• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

throwing grips

solomon.trenton

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
What kind of grip do you use when you throw backhand, forearm and tomahawk? I use three fingers underneath and one on the rim for backhand. Forearm is my middle and pointer finger touching under the rim. Tomahawk is my pointer finger on the inside of the rim and my thumb touching the front of the disc.

For backhand I use a power grip (all 4 fingers under the rim) for most anything over 200' and more of a fan/control grip (rim resting in outer knuckle of index finger, middle and ring on the bottom of the flight plate and pinky on the rim) for approach shots < 200'. Tomahawk and sidearm are the same, middle finger on the rim, index finger either next to it or a little away from it on the flight plate.

For backhand I use a power grip (all 4 fingers under the rim) for most anything over 200' and more of a fan/control grip (rim resting in outer knuckle of index finger, middle and ring on the bottom of the flight plate and pinky on the rim) for approach shots < 200'.
Ditto... except I'm a 3-finger power grip guy with the pinky curled underneath.

ERic

I do the 3 finger power grip too! I thought I was all alone. Some guy got me on to it swearing that was better than the 4 finger grip because the pinkie has been shown to have a slower reaction time than the rest of your fingers... Don't know if I believe him any more but I did at the time now I'm stuck with it.