• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing Nose Down

Bueckers17

I have problems throwing my disc with a nose down orientation when I try to get my disc 25+ft in the air. When I get my disc that high I seem to throw it too nose up, causing it to stall out an crash hard left, or right, depending on which hand I throw with. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Thanks.

It's easier with a hyzer-flip. Also the harder you throw it will naturally rise a bit.

It's very difficult to do on flat throws, and with discs that are right on the "edge" of your ability to get up to speed. If you get them slightly too high they will stall. However with a disc that you can overpower you'll force it through that point a bit more easily. So I'd say hyzer flip something that you can throw pretty hard.

by wrist down, do you mean lock your wrist down as if your fingers were pointing to the ground when you're in your reach back, if you didn't have a disc in your hand?

zzzzactly!

wristdown01.jpg

if you try some diff stuff w/ your grip... you might also try the bonapane grip.
it was REALLY not comfy for me at first.... but when throwing a mid or putter. once i got used to it and saw the effect... it was easy enough to modify my normal grip to get the same angle.
i still can't throw one w/ control at over 50% power... but it's a shot thats good to have in your bag.

i have trouble with nose angle (any sort of glide in a disc and it takes off HIGH). looking at video of myself throwing, this has more to do with the fact that i'm not rotating my hips through quickly enough, and i wasn't bending my elbow when moving the disc across my chest. working on those has really helped with the nose angle and flatter trajectory of the disc. it could easily be your hand position, but this might be a place to look, too.

I have lots of trouble with this issue too. I think my problem comes from my hips as I have noticed that when I really get my hips into the throw it tends to throw my spinal alignment into the higher throwing angle. Any suggestions on how I might fix this?

if you try some diff stuff w/ your grip... you might also try the bonapane grip.
it was REALLY not comfy for me at first.... but when throwing a mid or putter. once i got used to it and saw the effect... it was easy enough to modify my normal grip to get the same angle.
i still can't throw one w/ control at over 50% power... but it's a shot thats good to have in your bag.

I was also going to recommend the Bonopane grip fit since field work. It is pretty hard to throw nose up with it.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/daves-tips/daves-grip-tips.html

There are four things I teach people to do to help them throw nose down.

1. Grip the disc a specific way. The base joint of your index finger should be above the rim of the disc when you grip it for a backhand drive. This helps force the disc into a nose down position.

2. Tilt your wrist down, the "handshake position." This takes some practice to maintain during the actual throw, but it is very important.

3. Pulling on the same plane you release. Many players, especially newer players, pull back from a lower point than they release. I instruct people to put your arm out like you just let go of a drive, and start your reachback at that same height. Usually its about level with your left shoulder (RHBH).

4. Good weight shift. Getting your weight forward is essential to throwing nose down, and getting distance. One mistake many people do that prevents them from doing this is taking too long of a final step in their x-step footwork.

If you watch some of my instructional videos on www.youtube.com/thediscgolfvids I elaborate on these concepts.

This article might help:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/angles.shtml

One way to work on it is to start at a height where you are getting the nose down through the apex. Then aim slightly higher and work until you're getting the nose down though the apex. Repeat. Remember that as others have said, it's easier with hyzers and anhyzers (that article might help explain why) and with slower discs.

Latest posts