• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

throw down the mountain

I can't wait to leave this Rochester Cold Weather and play at Brooksville again!

I will be there in 42 hours.

Outside of Sexton, Climo and McCray I don't see many heavy hitters there.

Edit: dang Jerm.

Well this isn't a tour event or major so I wouldn't think most of the pro's on the west coast would fly in for it. I know one of the guys that's tied with Climo. Great player and was over 1000 last year or the year before. Good luck Jeff!

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Mcbeth and the guys playing the Aussie open aren't over there practicing already.

^ Its not even an Atier. So not surprising at all that its more of a regional crowd.

Exactly. I know the Am weekend seems to be 95% Florida players, and I suspect they're the bulk of the Pro weekend as well.

The magic of Throw Down the Mountain isn't the payouts, or the star players. It's the course and, to the non-Floridians, the weather.

yeah, I didn't play so hot last year (63/60), this year I was almost mistake free. Just developed a plan and executed it. got some good love along the way, and no Brooksville rollers.

What a great time, as usual. The flow this year was the best I've seen out of the 3 years of the tourney so far.

Saturday of Am weekend was my birthday and what better place to celebrate. I was happy with my performance both days but scoring a birdie 3 on hole 18 from long tee just seemed to make that post-round beer taste so damn good! :)

No triple-bogey+ blowups this year despite some nasty tourney rolls here and there. Hole 3 is still my nemesis and beat me up pretty good (6 & 5), but not like last year where I took an 8 and a 7. I also managed to bag a birdie on 3 of the 7 par 4's (2, 12, 18) which felt pretty awesome. Can't wait till next year!

yeah, I didn't play so hot last year (63/60), this year I was almost mistake free. Just developed a plan and executed it. got some good love along the way, and no Brooksville rollers.
Oh man I was watching the 2nd round video, and I see what you mean by rollers, geez. I would have to plan on 10 extra strokes a round there with my roll away bad luck.:gross:

sure, its a lefty course

:p Upon further review, I can agree with you.

I threw my TL off the tee on 9 of the holes, which tells me that half the course was left/right neutral. My TL is almost always aimed straight, mostly flat and always under control with very little turn and/or fade intended.

I only had to bust out the forehand a few times off the tee. (holes 2, 12, 15) and two of those holes become lefty approach shots once off the tee. That leaves the other 6 holes as comfortable lefty friendly tee shots.

Having said that, my fellow lefties should have also played really well. I wonder how many MPO players who made the payout were lefties? I only know of my buddy Jordan (missed MPO finals by a few strokes) and my buddy Dave who played decent and made finals in Pro Masters.

I ended up throwing a Mako a LOT. Hole 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... All threw a Mako at least one round off the tee. Hole 7 is a Roc, Hole 8 Roc, Hole 9 ES Katana. Hole 10 I threw Mako playing it safe, getting to about 80 feet. Hole 11 I will admit is a lefty friendly hole, I birdied it both rounds with an ES XCaliber (that's REALLY BEAT!), 12 Mako, 13 XCal, 14 Mako, 15 putter, 16 Mako, 17 Roc, 18 Monster or Thunderbird.

Basically there are a lot of shots that reward straight shots and landing flat. That's why i threw so many mids. Zero sidearms off the tee. Hole 15 is what I called the ultimate righty sucker hole. I saw zero 2s and multiple 4s and a 5.

Hole 16 should change tee off into the glade to the right of the Y tree with a good shot hitting the top of the hill where the basket was last year. then play to the hill top basket. should eliminate the potential for worst lies ever... Bring back old hole 14. that hole is one of the best.

Matt, how much did this year's layout vary from last year's?

1-9 were nearly identical. Baskets may have moved 10-20 feet here and there but all those holes played the same.

10 was strangely different. Basket only moved 40-50 feet back towards the tee and up to the top of the hill as opposed to on the down slope but it seemed to make everyone play the hole very differently. Last year I think I only saw one person throw the high line across the ridge, this year every single person took that line. I think maybe more people had resigned themselves to just taking a 4 on the really tough par 3 it was but this year everyone thought the 3 was more doable. Still lots of 4's but a couple more birdies.

11 was the same cliff tee shot with the rest of the hole cut off. 550 straight off the cliff par 3.

12 was a new hole. Severe dog leg left around a mando to a pretty well protected green. There were defined lines to get there but they were tight.

13 was a new hole. It was marked 612' but my gps said it was more like 525' which I believe as I was nearly pin high with a slightly down hill air shot. Wide tunnel shot that finished right at the end. This basket was placed in the same area as last years 12 basket.

14 same as last years 13.

15 was a new hole. Short hole with a tight entrance to a basket up a hill to the left. It was nearly impossible to get a disc to skip up to the basket area and stay there. Most skipped up and hit something or rolled back down to the same area leaving you with a 40-60 uphill putt.

16 was placed on the same fairway as last years 15 but the tee was pushed back, the basket was moved further up the hill and it was considered a par 4. I thought this was a considerable upgrade from 15 last year, that hole seemed to require more luck than skill. There were still some nasty rollaways to be had this year but you had more length to and an extra stroke to try to recover from them.

17 same as last years 16.

18 same.

I played comically bad in round 1, just one of those rounds I guess. I cut 9 strokes off of my score the second round and still was not happy with how I played.

18 was the highlight hole of both rounds for me. First round my drive slipped out of my hand and barely made it off the cliff, I was so thoroughly disappointed I didn't even get to watch my disc fly off that cliff I decided to retee. My retee landed on the left side of hole 9's fairway, from there I proceeded to nearly can my upshot for a circle 4, I made the putt for a bogey 5 with a retee. Second round I put my drive right in the middle of 9's fairway and put my upshot within 10 feet of the basket for a birdie. For those that havent played there 9 and 18 basically share a giant landing area with players from both holes almost taking turns playing through the area.

On the other hand hole 6 killed me both rounds. I just wasnt comfortable with the shot off the tee, even in practice, and managed a double bogey 5 on one of the shortest holes on the course both rounds.