• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw high, nose down.

wolito

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
I need some advice here on how to throw a disc high over trees. A few holes at a course here has trees about 100-150 feet down the fairway that I want to throw over. The problem is that they are between 50-75 feet high and when I throw my driver in order to clear the trees, I throw the disc with a nose up angle, thus it goes out a ways, stalls, turns left and dives right down. I throw RHBH, get about 350' on my drives. What is a good technique to throw a disc high, with getting the nose down so I get some respectable distance and not having it fade and stall? Obviously an overhead shot would be a great alternative, but have yet to develop that shot. Any suggestions?

bomb hyzer on right with star katana (very fast and glidy disc, use tons of snap and hyzer release)

or

bomb anhyzer on the left side with SurgeSS Z(release on the left side, slightly elevated with good snap....disc should release flat in the direction you are aiming)

I need some advice here on how to throw a disc high over trees. A few holes at a course here has trees about 100-150 feet down the fairway that I want to throw over. The problem is that they are between 50-75 feet high and when I throw my driver in order to clear the trees, I throw the disc with a nose up angle, thus it goes out a ways, stalls, turns left and dives right down. I throw RHBH, get about 350' on my drives. What is a good technique to throw a disc high, with getting the nose down so I get some respectable distance and not having it fade and stall? Obviously an overhead shot would be a great alternative, but have yet to develop that shot. Any suggestions?

Hyzer spike?

Spike hyzer like you guys are saying isn't exactly what I was thinking. I guess I could play around with that idea a little bit. Just don't know how much more distance I would get out of that other than throwing high and having it stall out on me. I am certainly able to throw it high enough, but wanted to get distance at the same time.

I think I see what he's saying with the katana hyzer. You throw it high, so it gets high. Because it is understable, it flattens out some, so you get flat flight. Because you threw it on a hyzer line, it keeps its nose down, so you don't stall out. I'll have to play with that some.

Katana is almost like cheating...but the trick Ive learned is to throw something that will move a lot in the air.....either a huge flex or a huge hyzer turn fade type throw....use a lighter weight I'm thinking DX or Pro as those discs will produce the most glide....any direct line will burn to the earth too soon I think a glidey Valkyrie or Viking in DX or Pro could work that crazy line

50'-75' of height on a line drive with the nose down is difficult to to unless you have a lot of power. Not throwing flat will help a bit, but I'm not sure it will be enough, or if you're even throwing flat to begin with.

I'd say a slower disc or a steep hyzer will be the easiset ways to do it but, as you're finding, won't give you much more distance.

Learn to tweak your wrist (like turning the key in a lock) right at the release point. This little "tweak" will put the nose down and allow you to throw very high, preventing in some sense, stall.

This is not easy, but will come with practice.

Wouldn't it be best in this case to take something overstable and throw a high flex shot?

That's what I was thinking. Something like a Force thrown with a lot of anhyzer and snap, but not to the point where it won't be able to come back.

How much distance do you need for this particular hole? I know you stated you wanted to throw over them, but is a roller an option? Just an idea...but I've found some love for this shot in dealing with tree lines as a safer way through.

I have a similar hole on my home course where I throw a big flex shot:
Wraith throwing it upward but anhyzer and slightly nose down or flat...it will turn right, flatten out, then mostly glide forward until it does eventually stall out and fall left...but that's after some 300' or more of air time...

Katana is almost like cheating...but the trick Ive learned is to throw something that will move a lot in the air.....either a huge flex or a huge hyzer turn fade type throw....use a lighter weight I'm thinking DX or Pro as those discs will produce the most glide....any direct line will burn to the earth too soon I think a glidey Valkyrie or Viking in DX or Pro could work that crazy line

Thats why I don't have a Katana, I want to learn how to throw a disc just right. I do have a DX Viking lightweight that might do the trick. I will dig that out and work with it a little bit. I was kind of thinking a flex shot as well.

50'-75' of height on a line drive with the nose down is difficult to to unless you have a lot of power. Not throwing flat will help a bit, but I'm not sure it will be enough, or if you're even throwing flat to begin with.

I'd say a slower disc or a steep hyzer will be the easiset ways to do it but, as you're finding, won't give you much more distance.

I tried the steep hyzer shot like suggested today, and I really didn't get that much distance on it, not what I had in mind. I can get over the trees well enough, but not much distance after that.

How much distance do you need for this particular hole? I know you stated you wanted to throw over them, but is a roller an option? Just an idea...but I've found some love for this shot in dealing with tree lines as a safer way through.

Both holes in question are nearly 500 feet long. A roller on these holes is truly not an option due to the terrian as rocky and hilly, not roller freindly.

I think I see what he's saying with the katana hyzer. You throw it high, so it gets high. Because it is understable, it flattens out some, so you get flat flight. Because you threw it on a hyzer line, it keeps its nose down, so you don't stall out. I'll have to play with that some.

this works, there is a hole on a temp course here in columbus where the trees are 50-75 feet tall and about 250 feet down the fairway with the hole being 400 feet. I never tried to go over it until i could throw a hyzer flip that gets up but turns, And yes the katana is what has allowed me to throw this shot and park it. A surge ss can almost do it for me but if you are staying away from fast discs I would suggest a well broken in stable disc. If your viking is broken in well it would work, the hyzer release allows you to get it up without it being nose up.