• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thumber

wscooby

I have been using a beast champion 167G right handed thumber, it has been going left about 30 feet from my aiming point before it turns right. What can I do to make it hold a tighter line? I throw completely over the top, there is no oat involved in my thumbers. Do I need different disc? heavier disc? Grip change? I generally aim about 30 feet in air.Thanks for advice in advance.

I would use a more stable disc. I prefer a XXX, but a Firebird, Banshee, Predator would all work well. Some discs seem to have more left to right movement with a thumber. The Firebird was probably the straightest thumber disc I have used. I get more distance from a XXX, but any over stable disc is probably worth trying.

^^^^What he said.
A more stable disc will fly straighter, farther before turning.

The new CFR glo Firebirds are unbelievable thumber discs. They fly farther than whippet-x's and the XXX. Try a whippet-x,it is friendly as the lip is wider than any of the overstable drivers. This advice from the "thumber king" himself,Mr. Schweberger.

Players that throw a lot of thumbers will sometimes use your technique of a ligher, less overstable disc to reduce wear and tear on the body.

The most common suggestions of super overstables are correct but you could compensate by throwing lower with more tilt or higher with no tilt.

I literly have no forehand game, but today I took the wife, dog and a basket to the park, It was a good think she dosent know a thing about the game. It was horrable.

I literly have no forehand game, but today I took the wife, dog and a basket to the park, It was a good think she dosent know a thing about the game. It was horrable.

I'm with you. I have tried and I just cant get it. Backhand just works for me.

Definitely the Flick for me. It is the flattest on top of any disc I have thrown. Amazing accuracy and distance. I use a baseball throw but I use a lot of flick (like throwing a dart) with my wrist. The only downside is that sometimes it will roll after landing. I throw it about 300 feet on average.

Flick or XXX. I tried out the firebird, and it just wasn't for me. I get more distance throwing OH with a champ beast. But definitely try out the flick, it's a solid disc.

Firstly, i'm an 80% thumber thrower off the teepad. I've played tournaments where i may throw only 2 drives "regularly (RHBH)".

The disc you choose to throw truly does not matter. Many people will advise you to throw a firebird or something super overstable so that it will hold its flight path longer before it turns (thus giving you extra distance). If your throwing a thumber on a wide open hole with no trees or tight gaps to throw threw then yes that disc is the way to go. BUT on the average hole "especially wooded holes" the disc you choose to throw does not make much of a difference at all.

There are 2 things that determine any discs flight path with throwing a thumber. The first is wrist snap, and the second is the angle at which you release the disc. Not only do I use my thumber off the pad but I use it for simple upshots also because once you master the flight of the disc you can be very accurate.

How I hold the disc
Very simple. I just make sure the digit of my thumb fits on the inside rim of the disc "where the sharpest point on a new disc for example" would be. The only other finger touching the disc is my index finger and the backend of the disc lays inside the inner part of my hand. (If you were to stick your hand out like you hand was a gun those are the parts of the hand that come in contact with the disc). The other fingers are "crunched" together all supporting the index finger. The index finger comes in contact with the bottom of the disc also grasping the rim with the end digit. I grip it fairly tight, you dont want to have a loose grip or a wet index finger or your going to do a grip lock version of a RHBH.

Wrist Snap
The way you snap the wrist determines how it (the disc) will fly. There are 2 ways to snap your wrist. I'd describe the 2 ways as (using examples) "the fishing rod cast snap" and the "turn the key snap". With the cast snap your snapping your wrist much like you would if you were fishing and trying to cast your bait as far as you could as straight as you could (throwing vertically). When throwing this way the wrist isnt turning its stationary and your just snapping your wrist before you release the disc. Throwing in this way results in the disc staying up and down longer and turning slower. Its a great shot if you want distance OR there is a tight gap (trees) you have to hit early. The second is the turn the key snap.... When you do that snap your literally turning your wrist when you release it much like you would do when your unlocking the door to your house or starting your car. This results in the disc turning much faster, not holding the line long. This would be great for a shot that turns right quickly if your a right handed thrower.

Its very important to practice and realize how hard YOUR snap determines what the flight path of the disc will be. In general.. the harder the snap the quicker the disc will turn, the slower or less snap you give the less it will turn...

I use little to no snap at all when throwing upshots for example.. Its a smooth shot that hits the ground and pancake slides to the basket. It can be highly accurate when you master it!

The angle you release the disc at
This is probably the most important... just like how you snap the disc before you release it the angle at which you release it will determine how it flies. Its just like a pitcher in baseball... some of them throw it straight up and down... some of them throw it sidearmed where they dip down towards the ground. Where you release it determines where its going to end up and the line its going to take when you throw.

If your ending up 30 feet to far right your probably releasing it on to much of a sidearm (more elbow bend) causing the disc to turn quicker than it should. Likewise with ending up to far to the left you'd be throwing it to much straight up and down not letting it turn quick enough and therefore it turns slower than it should you would need to bend your elbow more and throw it more sidearmed.

Mixing and matching the snap you give with the angle you release the disc at is everything when throwing a thumber. The disc does not matter all that much..... Unless your going for distance any disc you choose can be a quick turner or a longer line holder....

Good post. I'll throw a thumber 3/4 to almost sidearm sometimes to get the correct release angle and make a sharper, lower right turn. Over stable discs will get big distance, but playing around with release angles and less stable discs will open more lines for you. All hail the mighty thumber!

Ditto on thelyonsking post.

When all else fails, I will fall back on the thumber to save some strokes as long as I have some room to work with.

What I have used,

Z Flick ~ max distance with a slower/later flip
ESP Venom ~ another max distance thrower that barrel rolls sooner and sticks better on landings
Champ Valkyrie (older runs) ~ Great distance and average speed flip, turns into a roller on landing for extra distance, also excels in FH and BH departments
Champ Firebird (older runs) ~ Good distance and most comfortable to throw.

I've recently lost three of the above though to water/swamps and trees and am using the firebird exclusively for now.

There are many more that work well (wildcat, xs, predator, etc...) too, it all depends on what you need them to do. My 2 cents, use something in a Z/champ plastic. Thumbers and Tomahawk beat the crap outta discs. Also, if possible, find one that you can BH and FH with too.

I use a 150 Flick with a lot of success for most all of my distance overhands...thumbers and tomahawks. If I need something that turns quicker, I'll use a Valk or a RoadRunner. But plan A) for overhands is almost always that 150 Z Flick.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've also thrown a Comet on some pretty crazy thumber lines through thin gaps on shorter approaches.

More flick love from me... I throw a thumber off te box 3 times a round every round at my local course, and I use the Flick every time.... Nice, tight line, doesn't drift too far right, even in the wind... Got my second ace with a thumbed with my flick... Gotta buy a new one so I can retire it.

thanks for all the info lyons!

I've been working on some thumbers, can throw decently accurate tomahawk (250' and under) but the thumber has eluded me. just wasn't confident in the grip and was getting all kinds of flutter. focusing on the snap and it has cleaned up a lot.

got my first thumber birdie, on a hole that is normally a tight (but short) putter turnover shot. it allows me to hit a bigger, closer gap. as long as i hit that gap I either park it or have a good look at a 2.