable than that Star Mamba I mentioned above. I'm working with the 165g now, comparing it to other US discs to see what works best on a hole on my home course that wants a big turnover shot (forehand would be okay, but if the turnover fades a bit at the end, that is better).

Agreed on all points.

I'm not intending to try a Surge. And for your arm, the Shryke will will be good. I've had trouble with the Shryke while Terns usually do me well, so I'll stick with the Terns.

I have four Mambas, two Star, two Champion. One of the Stars is deep red, the kind of red I can't find after I throw it. The other Star is 170g, light green, an F2 disc... and may well be the most overstable Mamba in the history of DG. Not a bad disc, but it just doesn't do Mamba things.

The Champ discs are 165g and one I found (with no ink to contact anyone) that is a full 175g. Both do Mamba things, and are (much) more understable than that Star Mamba I mentioned above. I'm working with the 165g now, comparing it to other US discs to see what works best on a hole on my home course that wants a big turnover shot (forehand would be okay, but if the turnover fades a bit at the end, that is better).

Yeah, I doubt you get much (if any) high speed turn out of a Thrasher. That disc can actually handle big rips pretty well.

You ever throw fast, understable stuff like the Nuke SS or Freedom? Those are other discs that will go a long way with softer throws. Every once in a while I can massacre a Nuke SS 450'+, but its a long, looping flight that is highly prone to disaster. Even from steep hyzer releases the Nuke SS and Freedom will flip for me.

One thing I DO like about the Mamba is it has a little low speed fade. It'll flip over initially, then usually work back a little late in flight. I simply have no use for fast, understable drivers that flip over and never even try to come back.

Yeah, I doubt you get much (if any) high speed turn out of a Thrasher. That disc can actually handle big rips pretty well.

You ever throw fast, understable stuff like the Nuke SS or Freedom? Those are other discs that will go a long way with softer throws. Every once in a while I can massacre a Nuke SS 450'+, but its a long, looping flight that is highly prone to disaster. Even from steep hyzer releases the Nuke SS and Freedom will flip for me.

One thing I DO like about the Mamba is it has a little low speed fade. It'll flip over initially, then usually work back a little late in flight. I simply have no use for fast, understable drivers that flip over and never even try to come back.

I do get some turn out of the Thrasher; I get pretty good snap with my arm and wrist to impart some spin on discs, which leads to them having expected flight patterns even though they don't go as far as faster arms throw them.

I've never tried a NukeSS, but I tried the Freedom when I first came out, and it was one of the most disappointing discs I've ever tried. My 174 (or so) Freedom is now a little better, but the 166g is flat and has a high PLH and is very stable relative to where it is supposed to be. Also, I'm moving away from those wide-rimmed discs, as they are not comfortable to throw and don't really get me anything the Tern is not giving me.

The Mamba is a good disc and I'm working with it right now. I am looking for an anny/turnover disc that will go to the right on an RHBH throw, and the Mamba may not be that disc. If it weren't raining right now, I'd be outside testing it with a few other discs.

The Mamba will go plenty right, but for me it has some late fade. If you want a disc to go right and stay right you might look at a Roadrunner or something. Maybe even a Queen or an UnLace. Both of those were unmanageable for me. All flip and zero low speed fade.

The Mamba will go plenty right, but for me it has some late fade. If you want a disc to go right and stay right you might look at a Roadrunner or something. Maybe even a Queen or an UnLace. Both of those were unmanageable for me. All flip and zero low speed fade.

When the weather clears up, I'm taking the Star and Champ Mambas, my Star Roadrunner, my GL Fury (very seasoned in), and my neutron Orbital to the range to see what they do for me. Winner gets to play every day as part of my bag, at least until they change the basket locations again...

Road Runner is what My brother uses for a end flight roller. A good disc though for most end flight Rollers, seen that disc used the most for that type of shot.

Road Runner is what My brother uses for a end flight roller. A good disc though for most end flight Rollers, seen that disc used the most for that type of shot.

I just posted on another thread, and will repeat here, that I use my Pink Panther for rollers, that I've gotten 370 ft. on level ground with it (and wish I could throw any disc that far through the air). The only problem is that on the hole that I'm thinking of, the grass is kept higher than that level field where I rolled the Panther so far and it's uphill most of the way. But it's an idea, and I appreciate you mentioning it...

Are the Z Flx coming out with some dome like the Big Z are? I've tried a regular Z and TI but the ones I've gotten are board flat and I'd like a little bit of dome

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Are the Z Flx coming out with some dome like the Big Z are? I've tried a regular Z and TI but the ones I've gotten are board flat and I'd like a little bit of dome

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Man, I bet a flat Ti Thrasher is a stubborn, overstable pig. My only Thrasher is a big Z and it has a huge dome. Glides great.

I actually found a Flx Z Heat today... reminds me a lot of a Thrasher. Little shorter and slower, but same flight characteristics.

Latest posts