• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thumber/Tomahawk Advice

I have never used the tomahawk shot before, just thumbers. I tend to only throw thumbers when I'm in sticky situations and can't throw my normal RHBH shots (i.e., when I have shanked my disc into the woods and can't throw my disc within hitting several other trees/branches/bushes). I typically use only my Buzzz or Magnet for thumbers; however, I have used some of my distance and fairway drivers in the past. I am in agreement with what a lot of people have already said: use a slightly [over]stable disc when throwing these overhand shots. They tend to be a bit more accurate when you're throwing them.

I really like the feel of the XXX for thumbers. The rim feels a little more comfortable than a Firebird IMO. Even though it is a slower disc I can throw them a little further than the FB's.
I use a Schwebby grip as well. I would say my max D with them is somewhere around 350+ feet. Opto plastic is generally what I use, but for extra distance my frost line XXX goes even further. It is flatter than my Opto ones.
I haven't really had the need to do the Tomahawk as much, but using my flick grip seems to be fine whenever I find myself throwing it.

I learned how to play disc golf by throwing ONLY tomahawks! By "ONLY" I mean every single shot except for putters was with a Tomahawk. It was a natural motion for me coming from a non-disc/baseball background. I've since developed a full game, of course, but I bring this up as a point of emphasis for how much Tomahawks were used in my game, and still pulled out occasionally. It's safe to say I have PLENTY of experience with them.

So, what do I recommend? After Initially testing many discs, the one that I always gravitated back to for overhand shots was a max weight, flat, champion monster. I have yet to find a disc more consistent for longer overhand shots than that. I can easily pump them out over 350-400ft and usually can hit within the circle at that distance.

Ultimately it comes down to what you're comfortable with, but for consistencies sake, I can't recommend the champion monster enough. I've been using the same one now for over 6 years and it never lets me down. My motto is, "when in doubt, hammer it out"!

i've always thrown with my index and thumb for thumbers, forehand grip for tomahawks. i like tomahawks because i can manipulate flight angles at shorter distances very easily for skips and pancake landings. i prefer thumbers for hard "through the trees" crazy flight paths and distance. my thumbers suck though, and my OH game in general is 250' and in. i think i max around there. i can't throw thumbers without a big time wobble. i'll try the middle finger maybe from now on.

Latest posts