• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Threw a disc golf disc for the first time today

raleightakara

New to disc golf. Lifetime ball golfer, but at almost 60 the back just won't take it anymore.
I went to my local disc golf course (Woodland Chains), found an unused field, and started throwing.
I had ordered the Innova starter pack online, but also purchased two Aviar Big Bead discs at my local Play it Again sports.
After throwing all of them, I settled on throwing the Big Beads, as they seemed to be easier to throw.
Wow. This is going to take some practice! I keep telling myself I sucked at ball golf when I started, too. It think my best backhand went about 100 feet, but it felt good and flew straight and level.
I am enjoying learning the game and reading all your posts and learning.
1e87fccf480c97e32a046e16600eccc5.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Awesome. Throwing putters at first is where just about everyone should start. Much like ball golf, less is more. The smoother you can throw, the better. No need to try and throw it hard. Flat and level and let the big muscles like your hips and torso do most of the work.

If you catch the bug, you'll be obsessing over disc choice and form in no time, but for right now just go out and enjoy throwing a piece of plastic at some chains!

Welcome to the addiction, how you have a ton of fun and keep playing!

One thing to remember...these aren't Frisbees. You have to throw them differently. Get a local player to show you or check out YouTube videos or some of the videos on this forum.

Welcome to the sport! Big bead aviars are fantastic.

Learning the proper grip and alignment is really important. As Bill Fleming mentioned, it's much different than throwing a beach frisbee. If you get the correct muscle memory from the start you will progress faster and probably have more fun. I'd recommend getting out there with those aviars and a hammer, and figure out how to sling the disc by whipping your lower arm. Not all that different from a ball golf swing

https://youtu.be/xpyaFqgyZbU

This is the best video I have found on the basics of throwing.

Anything more is just refinement.

Guess it's ok for the basics just be super careful with that starting a lawnmower motion. You don't ever ever ever want to be doing this during the disc golf throw

Starting a lawnmower is ok for feeling how the hips should power the arm, but you really want to be careful to not pull with your arm at all. It should be loose and powered by the lower body.