• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing from a standstill

kyledstauffer

Eagle Member
Played several entire rounds today from a complete standstill and man did it help! I saw a huge boost in accuracy and in some cases in distance too (mids and putters). Obviously it means my form is messed up, but I think the main reason is I only had to concentrate on what my arm/torso was doing without worrying about the footwork. Thoughts?

I am really looking forward to focusing on a standstill throw, based on some input from a few people on here.

I tore my PCL this summer and had to play at a standstill the whole time to ensure I didn't further any damage. All I can say is it took a bit to get used to, but as mentioned earlier, I was able to increase my accuracy. Eventually I ended up throwing as far as with movement. I believe my mechanics improved because it forced me to engage my core. All and all probably good for my game, but it took a long time to see results playing at a standstill. Good luck.

Standstill is where it's at. If you're considering making it a much bigger part of your game feel free to reach out to me for any help. I'd like to consider myself a premiere standstill only driver.

Be prepared to have people tell you things like "imagine how much further you could throw if you took a run up!" People don't really understand standstill throwers. My brother is a standstill only thrower and I overhear that all the time..

Standstill is where it's at. If you're considering making it a much bigger part of your game feel free to reach out to me for any help. I'd like to consider myself a premiere standstill only driver.

Any advice would definitely be appreciated. I mostly used it for mids/putters, but I'd love to be able to drive farther with it too. Do you "step into" the throw with your right foot (RHBH) or just use torso/arm?

I do not step into it at all, but it's definitely not limited to torso/arm, with the hips playing a "pivotal" role in leading my torso followed by shoulder and arm.

So, GCR, do you lift your feet up at any point? Maybe like lifting up your front foot heel on the reach back or back foot heel on the followthrough?

Do you know of any videos out there that illustrate a similar throw to yours? We are all waiting for your vid of course... :)

(Pivotal role, heh.)

Mike C's video where he's testing out the Axes has a few with no step; but there is still a big followthrough.

I use a standstill for some mids and putts, too, and use one step for FH. After watching Nockamixon, I can see where standstill is really useful.

I want to know what people mean by "standstill." I throw with no runup a lot, but there's still a pivot and single step forward with the non-pivot foot, or "stepthrough." Do "true" standstills mean no stepthrough at all?

I'm particularly curious because one world champ wrote that her big jump in distance came after she broke her leg skiing, and she played on crutches in the snow and learned to drive from a stand still. I can imagine her doing a step through with the non-pivot foot in a cast, but I don't know.

I think it's valuable to know how to throw from a standstill. You'll learn a ton about the basics of the throw and the importance of core strength. I would, however, suggest learning multiple ways to throw. One step, two steps, side step and the run up.

Jen, there is still a pivot and follow through. Always follow through.

I'd love to see a video too.
Trying to work on my form before summer tournament season is in full swing and I think a good standstill would help a lot with that.

I standstill frequently at ~250', have for years. Rest assured your accuracy will improve with a good chance to increase overall D.

I remain stationary as much as I "stepthrough" on these shots. For me, it depends more on the lie, distance, obstacles etc. whether or not I have to follow through completely on my pull.

The Dan Beto video from the technique sticky goes one step further and has you starting by throwing from a standstill and with no reach back.

IMO, the biggest advantage of learning to throw from a standstill is that it's much easier to learn to get your weight shift figured out. The biggest bonus is that you also end up with a really easy way to power down, assuming you also learn to incorporate a run up. Rather than there being a gap between classes of disc (e.g. putters and mids or mids and fairway drivers), there's an overlap and the number of options you have grows.

A run up is not required to throw far, but you can throw farther with a run up than without. I really think that learning to throw from a standstill is a necessary skill to learn.

Russell helped me heaps when I lived out in his area. My form was a mess and after only two or three rounds of putting his advice/instruction to use, not only was I throwing farther but also more accurate. This guy knows his stuff on the subject. I wish I was still in AZ so he could help me more, I've kinda hit a wall..

Be prepared to have people tell you things like "imagine how much further you could throw if you took a run up!" People don't really understand standstill throwers. My brother is a standstill only thrower and I overhear that all the time..

This, all the time. People ask me why I throw from a standstill and I just tell 'em my form is crap or I trip myself with an x-step.