• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thro-Way > Mando (in many cases)

Cgkdisc

.:Hall of Fame Member:.
A Thro-Way is typically a vertical object with the characteristics of a Mando object where throwing on one side of it is the fairway to the basket. Throwing on the other side and continuing to the hole is allowed but you add a 1-stroke penalty to the number of throws you made to hole out. There are no Made or Missed lines nor Drop Zones that need to be marked, just a sign on the Thro-Way indicating which side is good and which side gets the 1-stroke penalty IF the player does not throw back around the Thro-way on the good side before completing the hole. Note: Including a Thro-Way in hole designs played in sanctioned events currently requires a Waiver from the PDGA.

The attached diagrams show the basic Thro-Way "Good (green)" and "Penalized (red)" routes and the type of sign the designer would mount on or near the Thro-Way to indicate the routes. Note that no lines must be marked on the ground. If the player lands to the left of the Thro-Way whether beyond it, short of it or say in the green foliage on the left, the player decides whether it's worth it to continue to the basket on that side and get the stroke penalty or to throw back around or to the right, respectively, so the sequence of their throws progresses completely to the right of the Thro-Way. They would avoid the penalty stroke but the throwback or the pitch to the right, respectively, would likely cost the player an extra stroke anyway. Regardless, it gives the player a choice of how to play it.

In the case where the player throws OB on their drive to the left of the Thro-Way, it's effectively a double penalty under current rules whether the player marks and continues play directly to the basket, decides to pitch back around the right to avoid the Thro-Way penalty or to Abandon their drive and be throwing their third shot from the tee. It's an argument for the Abandoned Throw to not include a penalty stroke but that's another thread.

Whether designing a Thro-Way or Mando, it's still advisable to place them close enough to the tee so players can see whether their throw passes on the correct side or not.

Attachments

• Thro-way Basic design.jpg
    Thro-way Basic design.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Throway Diagram.jpg
    Throway Diagram.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
A Thro-Way is typically a vertical object with the characteristics of a Mando object where throwing on one side of it is the fairway to the basket. Throwing on the other side and continuing to the hole is allowed but you add a 1-stroke penalty to the number of throws you made to hole out. There are no Made or Missed lines nor Drop Zones that need to be marked, just a sign on the Thro-Way indicating which side is good and which side gets the 1-stroke penalty IF the player does not throw back around the Thro-way on the good side before completing the hole. Note: Including a Thro-Way in hole designs played in sanctioned events currently requires a Waiver from the PDGA.

The attached diagrams show the basic Thro-Way "Good (green)" and "Penalized (red)" routes and the type of sign the designer would mount on or near the Thro-Way to indicate the routes. Note that no lines must be marked on the ground. If the player lands to the left of the Thro-Way whether beyond it, short of it or say in the green foliage on the left, the player decides whether it's worth it to continue to the basket on that side and get the stroke penalty or to throw back around or to the right, respectively, so the sequence of their throws progresses completely to the right of the Thro-Way. They would avoid the penalty stroke but the throwback or the pitch to the right, respectively, would likely cost the player an extra stroke anyway. Regardless, it gives the player a choice of how to play it.

In the case where the player throws OB on their drive to the left of the Thro-Way, it's effectively a double penalty under current rules whether the player marks and continues play directly to the basket, decides to pitch back around the right to avoid the Thro-Way penalty or to Abandon their drive and be throwing their third shot from the tee. It's an argument for the Abandoned Throw to not include a penalty stroke but that's another thread.

Whether designing a Thro-Way or Mando, it's still advisable to place them close enough to the tee so players can see whether their throw passes on the correct side or not.

that hole is nicknamed "suck-it lefties!"

That could be a way to slightly alter layouts for a tournament without moving baskets or anything. Just rotate the sign. Round 1 right side is safe, round 2 left side is safe.
Yes. I've designed holes on Steady Ed and The Bear with multiple route options off the tee where we've talked about adding a spinner by the tee where your group spins before teeing to indicate which route to throw, sort of a built-in Ript option for rec rounds.

I like this concept. Would really like to try this out in a league/tourney setting at some point.

I'm sure the 'DG needs to become Golf' apologists will stroke out when seeing this idea so it makes me like it even more.

I'm sure the 'DG needs to become Golf' apologists will stroke out when seeing this idea so it makes me like it even more.
Our Mando rule is already not ball-golf-like and more complex for marking and interpreting than the Thro-Way concept plus using them in place of Mandos speeds play in the same way our newer Hazard rule plays faster than OB.

Our Mando rule is already not ball-golf-like and more complex for marking and interpreting than the Thro-Way concept plus using them in place of Mandos speeds play in the same way our newer Hazard rule plays faster than OB.

Yes it would speed things up a bit - and might reduce confusion in some instances. Sort of surprises me how mandos can confuse some DG'ers haha. Are you aware of any real world examples of where this was used?

Yes it would speed things up a bit - and might reduce confusion in some instances. Sort of surprises me how mandos can confuse some DG'ers haha. Are you aware of any real world examples of where this was used?
Not that I'm aware of. It's a new hole design element to add challenge with less punishment than Mandos. They are easier to mark, simplify rulings/scoring and speed up play, especially as temp challenges on lighter foliage holes that could use more challenge for tournaments.

Not that I'm aware of. It's a new hole design element to add challenge with less punishment than Mandos as long as the bad side of the thro-way is nowhere near an OB. They are easier to mark, simplify rulings/scoring and speed up play, especially as temp challenges on lighter foliage holes that could use more challenge for tournaments.

ftfy

Originally Posted by Cgkdisc
Not that I'm aware of. It's a new hole design element to add challenge with less punishment than Mandos as long as the bad side of the thro-way is nowhere near an OB. They are easier to mark, simplify rulings/scoring and speed up play, especially as temp challenges on lighter foliage holes that could use more challenge for tournaments.

Araytx Quote:
ftfy

No need to fix it. If Thro-Way option ever made official, the rule would just award the player one penalty stroke and continue play from last point inbounds. Same as if the Thro-Way weren't there.

Latest posts