• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

i want to try another thunderbird...mine may be a dud...puddle topped.. champ..not much glide...i saw some yesterday...had heartbeat...little dome...how will these fly...?

i want to try another thunderbird...mine may be a dud...puddle topped.. champ..not much glide...i saw some yesterday...had heartbeat...little dome...how will these fly...?

You definitely don't want a super flat Thunderbird.

They can fly true to the numbers, or be fairly beefy.

I used to bag a champ Thunderbird that flew perfectly to the numbers (9, 5, 0, 2). I've seen others that had more late fade and less glide.

So I picked up a few Thunderbirds, I got 2 Star Thunderbird F2 and a special edition GStar Sparkle from 2014 European Masters (from ebay). The edge of the Gstar is noticeably different (thinner) than the Stars, which are basically identical. The rims of the Star Thunderbirds are pretty much halfway between the thickness of this GStar Sparkle and a Champ FIREBIRD I have. These seem like different discs.

So I picked up a few Thunderbirds, I got 2 Star Thunderbird F2 and a special edition GStar Sparkle from 2014 European Masters (from ebay). The edge of the Gstar is noticeably different (thinner) than the Stars, which are basically identical. The rims of the Star Thunderbirds are pretty much halfway between the thickness of this GStar Sparkle and a Champ FIREBIRD I have. These seem like different discs.

Can you make out any Gstar factory marking ink in the middle of the bottom plate?

Can you make out any Gstar factory marking ink in the middle of the bottom plate?

Yes, just barely making out black pen saying "175 G TH" I'm guessing the " '*' 5 pointed star" is in there too, but I can't make it out against the black gstar plastic.

The F2 Star Thunderbirds are also black and they had "175 *TH" in silver sharpie.

None of the three discs have any imprint on the bottom saying "THUNDERBIRD"

You basically could never know what these Blackstar Thunderbirds were once the silver is wiped off.

This Euro Masters black G* sparkle disc has the sickest stamp ever, a king spinning a disc in one hand, and his goblet is a mini basket. Gold holofoil. Had to snap buy the thing. IDK if I should throw it. I'll put up a pic and try to get a price check.

Last edited:
Man I really wish there were some champ color glow thunderbirds for sale. I just ordered two AB 2021 series champ color glow Teebird3s. I hear they're neutral flatness and gummy.

A DX Thunderbird is my driver in my 3-disc travel "bag". Surprisingly versatile driver. If you're the kind of person that throws DX drivers don't sleep on the Thunderbird.

I agree. I bag them along with DX TeeBirds. The first one I got was super flat but since then they have been coming out perfect.

I bought a small stack of the DX Thunderbirds when they first came out. I throw G* most but love the DX and pro.

So what is the consensus on Thunderbird stability by plastic? I currently have Champ, Pro, and DX.

For me the Pro was the most stable. It's starting to loosen up a little, and is certainly useful, but I've been surprised.

The Champ is the next most stable. I don't throw it much as it's a very hard/slick run of Champ and I don't love the feel.

The DX Thunderbirds are long are flip-up masterpieces IMO. As they beat in they fly all the lines but with less height than say, a DX Teebird. I've almost stopped throwing the DX Teebirds unless I need the height.

I've heard Star are the most stable and there is clearly some love for the G*. Curious where these two fall vs my quiver.

I find it interesting that I've seen no Halo Thunderbirds being thrown by the pros, though they seem to exist. Seems odd with the popularity of halo plastic generally on the Wraith, Destroyer, and Leopard3.

The dome & plastic stiffness are best indicators. Most OS are embossed stock champ and luster champ with a bit of heartbeat pop, least are older penned MF champ and stock champ with flatter profiles (think TB vs TB3 dome). In between stability and dome are the color glow champ and all the star ones (penned and embossed). The penned early run star are a stiffer plastic than the newer embossed.

Maybe the Koling Thunderbirds for 2021 will be Halo, seems to be the trend with a few tour series molds changing from swirly star to Halo so far (Wraith, Destroyer, and Leopard3). I think each of those had a non-tour series run in 2020.

The dome & plastic stiffness are best indicators. Most OS are embossed stock champ and luster champ with a bit of heartbeat pop, least are older penned MF champ and stock champ with flatter profiles (think TB vs TB3 dome). In between stability and dome are the color glow champ and all the star ones (penned and embossed). The penned early run star are a stiffer plastic than the newer embossed.

Maybe the Koling Thunderbirds for 2021 will be Halo, seems to be the trend with a few tour series molds changing from swirly star to Halo so far (Wraith, Destroyer, and Leopard3). I think each of those had a non-tour series run in 2020.

Another difference on champs is the tooling on the bottom. The nice ones say rancho cucamonga and are a little flatter. One of the best fairways in the game and goes as far as distance drivers.
Newer ones dont have the rancho tooling, instead they say made in usa and are embossed. Every new THB I have tried the last two years have been a meathook. If you feel the Firebird is a bit too straight maybe this can be an option. Personally I will Continue my search for a replacement mold which seems to not exist.. :(

Not overly experienced, but found a Champion McBeth Thunderbird hiding in the rack at our local shop. It seems to make a great compliment to my Champ Schultz Leopard and Star Teebird 3. Just gotta throw it more to see where it really fits.

Personally I will Continue my search for a replacement mold which seems to not exist.. :(

Have you heard of my lord and savior, the Orion LF? They're an awesome comparable mold. Same bottom rim (Firebird) but a different top...and not that stupid Anhyzer top PDs and a lot of Discmania uses:sick:

Another difference on champs is the tooling on the bottom. The nice ones say rancho cucamonga and are a little flatter. One of the best fairways in the game and goes as far as distance drivers.
Newer ones dont have the rancho tooling, instead they say made in usa and are embossed. Every new THB I have tried the last two years have been a meathook. If you feel the Firebird is a bit too straight maybe this can be an option. Personally I will Continue my search for a replacement mold which seems to not exist.. :(

I mean if you have to have Champ just get a champ Valkyrie. The recent run champs seem to fly like a Thunderbird should and the hand feel is pretty close.

I noticed the same change in tooling with the most recent QOLFs (quite flat, not the latest run MOLF or SOLFs though) & Savants (Ch and Star, both heartbeat dome). All my Thunderbirds are the Rancho tooling with scratched out patent numbers. Same as my PDs, FD3s, Dracos, Scepters, Firebirds, and older OLFs.

I also see 2 different "Made in U.S.A." 9 speed core pieces being used, one with the Thunderbird/Savant/OLF (bigger lettering, all text bottom towards the center) and the other with OLS/TDx/Sphinx (maybe Sidewinder?) (Made In U.S.A towards center, Innova towards rim).

I'd recommend the newer OLFs as well if you want the flatter TH flights, true to the newly stamped 9/5/-1/2 numbers.

Latest posts